Konigsdam 11-day Southern Caribbean - My View

Crew News

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

According to my Culinary contacts, the 10-day and 11-day menu series vary by extracting one days menu late in the cruise.  Copy my menus and then ask when you are on board which day will be removed.  If you can get an answer early in your cruise, you will have be able to amaze your fellow passengers as you predict what will be served the rest of the days.

I would be very interested to know that day so that I can adjust my website to show both the 11- and 10-day menus.

We are on the 9 day Koningsdam on Jan 4.  wonder which day they will miss?  

1 minute ago, TrakHack said:

We are looking at the May 18 2020 sailing of the Maasdam (my husband is in nursing school and this is as early as we can go), so we will just miss you, unfortunately! 

If you choose the May 18 sailing, I can be your pioneer for all ship activities and menus as I will be doing a "Live From" on my cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leerathje said:

We are on the 9 day Koningsdam on Jan 4.  wonder which day they will miss?  

That means two days will be extracted from my posted menus.  If you copy my menus and ask early in the cruise which days, you will be covered for the rest of the days.

The Gala Night menus will be the same as will the Embarkation Day MDR lunch and Caribbean Mariner Luncheon.

Edited by Crew News

23 minutes ago, Crew News said:

That means two days will be extracted from my posted menus.  If you copy my menus and ask early in the cruise which days, you will be covered for the rest of the days.

The Gala Night menus will be the same as will the Embarkation Day MDR lunch and Caribbean Mariner Luncheon.

Will do Cruise!  thanks again for all the info!

Roger, I've been hoping you would cruise before we do as I LOVE your website! We're doing an 11 night cruise on the Zuiderdam soon, but it's a very different itinerary. How much will that come into play with the order of the menus? Below is your itinerary, followed by ours. My guess is that our Day 02 & Day 03 will be a switch, with Day 03 being Gala Night. Likely?

Do you think the two very late sail-aways on Day 04 and Day 05 will have an impact on the menus? Does the Panama Canal day (Day 08) have a different menu based on the later return of some tours? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Embarkation Day                      Embarkation Day

Day 02 Gala Night                    Half Moon Cay

Day 03 Sea Day                         Sea Day

Day 04 St Maarten                   Aruba (until 11pm)

Day 05 Martinique                   Curacao (until 11pm)

Day 06 St Lucia                        Sea Day

Day 07 Barbados                     Cartagena

Day 08 Dominica                      Panama Canal

Day 09 St Thomas                   Limon

Day 10 At Sea Gala Night       Sea Day

Day 11 Half Moon Cay            Sea Day

52 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Roger, I've been hoping you would cruise before we do as I LOVE your website! We're doing an 11 night cruise on the Zuiderdam soon, but it's a very different itinerary. How much will that come into play with the order of the menus? Below is your itinerary, followed by ours. My guess is that our Day 02 & Day 03 will be a switch, with Day 03 being Gala Night. Likely?

Do you think the two very late sail-aways on Day 04 and Day 05 will have an impact on the menus? Does the Panama Canal day (Day 08) have a different menu based on the later return of some tours? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Embarkation Day                      Embarkation Day

Day 02 Gala Night                    Half Moon Cay

Day 03 Sea Day                         Sea Day

Day 04 St Maarten                   Aruba (until 11pm)

Day 05 Martinique                   Curacao (until 11pm)

Day 06 St Lucia                        Sea Day

Day 07 Barbados                     Cartagena

Day 08 Dominica                      Panama Canal

Day 09 St Thomas                   Limon

Day 10 At Sea Gala Night       Sea Day

Day 11 Half Moon Cay            Sea Day

Youe Gala Nights should be Day 03 and next to last Sea Day.  All of the lunches and Late Snacks should be the same.  My best guess would be just swapping the first Gala Night menus with my Day 03.  Late port days should have no effect on the menus but the ship may just cook fewer meals.  I would be interested in how the menus do match though.

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The link for the Day 02 Sea Day Gala Night When & Where needs correction.

Thanks for providing us with your comments and all the scans.

Thanks for letting me know.  Creating links at midnight is not always a good idea.  Here is the fixed link:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/KD-WW-Sea-Day-02-Gala-Night.pdf

Going back to the menus- we were just on the 7 night Koningsdam Cristmas cruise and the menus were different. Most of the choices were the same overall but switched around -for example- as in the regional menu with chicken curry, or orchiette with sausage and Caribbean pepper pot the 11 day cruise has lamb curry and the menu we had had lamb shank instead.

For those that are disappointed with the new Tamarind menu I have to disagree! I loved this menu- everything was delish and for sushi lovers you can order a la carte from the Namu menu

Edited by Travrat

Just now, canadarocks said:

Thanks for the advice on menus for our upcoming cruise Roger. By any chance, did you get the Day 01 When & Where?

I did not receive one and to the best of my knowledge nobody else did either.  The Hotel Director said they were supposed to give thme out in the HAL terminal.

It must be noted that I did not receive an Embarkation Day When & Where on the Zaandam in May 2018 either. 

12 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I did not receive one and to the best of my knowledge nobody else did either.  The Hotel Director said they were supposed to give thme out in the HAL terminal.

It must be noted that I did not receive an Embarkation Day When & Where on the Zaandam in May 2018 either. 

How strange. I'll know not to be shocked if we don't get one either! 🙂

I have now uploaded my limited photo review of the Konigsdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-konigsdam-on-board

I shared the PG President's cut 36 oz ribeye steak with a friend.  It comes with the sides seen below with as many sauces as you wish (I could only eat 1/4th of it so it would be great for a family meal in the MDR).  Only a salad for lunch and of course no dessert.

Below are two pics of the steak before cutting at tableside by our waiter and one of my half with lots of veggies still available:

image.png.33e499c7f84a6de7fd387fbf5fdefef2.png

image.png.665c86a0531d024e6b349e08a922182e.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nashna said:

That's a lot of meat.  Thank you for your excellent post.  January 13th can't come too quickly.

I have asked every PG waiter to pass any President's Cut steak by my table so that I could just take a picture.  Now I can declare that I have had a personal experience with the "tomahawk".  I would not pay the extra price in the PG but my friend paid.  The steak is listed on all of the MDR dinner menus for $75 and would give the PG experience at a fraction of the cost for a family.

Edited by Crew News

Just now, Crew News said:

I have asked every PG waiter to pass any President's Cut steak past my table so that I could just take a picture.  Now I can declare that I have had a personal experience with the "tomahawk".  I would not pay the extra price in the PG but my friend paid.  The steak is listed on all of the MDR dinner menus for $75 and would give the PG experience at a fraction of the cost for a family.

It would be interesting to know how many President's Cuts are ordered per night.  I can safely say my DH and I will never order one.  I'm done after a 8oz filet.

7 minutes ago, Nashna said:

It would be interesting to know how many President's Cuts are ordered per night.  I can safely say my DH and I will never order one.  I'm done after a 8oz filet.

I have been asking that question for several years now of each of my PG waiters.  With a lot of variables, I can safely say that the average is around four per cruise with reports of only a handful of diners over the years being able to eat all of it.  I think that is why HAL decided to add it to the MDR for an additional charge.

Edited by Crew News

Sharing is a great idea! We are traveling with 3 others (total of 5) to AK in August and debating whether to go to the PG; this would be a good solution and we'd be in the MDR. Was there a longer wait for the order to arrive for you?

Edited by PSR

42 minutes ago, PSR said:

Sharing is a great idea! We are traveling with 3 others (total of 5) to AK in August and debating whether to go to the PG; this would be a good solution and we'd be in the MDR. Was there a longer wait for the order to arrive for you?

I think it took about 20 minutes to cook that thick piece of steak but that is about the same time any entree takes in the MDR.  Add the MDR soup/salad and dessert and it would be much like a visit to the PG.

6 hours ago, dshroyer said:

Roger, thanks for your website and menu pdf's.  Very helpful.  I know how much work this entails and I totally appreciate it.

In addition to enjoying the challenge of maintaining an amateur website for my photographs, collecting menus removed the need to remember menu options that were always the major topic of my coworkers post-cruise debriefing.  I learned that menus are the same for all cruises of the same length in the same geographical region and could be shared with those on subsequent cruises.  In addition, those with dietery restrictions and also foodies could use both the MDR and Lido Market menus to plan their cruises.  Menu collecting has brought me into contact with many helpful HAL culinary members and an appreciation of their efforts to feed the passengers.

Glad to be helpful.

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

I think it took about 20 minutes to cook that thick piece of steak but that is about the same time any entree takes in the MDR.  Add the MDR soup/salad and dessert and it would be much like a visit to the PG.

Thank you for the information. The people who will be joining us were "never on HAL" Celebrity fans who finally chose to join us to Alaska. I sent them your menu lists for the 7-day and 14-day recent Alaska trips and the response was basically: wow! lots of choices that look better than Celebrity! Thank you for your cruise photos and information site. :classic_biggrin: