Question about train from London to Edinburgh

FSU Girl

Buying single tickets if not unusual - in fact return tickets can be more expensive than two singles.

Globaliser - Sorry, yes I read the bit about London city airport - sorry, though sometimes the cheapest flights do not leave from there and it is out in docklands.  I have no detailed knowledge about flights to Edinburgh though, so I stand corrected if my info is wrong in that instance.

A number of questions have been posed which I'll try to answer. Because I use trains in and out of Edinburgh all the time, I should be able to help you flu.

I always buy single tickets so if you chose one way by train and one flying it wouldn't be a problem at all. However as has been said the main station Waverley is in the heart of the city, so in fact time wise it would be no different to flying really. If you travel first class you will be well looked after. Great prices to be had 12 weeks out. Keep checking the LNER website

I've travelled with luggage regularly to and from London, Southampton (and elsewhere on holiday) and it's not a problem. As I'm joining the train at Kings Cross where it starts and in Edinburgh where the train starts, I just make sure I arrive early at the station so I can be one of the first to board and get my luggage stored successfully.  When you are buying your tickets, you will automatically be allocated seats. You can however just click on the button that says 'change your seats' and you get a picture of the train layout. I just choose a seat next to the luggage racks. If you were really worried FSUgirl, you could always send your cases up with thebaggageman.com from hotel to hotel.

I don't want to be a scare-monger but I met a lady on  train from Leeds who'd had her bag stolen. It is VERY rare however and it is the only case I've ever heard of. 

2 hours ago, FSU Girl said:

Hmm, we would be going up to Edinburgh on a Monday, but back down on a Sunday because my birthday is the following Monday and I didn't want to spend my birthday travelling. How far out would they say the train isn't running on a day due to maintenance?

At least a month in advance but since you're going in February, you can look it up now. Go to: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx

The train really is a nice relaxing trip (especially if you can do first class - probably very expensive on a Monday but should be doable on the Sunday and you can do the upgrade on the day). The sooner you book, the better the prices are (found that to my peril!)

1 hour ago, Bob++ said:

You are over-thinking this. Thousands of people take their luggage on these trains without problems so there is no real reason to worry. (so long as you can handle it yourself).  

Here is a link to the website for future engineering work, and you should check nearer the date. There is a box under the heading "Engineering work for" and you enter the date. In the next box, click on "London North Eastern Rail". At the moment it only goes as far as March 2019.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx

Thank you for the link. I definitely over think things when I'm planning a trip and can be a bit of a worrier. 

48 minutes ago, tring said:

I was only commenting on your wish to keep your luggage near to you and giving the practicalities of train travel.  I have never heard of asking for luggage to be put in the guards van so cannot comment on that.  I have also never heard of luggage going missing from the normal luggage racks which are commonly used, but I would not leave any valuables in them.

Sunday can be a quieter day on the trains as there is no commuters, though we have travelled out of another big city to London on the 1pm train last summer and shared it with a fair number of people, including a couple of stag party groups (and a large number of cans of beer).  Dawned on us that many weekenders will have checked out of their hotels at midday, so it was a popular train.  If you go for one of the cheaper trains (ticket prices vary) it is also likely to be one of the less busy trains as the prices go up according to number of bookings.  No worry if you are not fed in first class on a Sunday as there will still be a buffet carriage where you can buy food/drinks.  Weekend likley to be cheaper for first class.

Often the effect of engineering works is that the trains take a lot longer to complete the journey rather than be cancelled and cancellation of part of a journey will probably be replaced by a bus between two stations.  Train is quite doable - just that flights take a lot less time, though as you say go out/into the city centres, rather than an out of town airport.

I wonder if the trains first thing in the morning or late at night would be busy or not. Our hopes are to get the most time we can in Edinburgh on the travel days. Traveling first class seems like a great way to do it. Hopefully the prices are reasonable. 

16 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

A number of questions have been posed which I'll try to answer. Because I use trains in and out of Edinburgh all the time, I should be able to help you flu.

I always buy single tickets so if you chose one way by train and one flying it wouldn't be a problem at all. However as has been said the main station Waverley is in the heart of the city, so in fact time wise it would be no different to flying really. If you travel first class you will be well looked after. Great prices to be had 12 weeks out. Keep checking the LNER website

I've travelled with luggage regularly to and from London, Southampton (and elsewhere on holiday) and it's not a problem. As I'm joining the train at Kings Cross where it starts and in Edinburgh where the train starts, I just make sure I arrive early at the station so I can be one of the first to board and get my luggage stored successfully.  When you are buying your tickets, you will automatically be allocated seats. You can however just click on the button that says 'change your seats' and you get a picture of the train layout. I just choose a seat next to the luggage racks. If you were really worried FSUgirl, you could always send your cases up with thebaggageman.com from hotel to hotel.

I don't want to be a scare-monger but I met a lady on  train from Leeds who'd had her bag stolen. It is VERY rare however and it is the only case I've ever heard of. 

Ideally I would rather not have to do both train and plane since I'll get the hang of traveling one way and then have to learn something different. I figure there is always a chance for something to happen, sitting near the baggage room would definitely help put my mind at ease. The train station in Edinburgh is right next to our hotel so it would definitely be the easier option there. 

10 minutes ago, PhilbeachTraveller said:

At least a month in advance but since you're going in February, you can look it up now. Go to: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx

The train really is a nice relaxing trip (especially if you can do first class - probably very expensive on a Monday but should be doable on the Sunday and you can do the upgrade on the day). The sooner you book, the better the prices are (found that to my peril!)

I was only looking at February since that was all that is out so far. Our trip is in the middle of May. I signed up to be alerted when tickets go on sail so hopefully I can jump on them when they are cheapest. 

4 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

I was only looking at February since that was all that is out so far. Our trip is in the middle of May. I signed up to be alerted when tickets go on sail so hopefully I can jump on them when they are cheapest. 

OK, you can look up to 3 months in advance so wait until Feb to see if that Sunday will be ok (and book you tickets). We travelled on a Friday so it was a bit busy with people heading off for the weekend so best to book the seats as well. There are luggage racks for larger suitcases which was fine and you can put smaller ones up above. Then just sit back and relax!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 1:18 PM, tartanexile81 said:

I forgot to say fsugirl, but the best views are to your right as you travel North so try to book a seat on that side

Thanks for the tip!

I looked up the luggage size restrictions, are these very strict? I was looking at buying luggage that was 11.9 inches and when I convert the CM to Inches the max says 11 inches. Should I look for a different bag? The other dimensions were fine.

18 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

Thanks for the tip!

I looked up the luggage size restrictions, are these very strict? I was looking at buying luggage that was 11.9 inches and when I convert the CM to Inches the max says 11 inches. Should I look for a different bag? The other dimensions were fine.

We travel with full size cases around 30 inches and it's no problem. As somebody else said, there's space for large cases in the racks and the smaller cases fit above your head

21 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

We travel with full size cases around 30 inches and it's no problem. As somebody else said, there's space for large cases in the racks and the smaller cases fit above your head

Ok great! I think the length said 30 inches, I think it was the width that was the 11 so wasn't sure if an inch more would get flagged. 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, FSU Girl said:

Ok great! I think the length said 30 inches, I think it was the width that was the 11 so wasn't sure if an inch more would get flagged. 

no one will check size of your luggage-the issue is can you fit extra large cases within the luggage racks if everyone else on the train has the same idea!

I have just returned tonight from London on LNER

OK its just before Christmas and very busy but when we got on at Kings cross the luggage racks at either end were full with larger bags[less than 30 inches]

overhead racks with cabin bag size baggage were packed

one lady with a large rucksack couldn't find room in luggage racks and placed it on the floor where it stopped the doors closing and a draught resulting into the carriage-she was getting the stinkeye from fellow passengers

the issue was resolved by the guy making his way up the train with the refreshment cart

as the rucksack was blocking the aisle he flung it round the corner where it would block the exit door!

so yes train travel can be enjoyable but downsize luggage as much as you can

13 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

The Bank holiday weekends are the weekends that include the first and last Mondays in May so 6th and 27th May in 2019.  I hope you're not travelling then because so much major engineering takes place on those weekends. 

We’re good. We’ll be on the train on May 13 and May 19. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did an Inclusive Rail Break through Superbreak.com.  Kings Cross to Edinburgh return with three nights in a hotel in Edinburgh and first class upgrade. Inexpensive, on the website click, travel, rail and hotel breaks then enter your trip.  I think its got to be within so many months though.

There are two basic train service providers LNER and Cross Country Trains.  As I recall it is important to reserve seats as they were not allowing people on the train without seats at Edinburgh when we travelled as people are going to get into arguments standing the whole journey.  First class includes free of charge drinks and snacks and seats are generally four around a table one side and two facing on a table other side of train.  Across the train they are two seats aisle one seat.  In standard class it is two seats aisle two seats across. You can deduce that the seats are smaller in standard (second class).

I have also reccommended  https://wwwthetrainline.com to people from the US previously who found collecting pre-purchased tickets from the UK local ticket machine or station ticket office convenient and easy.  You need you six character code e.g.  HBVNM plus the actual credit card you used to originally purchase the ticket/s.  Credit card must be valid at time of ticket purchase and collection date at time of travel to do this.

This site is useful:

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/London/Edinburgh 

1 hour ago, john watson said:

I did an Inclusive Rail Break through Superbreak.com.  Kings Cross to Edinburgh return with three nights in a hotel in Edinburgh and first class upgrade. Inexpensive, on the website click, travel, rail and hotel breaks then enter your trip.  I think its got to be within so many months though.

There are two basic train service providers LNER and Cross Country Trains.  As I recall it is important to reserve seats as they were not allowing people on the train without seats at Edinburgh when we travelled as people are going to get into arguments standing the whole journey.  First class includes free of charge drinks and snacks and seats are generally four around a table one side and two facing on a table other side of train.  Across the train they are two seats aisle one seat.  In standard class it is two seats aisle two seats across. You can deduce that the seats are smaller in standard (second class).

I have also reccommended  https://wwwthetrainline.com to people from the US previously who found collecting pre-purchased tickets from the UK local ticket machine or station ticket office convenient and easy.  You need you six character code e.g.  HBVNM plus the actual credit card you used to originally purchase the ticket/s.  Credit card must be valid at time of ticket purchase and collection date at time of travel to do this.

This site is useful:

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/London/Edinburgh 

Thanks! We already have our hotels, just need the train tickets. But all these sites are really helpful. Do you know if there could be an issue if I buy the tickets and then my credit card gets a new number before I show up? There is a lot of credit card fraud here and I get issued new cards constantly. Would still have the same name and everything. I think I'd like to do first class tickets, it'll just depend on what the price is like. 

LNER say this:

Just get in touch with Web Support by telephone on 03457 225111 or [on customers@lner.co.ukand we'll find a solution. Unfortunately we can't issue your tickets at the station without the credit or debit card you used to buy the tickets has been lost or stolen. 

Most people print their tickets at home so that shouldn't be a problem really. Show the printed ticket and ID (passport?) and that's it.

Note that it's better to book through directly LNER https://www.lner.co.uk and you can register for an alert when you are able to book your tickets on https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/early-bird-ticket-alerts/

Edited by Bob++
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob++ said:

LNER say this:

Most people print their tickets at home so that shouldn't be a problem really. Show the printed ticket and ID (passport?) and that's it.

Note that it's better to book through directly LNER https://www.lner.co.uk and you can register for an alert when you are able to book your tickets on https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/early-bird-ticket-alerts/

Ok good. I'll definitely print everything before. I've got a stack of papers for all my tours I've booked. It'll be like I'm taking a book with me lol. I'll keep an eye the website. I believe the tickets should start become available to book in a month or so for my trip. Very helpful thank you!

The tickets the American nationals bought on the trainline.com website offered the opportunity of having them posted to USA at extra cost.  They clicked on the option to pick up at a UK ticket machine or station ticket office to avoid the extra charge.  On the website it said your credit card must be valid at the time of travel and also when presented.  I think this is to stop a random person who has intercepted your six character reference from obtaining your tickets.  The tickets provided under these conditions are identical to ones you buy at a station beigey/orange card with printed journey details on them.

For future trips, looking at Rail Inclusive Breaks can drop the train fare significantly.  It is hotel and rail integrated and dates back historically to when British Railways owned the hotels as I understand it. The upgrade to first on my trip was very small.

Regards John

Edited by john watson