Hotels in Rome - May 2019

sun16

I have reviewed a number of posts in the Italy posts and most of what i have seen are a few years back at least. So I will ask this question hoping it hasn't been answered a number of times before.

We are spending 3 to 4 days pre-cruise in Rome in May of 2019.  Looking for recommended hotels near Vatican/Trevi fountain area.  

Also, if you booked tours of Vatican and other tourist sites. (We have never been to Europe before).  I would appreciate any info on tour companies you recommend.

Also - remember that Vatican City and Trevi Fountain are two distinct areas, not not near each other.   Anything in the 
Vatican City area would be out of the way for everything else in Rome (IMHO).   I cannot help with anything in the Trevi area, as I have only stayed near The Pantheon, on Via Veneto, and up on the highest hill overlooking Rome.   But, the hotels you see people recommend in the Pantheon area are usually within .5 miles of Trevi Fountain...

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there last week (December 2018) for a 3 day stay pre cruise and stayed in Hotel Abruzzi, which is right next to the Pantheon.    We did a similar pre cruise stay in 2013 and stayed at the Hotel Mancino 12, which is close to the Emanual II monument (wedding cake) - so it was closer to the Colosseum.  Both hotels were charming - small, clean, old and great locations.

I really liked staying at the hotel Abruzzi this time.  Our room window literally opened up to show the Pantheon right in front of you.  Staff was very friendly.   Breakfast is included at a restaurant right across the Pantheon square from the hotel.   It was buffet style - small but very good.   

Distance is relative and means different things to different people depending on how well you like to walk.   From the Abruzzi Hotel (Pantheon) we walked everywhere... Vatican, Colossuem, Trevi fountain, and everywhere else.  We did not take a cab or a bus the entire time.   Try going to google maps and input a destination and see the walking directions.  I think Vatican was about 30 min walk from Pantheon.   Colosseum was also about 30 min from Pantheon as well.   Both are interesting  walks in good areas.   You will walk more than that just going through the Vatican museum. 

Have fun !!

We will stay in Rome June 2019 (there will be six of us) We are staying at River Palace in Rome, for 5 days, then we will cruise with RC on the Oasis our first stop will be in Naples. When in Rome is it better to purchase a Faster Than Skip the Line pass to see the Vatican or Skip the Line Pass. (What is the difference)

Our first port will be Naples, we get in at 7:oo am & depart at  630Pm, we want to see the Amalfi coast, would like name of great tour company that will pick us up from port & guarantee us drop off at port before cruise ship departs the port. Would prefer not using RC cruise company, do not want to be on a large bus, would prefer small group of people. Thank you for your info!

We have stayed twice at Albergo Santa Chiara just around the corner from the Pantheon.  Nice hotel. Beds were comfy, the bathroom was a good size, small refrigerator in the room, great breakfast included.  We walked everywhere from here. Used Romecabs for transport.

we are returning to Rome may 2019, our last stay was near the forum Grand pallantino Hotel  and we spent 1 night at the Boscolo Exedra near the baths 

this year we are staying for our 1st night before  our cruise at the Hotel Quirnale  and when we return from cruise 3 nights down the street from the Trevi fountain - Hotel Delle Nazioni both look great and have great reviews 

On 1/2/2019 at 12:51 PM, meapass said:

We will stay in Rome June 2019 (there will be six of us) We are staying at River Palace in Rome, for 5 days, then we will cruise with RC on the Oasis our first stop will be in Naples. When in Rome is it better to purchase a Faster Than Skip the Line pass to see the Vatican or Skip the Line Pass. (What is the difference)

Our first port will be Naples, we get in at 7:oo am & depart at  630Pm, we want to see the Amalfi coast, would like name of great tour company that will pick us up from port & guarantee us drop off at port before cruise ship departs the port. Would prefer not using RC cruise company, do not want to be on a large bus, would prefer small group of people. Thank you for your info!

We've used AP Tours twice for tours from Naples to the Amalfi coast. We were picked up at the port and we returned to the port from Sorrento on the hydrofoil ferry. Our driver went to purchase the ferry tickets while we were having lunch in Sorrento. We made stops in Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento. It's a beautiful ride and a great day.