Recently off REGAL...

Wishing on a star

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, MissP22 said:

We'll be on the Regal shortly & have to take this review with a grain of salt. 

Although we haven't been on the Regal to date I do know that they over season most of their dishes, so we'll just have to see for ourselves just how bad the food has become on this Royal class ship. 

Just came off the MSC Divina (yacht club) where the food was far better then what we are used to when on Princess.  But my ankles swelled even more then when on Princess :).  The reality is that professional chefs/cooks toss extra salt into just about everything and many of us pay a price.  It generally takes my body 3-4 days to fully recover (from all the extra fluid) once we return home.   We did also take two recent Regal cruises (in Aug/Sept and again in Nov) and found the food typical Princess cuisine which is to say adequate.  In a related matter we often enjoy a light breakfast at the IC and DW noted that the croissants just did not seem to be up to the standards we have grown to like on Princess.  Her semi-professional opinion is that they were no longer using real butter in the croissants.  On MSC we noticed that the croissants were both crispy and buttery not to mention delicious.  Just proves our personal philosophy to cruise many different lines so we can enjoy the pros of each.  As to the cons, that is just part of the travel/cruise industry.

And by the way, while speaking about MSC....that line actually has pizza that beats the best of Princess (which is darn good).  In fact, MSC has pizza for breakfast (with eggs on top), lunch, dinner, etc!  I guess it is their Italian heritage.  At lunch, in their Lido, they would routinely have about 8 types of fresh handmade pizza.  Their white pizzas were the best we have had anywhere!  They also had a special restaurant that, among other things, made pizzas in many combinations...that were delicious.  And no, I did not try their breakfast pizza.  Pizza with a fresh egg on top?  No way!

Hank

On 12/16/2018 at 3:59 AM, caribill said:

Wow. That explains it all. If you can't get your first job at McDonalds, work here to check-in cruise passengers.

We just returned today from a 10 day round trip cruise on the Crown Princess from/to Fort Lauderdale.  There wasn't a single terminal staff member under the age of 55 (most probably over 65 just like us) so I don't think there are any 'first job' staff.  That's totally understandable with the number of retirees in South Florida. 

I will say that we overheard the check in agent next to us make the folks he was checking in and those on either side (including us) very uncomfortable when the passenger initially said "happy holidays" and the agent replied brusquely, "no that's not right, it is merry Christmas!"  There was silence all around and he made matters worse by digging a deeper hole saying that he wasn't going to be "politically correct even though I should be."  The passenger just muttered happy new year and left the counter as soon as possible.  Maybe if the agent's first job had been at McDonalds 50 years ago he would have been more sensitive!

All the other terminal staff we met were helpful and upbeat.

We were on an east/west Caribbean cruise last February on the Regal.  We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and had no complaints about the food or the service.  I don't remember anything particularly good or bad about check-in & embarkation so I guess that was pretty normal & routine,.

One word about MSG... I'm pretty sensitive to it and think that the Crab Shack boil I had was loaded with it.  That messed me up for a few hours but in all fairness, not everyone is as sensitive to it as I am so I can understand how one's reaction to it is affected by their tolerance of it.

We are once again taking the Regal Princess in February and are looking forward to a trip as nice as the one we had last time.

dlm

I did notice on my last trip earlier this month on Regal that embarkation was not running as smooth as usual. They were handing everyone priority boarding cards and no one collected them. I'm sure they figured out what they were doing once the second floor filled up so fast.

We were on the Regal in November and we noticed the staff didn't seem as friendly as we were used to on our previous Princess cruises.  Our waiter in the MDR also never seemed to get our beverages straight even after 7 days and it was the same order every night.  We had early dining and the courses took a long time to be served and then we felt rushed when it was time to order dessert.  Will we continue to cruise on Princess, of course, and we will enjoy ourselves but we remember a happier and friendlier time on previous cruises.  And yes, the food has gotten saltier.  I love the Onion Soup in the Crown Grill but last time it was so salty I didn't even finish it and that's saying a lot.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:00 AM, Belle said:

Sugar.....White packets that say Ship...is the replacement for Splenda. Waiter thought it

was because it was cheaper then Splenda.

We've learned and toss some Splenda in a suitcase because it's all I normally use. Unless travelling from Columbia, it's never been questioned.

2 hours ago, golfb4cruzing said:

We've learned and toss some Splenda in a suitcase because it's all I normally use.

Unless travelling from Columbia, it's never been questioned.

OK, that is hilarious,

Not to condone the rude attitudes and non-friendly experience but I would like to offer insight and personal experience. While I do not work in the service industry, the expectations are likely similar to working just about anywhere nowadays. Everyone is expected to to more with less, stretch beyond their personal responsibilities and show up early and leave late. The hours cruise ship employees (especially wait staff) put in would break the majority of people here in a week. Add being away from family for months, eating the same food over and over again, and spending what money you do make to pay for internet to communicate with you family back home... it wouldn't be easy.

With that said, I have personalty experienced an immediate decline in service in a dining room on the Regal by our waitstaff at no fault of their own. When I say immediate, I mean within a day. Let me explain.

Day 1 dining on the Regal, we were greeted by our very friendly waiter and his assistant, talked to them a little, asked their opinions on food and generally enjoyed their company. They provided excellent service.

Day 2, the Maitre d' ushered a woman and her husband to a table near ours which happened to be a very lovely window table for 2. He apologized for something and asked them if this table would better suit them and they obliged. As it were, our waiter and his assistant were assigned this table and quickly met them with menus and introduced themselves. As they were speaking, she cut them off and said something about her request for a curry dish every night and if it would be met.... they had already waited 10 minutes for dinner and were "starving"..... 

Throughout the rest of dinner on just day 2, they were forced to keep up with her constant nagging and nonsensical requests.

Day 3 much of the same, she arrived late and her husband didn't join until 20 minutes later.... requested curry, etc. They had brought a bottle of wine to dinner and requested Riedel wine glasses and were given the explanation that the Riedel glasses were only to be used in Vines and that the dining room glasses were to be used. Again, she gave attitude until her request was met, again wasting time and distracting our wait staff for 5 - 10 necessary minutes. Also claimed to have paid the corkage fee and refused to give them her room key to pay when they asked.

Day 4 or 5 who knows at this point, they show up at the dining room with full (overfull) glasses of wine (Riedel). Half way through dinner, husband leaves with empty glasses and returns again, with them full (overfull). We go to Vines regularly and know they do not over pour. Apparently the rules of corkage fees shall not apply to them so refilling in their room was a better option for them.

At some point she closed the curtains to the window because she caught me looking out at the sunset.... not kidding.

On our way out of dining one night we were sure to inform the Maitre d' that our servers were doing an amazing job the first day and really trying to maintain with the couple's lack of respect for them. Without asking he knew exactly who we were talking about and apologized and was well aware of the situation.

So aside from my long winded story... we try to have a little more penitence for the crew now, knowing that they likely deal with truly disgusting, disrespectful people on a daily basis.

I'm by no way suggesting that you or anyone here has been dealt treatment based on their own treatment of the staff... but it can certainly have an affect on all of us as a whole.

Edited by PensFan1028

On January 1, 2019 at 10:47 AM, golfb4cruzing said:

We've learned and toss some Splenda in a suitcase because it's all I normally use. Unless travelling from Columbia, it's never been questioned.

This happened to us on our last cruise. No Splenda. Everything else gives me a headache. 

I will be packing Splenda from now on.

We recently cruised on the Royal Princess and I have to say the embarkation and disembarktion were the best we’ve ever experienced.  Everyone we encountered was friendly and smiling.  But, it was also our first time cruisng from Saturday to Saturday rather than Sunday to Sunday.  Maybe it’s a different staff?  My husband even commented on it, and he rarely notices unless the service is really terrible. We’ve encountered one older gentleman several times over the years when disembarking on a Sunday who was extremely rude.  He ruined the “come back new” feeling for us on one occasion enough that I tried to find a way to lodge a complaint with the port when we got home.

Food was good most days, just ok on others.  We find we have the opposite problem - food is usually too bland for us and needs salt or other spices.  And most desserts look amazing but seem to lack any sweetness IMHO.

PF1028, thank you for spending the time to share your experience.  I think most people here on Cruise Critic understand the difficult circumstances under which the ship's crew are working and most are sympathetic.  Still, you story does provide focus.

Additionally, you have my sympathy for having your cruise experience diminished.

PensFan 1028 -  I think you have hit the nail on the head.  That same couple will be the ones to come on CC and give a scathing review of the ship and Staff.  I have found over the years that being friendly, enjoying your cruise, and not expecting to waited on like royalty results in a very good experience.  We always seem to find a waiter in the MDR, bartenders in multiple spots, and a room Steward that are all awesome.  I credit it to our attitude.  Service folks enjoy waiting on those that are enjoyable to serve.  I should know, because I was in the industry for many years!!

35 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

PF1028, thank you for spending the time to share your experience.  I think most people here on Cruise Critic understand the difficult circumstances under which the ship's crew are working and most are sympathetic.  Still, you story does provide focus.

Additionally, you have my sympathy for having your cruise experience diminished.

Thank you. This encounter didn't diminish our experience.... I was just sympathetic with the servers and anyone else who had to deal with that couple. We enjoy every cruise to it's fullest.. with respect to those around us and especially to those providing service day in and day out. Happy New Year.

16 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

PensFan 1028 -  I think you have hit the nail on the head.  That same couple will be the ones to come on CC and give a scathing review of the ship and Staff.  I have found over the years that being friendly, enjoying your cruise, and not expecting to waited on like royalty results in a very good experience.  We always seem to find a waiter in the MDR, bartenders in multiple spots, and a room Steward that are all awesome.  I credit it to our attitude.  Service folks enjoy waiting on those that are enjoyable to serve.  I should know, because I was in the industry for many years!!

It is likely that they or at least one of them is a member here as we overheard them discussing things about the meet and greet, slot pull and such. But yes, we always have a good time getting to know the staff at the bars and our waiters. I like to feel that we are making their shift go by a little faster by engaging in conversation.

This thread is interesting.  We have spent more then 1000 days on cruise ships and rarely (very rarely) had to deal with a rude or unpleasant crew member.  But we have met (and witnessed) many passengers who were rude, impolite,  arrogant, or just plain nasty.  And if saying "Merry Christmas"  is incorrect then I guess both DW and I will have to live with ourselves for being incorrect.  On another thread there was somebody who complained about the crew on MSC not saying "Happy Thanksgiving" (most of the crew would not even know about American or Canadian Thanksgiving) and in this thread we have those who feel "uncomfortable" when hearing Merry Christmas.  It seem to me that crew (and staff in the Terminal building) cannot win no matter what they do or say.     These days there are just too many folks with nothing better to do then find new ways to be offended.  

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

This thread is interesting.  We have spent more then 1000 days on cruise ships and rarely (very rarely) had to deal with a rude or unpleasant crew member.  But we have met (and witnessed) many passengers who were rude, impolite,  arrogant, or just plain nasty.  And if saying "Merry Christmas"  is incorrect then I guess both DW and I will have to live with ourselves for being incorrect.  On another thread there was somebody who complained about the crew on MSC not saying "Happy Thanksgiving" (most of the crew would not even know about American or Canadian Thanksgiving) and in this thread we have those who feel "uncomfortable" when hearing Merry Christmas.  It seem to me that crew (and staff in the Terminal building) cannot win no matter what they do or say.     These days there are just too many folks with nothing better to do then find new ways to be offended.  

Hank

If this is in reply to my post #29 you have missed the point.  If you have read the entire thread, my post was made in response to the OP's comments about the check-in staff at terminal 2. I noted that lecturing customers that they used the incorrect greeting (happy holidays instead of merry Christmas) and not respecting the good will behind the original greeting offends me.  On the other hand, everyone else we dealt with on embarkation and disembarkation was very pleasant.