Water as Checked luggage in San Diego

Jen1000

KK is absolutely right.   The porters stack hundreds of pounds of luggage into those containers and use fork lifts to load them onto the ship.   If the flat of water would leak or burst from the weight of luggage piled on top of it, then all the luggage would get wet.   HAL doesn't want the liability.  You have to carry it onboard yourself.   

I have been on many cruises and two out of San Diego (none on HAL though) and always checked water flats and soda cartons in as luggage.  We have never had drinks burst or leak when checking them intact in the flat or carton.  I can accept if HAL does not allow it we will need to take the flat apart and put some in the carry on luggage.

Thanks,

Jen

I have never wanted to bring a flat of water onto a ship, so I don't have an answer for you, but I would trust Krazy Kruzers knowledge over others.

I have seen flats of drinks taken by the porters, but that was some time ago. Things change.

18 hours ago, Jen1000 said:

Hi,

We will be on the Eurodam sailing out of San Diego.  I would like to know if we can check in a flat of water with the porter to be delivered to our cabin.  

Thank you,

Jen

While not specifically addressing water (or soda), the alcohol policy states that alcoholic beverages must be in carry on bags.  I would think that extends to all beverages.

From the Know Before You Go PDF.

Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or
champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the
beginning of the voyage.

Do people do otherwise?  Yes.  But I wouldn't want to be responsible for the "rare" instance when a bottle/can gets crushed or broken and damaging not only my stuff, but other people's things also.

Edited by Shmoo here

IslandThyme started a similar thread back in July, but in relation to several cases of wine that she wished to bring on her cruise. She reported back post-trip stating that the porters took them no questions asked. Her post can be found here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2561681-have-you-taken-cases-of-wine-on-board/?do=findComment&comment=55910110

Edited by Fouremco

2 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

We are on the Eurodam right now.  We put a 12 pack of water in a small roll on, and checked it at the port.  It got to the room, with no problems or leaks.

Do you have any pricing information on the internet?  A few in our traveling party have to do some work while on the ship.

What is all aboard in the ports?  60 or 30 minutes prior to departure?

Is the ship staying on ship time or local time?

Thank you so much,

Jen

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

IslandThyme started a similar thread back in July, but in relation to several cases of wine that she wished to bring on her cruise. She reported back post-trip stating that the porters took them no questions asked. Her post can be found here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2561681-have-you-taken-cases-of-wine-on-board/?do=findComment&comment=55910110

Of course the porters took them, no questions asked.  They don't work for the cruise line.  They're not going to jeopardize a tip by saying "no".

4 hours ago, Jen1000 said:

Do you have any pricing information on the internet?  A few in our traveling party have to do some work while on the ship.

What is all aboard in the ports?  60 or 30 minutes prior to departure?

Is the ship staying on ship time or local time?

Thank you so much,

Jen

I believe the internet was about $15 a day for the second tier package, and $20 a day for the top tier package, if you purchased for the full cruise.  The internet speed was ok on port days, but was painfully slow the last two sea days. 

I believe on board was 30 minutes prior to departure.  Tendering took a long time in Cabo.  You needed tickets for a tender until about 3 hours after they started the process.

The ship was on local time.  The clocks were moved forward an hour early in morning on the day we arrived in Cabo and again the day we arrived in PV.  The clocks were moved back an hour the night we left PV, and again on the last night of the cruise.

I believe you will have a wonderful cruise regardless.

To answer your original query, we tend to take longer cruises and have never had a problem checking in a flat beverage box filled with the following: #1 six pack of bottled water (like Evian that has hard bottle packaging, that we refill with the ship's tap water for cabin use and excursions), #1 six pack of Gatorade (that helps my wife's led cramps), #1 six pack to small tonic waters (again for cramps and other needs) & #1 six pack of mixed, canned pop (for cabin use).

I wrap the carton (which fits nicely under the sink on the shelf) in 18" commercial saran wrap (which we have at the house) and tape a cabin tag on it & drop it off with the luggage at check in. We have yet to encounter a problem doing so.

Obviously this doesn't work if you need to fly into a port. However, when we do need to fly into a port whether it be within the confines of the USA or internationally I do a similar packaging with just a roll of local, inexpensive saran wrap without any problems really (that's if time permits of course).

Between the carry-on luggage bag, the smaller gizmo (aka, I- crap, computer stuff ) bag & camera bag, #2 bottles of allowable wine / couple I really don't care for caring on water, pop and such these days. My 'burro' carrying days are over I'm afraid.

Alternately, just taking a couple of waters aboard and refilling, as needed, also works great.The ship's water is just fine and dandy.

Best of luck & have a Great Cruise whatever you decide.

Be well & safe travels.

Bob 

On 12/22/2018 at 3:01 PM, Jen1000 said:

Hi,

We will be on the Eurodam sailing out of San Diego.  I would like to know if we can check in a flat of water with the porter to be delivered to our cabin.  

Thank you,

Jen

No need.  I was just on the Eurodam and found the tap/served water to be very drinkable.

igraf