I GIVE up. POA1 or anyone can you help? Trying to delete pics in a quote when I reply

kazu

I am trying to avoid "clutter" on a thread when I quote a reply but every time I try to delete the photos to avoid making it a long reply, the entire post goes away.

I primarily use my Ipad but even tonight when I tried on my laptop, the entire post disappears that I want to quote.

I just want to quote the text and skip the pics to keep from cluttering up the thread but nothing seems to work?

Any suggestions please?  Thanks 🙂 

If the photos follow text, I place my cursor immediately after the last text character, hold down the shift button and keep pressing the page-down arrow until the photos are all highlighted. I then hit backspace/delete. 

If the text follows the photos, put your cursor in front of the first character, hold shift and page up to highlight, then backspace/delete.

The only difference I find now is that it sometimes takes a few more page ups or page downs to get all the photos highlighted.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I am trying to avoid "clutter" on a thread when I quote a reply but every time I try to delete the photos to avoid making it a long reply, the entire post goes away.  . . .

I won't repeat the replies you've received, as the methods you've been given should work, but I wanted to thank you for your efforts to reduce the clutter on the boards.   I wish more people would stop "quoting" tons of photos, or even all the text of a long comment, when it's just not necessary.

• Like 2

It's easier to just highlight the text you want and then click on the little Quote Selection button. Here's what it looks like on a Kindle Fire. (It's pretty much the same across platforms, but the mechanism for selecting text  of phones and tablets is long-press then drag vs click and drag with a mouse on a computer.)

Selecting: 

image.thumb.png.bad858a46ab6acacbcfcdbf5e338fccc.png

After clicking Quote Selection:

image.thumb.png.ddc55dc4e229e2ebfd08868191a7a391.png

57 minutes ago, whogo said:

I do not know if this works on an ipad. With my Macbook, I highlight the desired text and then click on the "quote selection" option that pops up.

Exactly! This is the easiest way.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Highlite the pic(s) only until the entire thing turns blue; then press delete

Thanks, I've done that and then the whole post I want to quote goes away - poof.

17 minutes ago, POA1 said:

It's easier to just highlight the text you want and then click on the little Quote Selection button. Here's what it looks like on a Kindle Fire. (It's pretty much the same across platforms, but the mechanism for selecting text  of phones and tablets is long-press then drag vs click and drag with a mouse on a computer.)

Selecting: 

image.thumb.png.bad858a46ab6acacbcfcdbf5e338fccc.png

After clicking Quote Selection:

image.thumb.png.ddc55dc4e229e2ebfd08868191a7a391.png

Thanks kindly, Brian.

I'll try that.  Much appreciated. ❤️ 

20 minutes ago, POA1 said:

That works really well, Brian, and with so much less fiddling. 👏

29 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I won't repeat the replies you've received, as the methods you've been given should work, but I wanted to thank you for your efforts to reduce the clutter on the boards.   I wish more people would stop "quoting" tons of photos, or even all the text of a long comment, when it's just not necessary.

I was hesitant to start this thread as I thought it was only my problem.

Before the "new and improved" forum, I had no problem to remove pics to just reply to the text.

I suspect other people are like I and having problems deleting the pics without deleting the pics.

I'll try the copying and pasting the text suggested.

I very much appreciate the replies and glad that my question wasn't a foolish one and hope it helps others 😉 

I dislike creating "noise" or "clutter" on threads which is why I asked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Under he pictures I typed in what I wanted to say.

Then I just highlighted the pictures and hit the "delete" button.

Worked on a post in Anne's thread.

I am definitely "new and improved" forum challenged.  

Hitting delete on my Ipad wipes out the entire post. On my my laptop, it did the same.

thanks though KK.  

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I was hesitant to start this thread as I thought it was only my problem

No, it's not just you. I had "writing a tip" on my to-do list. I realized that it was an issue when I was reading the Nieuw Statendam live from thread. I already had my screen grabs captured from phone, computer and tablet in preparation. I just have to mark them up and write the instructions. It's pretty easy, although I do sometimes wind up selecting more text than I want to on my phone. I think it's because of the edges on my phone case. 

Anyway, once you know the secret of quote selection, the new system is quite a bit easier than the old one. 

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

It's easier to just highlight the text you want and then click on the little Quote Selection button.

Brian, huge thanks for this tip.  I'd been doing it the old fashioned way described in other replies above.  Yours is tons faster, especially when snipping from a very long comment.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I used my laptop when I did the test and it worked for me.

I typed my message under the pictures and then highlighted each picture starting from the bottom and deleting one at a time.

It's easy with a mouse, like on a computer. On a phone or tablet, you wind up opening the photo when you try to select it. 

One of the issues with learning the new system is that advice for the computer may not be correct for phone or tablet users. When I write up the little tutorials, I have to do two or three versions. 

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

Anyway, once you know the secret of quote selection, the new system is quite a bit easier than the old one

It works!!  Thanks Brian 😄 

Have a really WONDERFUL cruise!!  You deserve to do all kinds of scientific research after all your help to us all. 😉 

8 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Brian, huge thanks for this tip.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

It works!!  Thanks Brian 😄 

Happy to help! I noticed the Quote selection button by accident, and I thought, "Hey, this is genuinely useful." 

• Thanks 1