Interior Cabins for 3 people - Nieuw Amsterdam

LMaxwell

I have the opportunity to "cash in" reward points from work towards a Holland America cruise.  I am just short of the amount needed for an Oceanview (and the way it is structured I can't just pay out of pocket to get an OV) but do have enough points for an interior room.  

There are 3 of us.  The child would be 4 years old at the time and I do not want him in a pullman berth.  

Drawings on deck plan sites show a small sofa in interior rooms, but any videos I have been able to find online do not show a sofa of any type in an interior room.  can anyone tell me what a K code interior is actually like and is it suitable to cruise for 3 with a small child?  If it has a loveseat that folds out that would be ideal I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

Here are some pictures of 8092 an inside cabin with a large couch right next to the bed

http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/8092-koningsdam/

Do cabin layouts for K-dam hold true for Nieuw Amsterdam?  Booking a room with a pullman is a major problem for me so must make sure it has some other setup.  

The J- and K- cabins on Main Deck (only Main Deck) that are triples/quads would be suitable.
They are very large cabins with a couch that looks like a sectional. A portion of that couch folds out to be a twin bed.

There are also some I-category cabins on one higher deck that would serve your purpose, but I don't remember which deck they are on. Not all of them are alike.

No, the Koningsdam cabins are not like those on the Nieuw Amsterdam. No comparison.

I agree with RuthC. Book one of the J cabins on Main deck or the "Special K".

K1116,1115,1119,1125 are actually really well located, close to the aft elevators and just above the diningroom.

We have booked one of these on a number of cruises and really enjoy them.

The main deck J cabins are quads. I had one for 24 days on the NA with 3 kids. The sofabed is actually a sectional. The bed part is a twin. There is lots of storage space and room to move around. I wouldn't call them very large though. They're about 225 sq ft. Here's a review and pictures from a parent with a 4 year old - http://halfacts.com/1018-nieuw-amsterdam/

Thanks everyone.  That wraparound sofa that folds out to a single bed is good or the 3 seater sofa is ideal also.  I'll check out cabins available and report back.  Do not want a pullman because my son turns himself around and moves a lot in his sleep; even on single sofas he has fallen out!  We line the floor with extra pillows and blankets but on last cruise eventually had to put him in main bed and take turns sleeping on sofa.  No way I can put him in an upper berth.  

Absolutely the J and K category rooms are suitable. Those are our go to rooms with 2 adults and 2 kids and by far have been the largest of the rooms we have been in on HAL (we dont do suites). There is more than enough room for 3 (or in our case 4) people in the room with room to spread out too if you 4 year wants to play in the room a bit. The room is a large square room with the sectional/sofa bed on one side as you enter and the bathroom on the other side. There are I believe 3 large cabinets lining the one wall and the bed is opposite that. The biggest thing we have found is we do not trip over the furniture like we have in other rooms.

We have been in 1034, 1038 and 1068. In 1068 on both the Oosterdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam we could hear BB Kings nightly but in 1034 and 1038 nothing. My uncle and aunt have been on the other side of the ship and they couldnt hear anything. I would recommend looking closely at a deck plan to see what the room is under, especially with a 4 year old who might go to bed before the final BB Kings performance.

The pull out is a single pull out and our youngest has been on the sofa bed in those rooms and it has always been great.

The biggest issue we have had is with the pullman and its location as it is right above our heads - we have learnt how to get out of bed without hitting them, but usually once per cruise we do knock our noggins pretty good, then we get into the habit of sitting up sideways. If your 4 YO falls out of bed, he would fall onto you and the bed if in the pullman.

If you have any questions at all about cruising with your 4YO on HAL, please ask. We have been cruising HAL with our kids since the youngest was 3 and we are super familiar with the ships - especially the NA (our favourite of the ships we have sailed on).

Here is a link to HAL Faces showing the Eurodams 1048 - same room layout as the ones I mention:

http://halfacts.com/1048-eurodam/

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

9 minutes ago, CGYCruisingFamily said:

The biggest issue we have had is with the pullman and its location as it is right above our heads - we have learnt how to get out of bed without hitting them, but usually once per cruise we do knock our noggins pretty good, then we get into the habit of sitting up sideways.

On another thread, someone commented that they had the bed made up with the pillows at what is normally the foot of the bed. That way they didn't hit their heads when getting up.

8 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

On another thread, someone commented that they had the bed made up with the pillows at what is normally the foot of the bed. That way they didn't hit their heads when getting up.

We've thought of that but I know the way I sleep the pillows would be all on the ground. We have been in those rooms enough we are good at it now. But the first time it was a daily occurrence for both myself and my DH.

46 minutes ago, CGYCruisingFamily said:

We have been in 1034, 1038 and 1068. In 1068 on both the Oosterdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam we could hear BB Kings nightly but in 1034 and 1038 nothing. My uncle and aunt have been on the other side of the ship and they couldnt hear anything.

Since the entrance to the BB King venue is on starboard, people think that's the noisy side; but it isn't. The bandstand is over port side, so it is those cabins that hear the noise bleed. Starboard is quiet all up and down the half of that passageway closer to the glass elevators.
I've been in many (if not most) of those insides on all the Vista and Signature ships over the years.

Since the OP wants to use the couch pull-out bed, there should be no problem with the Pullman bed.

The placement of the main bed can vary depending on whether it's a connecting cabin or not. If it's a connecting cabin the closets will be to one side. If not, then the head of the bed is tucked in the recess.