Playa Mia

constable145

I'm thinking of booking Playa Mia for my upcoming trip. It'll be myself, my 5 year old, and my parents coming. 

This park seems to get some pretty favourable reviews. What are your experiences with it? 

I'm leaning towards booking through Playa Mia directly as RCI doesn't have the option to include an open bar.

Lots of positive reviews on this board, especially for the kiddie water park - perfect for your 5 year old.  Most of the negative comments are about the buffet food - ordering off the menu seems to be a better option.  Good luck and please report back with your review.

Great place. We took our kids. We took a cab on our own, and payed once we got there. It was winter and the slides were closed for repair but we still had a great time. We ordered food off the menu to split and it was good. We have also done Pradise Beach but prefer Playa Mia. 

On 12/17/2018 at 2:34 PM, USAFwife said:

Great place. We took our kids. We took a cab on our own, and payed once we got there. It was winter and the slides were closed for repair but we still had a great time. We ordered food off the menu to split and it was good. We have also done Pradise Beach but prefer Playa Mia. 

Hi-when were you there that the slides were closed? Was it the big slides that were closed? I thought they were open year round? Were the inflatables open? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Playa Mia as well as Nachi in the past.

We were actually disappointed with Playa Mia.

To start with the food buffet.

It is massive, and very long.

A lot of salads, then the main courses fries an hotdogs, nachos, cheese, burritos and such.

Out in the open, feeding frenzy for some people.

Was leary about some of the unknown items on the buffet.

The pool was very clean, warm, loved laying on the water loungers.................nice idea by them

The beach like any beach in this area, had an abundance of sea weed.

The workers on the beach assisted you with beach umbrellas and chairs, and boy did they  monitor you for a tip before you left.

The restrooms/showers were very modern and clean, but there were only 4 toilet stalls and many more changing stalls.

When it was time to leave the ladies restroom line to use the toilets was over 20 people long.

It was OK, been there done that, probably will go back to Nachi Comen (SP) this year  Why, we love the swim with the dolphins, the dining area, the ruins.

Safe travels.

24 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

We have been to Playa Mia as well as Nachi in the past.

We were actually disappointed with Playa Mia.

To start with the food buffet.

It is massive, and very long.

A lot of salads, then the main courses fries an hotdogs, nachos, cheese, burritos and such.

Out in the open, feeding frenzy for some people.

Was leary about some of the unknown items on the buffet.

The pool was very clean, warm, loved laying on the water loungers.................nice idea by them

The beach like any beach in this area, had an abundance of sea weed.

The workers on the beach assisted you with beach umbrellas and chairs, and boy did they  monitor you for a tip before you left.

The restrooms/showers were very modern and clean, but there were only 4 toilet stalls and many more changing stalls.

When it was time to leave the ladies restroom line to use the toilets was over 20 people long.

It was OK, been there done that, probably will go back to Nachi Comen (SP) this year  Why, we love the swim with the dolphins, the dining area, the ruins.

Safe travels.

I am sorry but I am not understanding some of your comments.

I haven’t been to Playa Mia but have researched it for when we travel with a little one.  It is located next to Sanchos, which is next to Nachi. This coastline is not renouned for seaweed unless storms and currents happen to bring it in - if it is at one it will be at all. We were at Nachi three weeks ago and there was plenty of seaweed that I wasn’t particularly expecting. 

I also don’t understand what “swim with dolphins, dining area and ruins” has to do with Nachi?

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I am sorry but I am not understanding some of your comments.

I haven’t been to Playa Mia but have researched it for when we travel with a little one.  It is located next to Sanchos, which is next to Nachi. This coastline is not renouned for seaweed unless storms and currents happen to bring it in - if it is at one it will be at all. We were at Nachi three weeks ago and there was plenty of seaweed that I wasn’t particularly expecting. 

I also don’t understand what “swim with dolphins, dining area and ruins” has to do with Nachi?

Boy I must have partied to hard last night

I wanted to compare it to Chakanab...

Thank you so  much for catching my mistake.

I will proof read in future before I give wrong names.

TY

Sue

2 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Boy I must have partied to hard last night

I wanted to compare it to Chakanab...

Thank you so  much for catching my mistake.

I will proof read in future before I give wrong names.

TY

Sue

Lol that makes more sense!

All of Mexico is having a seaweed problem this year.  The mainland is worse.  We spent two weeks in Mexico last year and it was horrible on the mainland.  We are skipping our annual trip to Mexico this year because of it.  Choose someplace that has other things to do beside the beach.

• 3 months later...

We did the excursion that included the buffet several years ago which is why we booked just the beach excursion alone for this Nov.  Buffet wasn't very good. We're going to do pay as you go if we keep the excursion.  Beach was nice, buffet, meh.  We'll be in Cozumel twice on a b2b on Harmony and I'm going back and forth about it.  

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

If you have the All Inclusive package at Playa Mia, does that mean you HAVE to eat from the buffet? Or can you order ala carte off the menu?

I am sure no one is going to stop you purchasing a la carte but why buy AI in the first place? Why not just buy an entrance pass and PAYG?

I suppose you have to do the math with any promotions that are going at the time.

• Like 1

Other than the little water park, Playa Mia sucks. It doesn't have a good vibe and feels too commercialized/cement, if that makes sense. As others said, the food is absolutely dismal.  The service is ok. Drinks were not great.  It feels too much like a concrete water park and less like a relaxing Mexican beach day.  There are MUCH better beach clubs all over that area.  I'd go to Nachi Cocom for sure.  Or Sanchos. Even with a 5 year old. Playa Mia is seriously pretty bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2019 at 3:51 PM, BNBR said:

Other than the little water park, Playa Mia sucks. It doesn't have a good vibe and feels too commercialized/cement, if that makes sense. As others said, the food is absolutely dismal.  The service is ok. Drinks were not great.  It feels too much like a concrete water park and less like a relaxing Mexican beach day.  There are MUCH better beach clubs all over that area.  I'd go to Nachi Cocom for sure.  Or Sanchos. Even with a 5 year old. Playa Mia is seriously pretty bad. 

Thank you, BNBR for an honest answer! I will revise my plans...

5 minutes ago, CruiszBug said:

Thank you, BNBR for an honest answer! I will revise my plans...

Playa Mia has a really great water park play area for small kids. If you were going for that and hanging there all day, it's great. But if you want beach/pool/food, there are better options. 

And yes, definitely taxi on your own regardless of which club you go to and book ahead of time.  If your kids just want to play in the water and sand and what not, beach day, I'd probably do Nachi Cocom. 

11 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Playa Mia has a really great water park play area for small kids. If you were going for that and hanging there all day, it's great. But if you want beach/pool/food, there are better options. 

And yes, definitely taxi on your own regardless of which club you go to and book ahead of time.  If your kids just want to play in the water and sand and what not, beach day, I'd probably do Nachi Cocom. 

Lucky us! No kids this time...So it will be an adult day!

1 hour ago, CruiszBug said:

Unfortunately, Nachi Cocom is not on the list my TA gave me! How about Iberostar?

Forget your TA's suggestions.  Nachi Cocom offers great food, drinks and service and a quiet, relaxing and uncrowded environment ( limited to 130 guests per day).  All inclusive for about $55 each - our favorite, beach club spot to get away from the crowds on the ship.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

Unfortunately, Nachi Cocom is not on the list my TA gave me! How about Iberostar?

We haven’t been to Iberostar since we rarely do AI and  iberostar is one of the more expensive day passes in Cozumel but we weren’t over impressed with Nachi - it was good but not great - so if my choices were between “free” at Iberostar or “pay for Nachi”, I would  definitely give Ibersostar a try.

Google “Iberostar day pass” and you will find a photo review from a Nachi fan on RC blog. 

I think it depends on what priorities you are looking for, the pool at Iberostar would probably get my vote.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Forget your TA's suggestions.  Nachi Cocom offers great food, drinks and service and a quiet, relaxing and uncrowded environment ( limited to 130 guests per day).  All inclusive for about $55 each - our favorite, beach club spot to get away from the crowds on the ship.

Sounds good!

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

We haven’t been to Iberostar since we rarely do AI and  iberostar is one of the more expensive day passes in Cozumel but we weren’t over impressed with Nachi - it was good but not great - so if my choices were between “free” at Iberostar or “pay for Nachi”, I would  definitely give Ibersostar a try.

Google “Iberostar day pass” and you will find a photo review from a Nachi fan on RC blog. 

I think it depends on what priorities you are looking for, the pool at Iberostar would probably get my vote.

I saw the review on RC blog. Matt Hochberg and his family, right? You hit the nail on the head... this is a freebie from my TA. I don't know why they wouldn't offer Nachi Cocom seeing as how it is less costly? I don't have many priorities since this will be my first ever Beach Club day (other than Castaway Cay and Labadee). Clean facilities, good food (prefer plated and authentic Mex if I can get it), relaxing with a beautiful view of the ocean. Not much of a drinker so I probably will only have a couple. Just want an experience off the ship for a change, other than wandering around the port.

9 minutes ago, CruiszBug said:

Sounds good!

I saw the review on RC blog. Matt Hochberg and his family, right? You hit the nail on the head... this is a freebie from my TA. I don't know why they wouldn't offer Nachi Cocom seeing as how it is less costly? I don't have many priorities since this will be my first ever Beach Club day (other than Castaway Cay and Labadee). Clean facilities, good food (prefer plated and authentic Mex if I can get it), relaxing with a beautiful view of the ocean. Not much of a drinker so I probably will only have a couple. Just want an experience off the ship for a change, other than wandering around the port.

I guess it depends who they have an arrangement with. Any one else in the list?

please report back if you go with Iberostar as I haven’t seen it reviewed much on here probably due to price. We are always on the look-out for new places as we are more likely to do AI on land vacations.

Edited by c-leg5

2 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I guess it depends who they have an arrangement with. Any one else in the list?

Allegro Resort

El Cid La Ceiba Beach

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort

Melia Beach Resort

Occidental Grand Resort

(plus Iberostar and Playa Mia, of course)

• 1 month later...

Not impressed with Playa Mia.  Waiter seated us on a beach chair and never returned after we ordered drinks.  We had to go up to the bar to get our drinks.  The waiter had the nerve to say to my sister when she moved to get out of the rain "Thanks for the tip"!!!  He never even returned once!!??  Why would we tip him??  Were we supposed to tip him up front?  Ive always tipped at the end.  Anyways, I was also disappointed that they didn't have paddleboards like Paradis Beach and they made you wear life vest for every water activity.