MITSUGIRLY sails off into the HORIZON-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

On 4/13/2019 at 10:26 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

Oh God, no!!!  Poor Billy.  😥  His uncle and now his baby sister?  This is just too much!!!  I lost a brother, suddenly, in April 2011 and that devastated my family.  That was a terrible time, still is, but in reality, I know that tragedy hits all of us, but in Billy's case, that many and in such a short period of time...I just can not imagine.  I will definitely keep him, and all of you, in my thoughts.  I'm just so very sorry. 

Thanks so much. It has definitely been hard for him to handle. It has been hard on all of us because our families are very close.  I'm hoping time away will do him some good. He has not been doing well the last 2 months and not to mention...broke his ankle/leg and had surgery with plates and screws.  😞

On 4/14/2019 at 7:11 PM, SenatorsFan said:

Oh no, that is so sad for Billy and his family. They will definitely be in my thoughts, too. 😢

Heather

Thanks so much Heather. We appreciate it. 

On 4/15/2019 at 11:05 AM, dreadpirate3 said:

Oh, Kim, I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Thank you so much. We appreciate it. 

7 hours ago, TracyESQ said:

We were on the Horizon last June and it was closed for our whole 4-day sailing.  Womp womp.    

I read prior to our cruise that it seems to be closed A LOT during the entire cruise. At least I went in knowing this seems to happen frequently. It was open the entire cruise on our week though. 

I am late to this party......I get so excited to see you've put out a review. You've got a way of making me feel like I'm on the trip with too. Its my get away! Thanks for always sharing and please don't stop. My hubby and I cruised out of Miami for the first time last September on Vista. I loved the new ports. We have always cruised out of Texas but I have grown tired of the same ports and wanted to try something new. Aruba is on my bucket list and your review reaffirms. We are going on our next cruise in July with our kids too. Its out of Port Canaveral. Have you ever been to Amber Cove? I looked in your signature line. We do not have an excursion booked there yet.

• 5 weeks later...

I’m pretty late to the party on this one and you’ve probably already received an answer, but I believe the reason they close the SkyCourt in the evenings on both Horizon and Vista is due to it being located above the surcharge restaurants.

Another great review. We are sailing the Horizon to the ABC’s in May 2020 and your review has me even more excited. I sailed the Vista in 2017 and the decks outside the Havana cabanas are open to the public and unlocked every evening. You’d think after paying that amount of money you’d have some privacy, but no. Also, is that Sakari’s handwriting on her artwork? If so, she has gorgeous penmanship; a dying art form in my opinion. 

I love reading your reviews and seeing all of the photos.  you do an amazing job.  Congratulation on your degree.  I just graduated with my BSN in May.  I can say I  am so glad it is over.  It was not my idea but I wanted to keep my current job

On 4/27/2019 at 3:10 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Can't wait to read your next review!

Thanks so much. I hope you found the other review as well on our Freedom cruise. We had a blast. 

Up next is NCL for us. 

On 4/30/2019 at 11:23 PM, TheGirlNextDoor said:

I am late to this party......I get so excited to see you've put out a review. You've got a way of making me feel like I'm on the trip with too. Its my get away! Thanks for always sharing and please don't stop. My hubby and I cruised out of Miami for the first time last September on Vista. I loved the new ports. We have always cruised out of Texas but I have grown tired of the same ports and wanted to try something new. Aruba is on my bucket list and your review reaffirms. We are going on our next cruise in July with our kids too. Its out of Port Canaveral. Have you ever been to Amber Cove? I looked in your signature line. We do not have an excursion booked there yet.

Aww thanks for all the kind words. 

We absolutely LOVE Aruba...but more for a land vacation because I'm in beach heaven there!!! hehe

I have not been to Amber Cove yet....but....I'm going in August. 😄  (A little too late to give you any information though). But I'm going to be doing my research soon. LOL

On 5/30/2019 at 9:36 PM, mairinmaureen said:

I’m pretty late to the party on this one and you’ve probably already received an answer, but I believe the reason they close the SkyCourt in the evenings on both Horizon and Vista is due to it being located above the surcharge restaurants.

Yea, that was brought up and makes sense now. 

On 6/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, mairinmaureen said:

Another great review. We are sailing the Horizon to the ABC’s in May 2020 and your review has me even more excited. I sailed the Vista in 2017 and the decks outside the Havana cabanas are open to the public and unlocked every evening. You’d think after paying that amount of money you’d have some privacy, but no. Also, is that Sakari’s handwriting on her artwork? If so, she has gorgeous penmanship; a dying art form in my opinion. 

Really open to the public? Yuck. I would think it shouldn't be like that. I mean if I booked one of those rooms I would want the privacy factor included on sitting on my "back yard deck". 

I'm trying to think of what handwriting she had on her artwork. I'll have to go back and look. I want to say "no" because I think her handwriting is craaaappppyyy! She's so awkward with her handwriting...I mean the girl still writes her 5's backwards for heavens sake. She has started writing in cursive (even though they don't teach that in school anymore she's taken up a liking to it...in her own unique fashion of course). 

7 hours ago, sealpup said:

I love reading your reviews and seeing all of the photos.  you do an amazing job.  Congratulation on your degree.  I just graduated with my BSN in May.  I can say I  am so glad it is over.  It was not my idea but I wanted to keep my current job

Thanks so much for the comments on the review and the congrats on the degree. Congrats to you as well!!! I'm so glad it's over with too and I have NO-NONE-ZERO-ZILCH desire to ever go back now that it's done. I didn't need it for my job but figured why not...I may want to return to the hospital some day and it would make me more marketable. 

On 12/27/2018 at 3:06 PM, mitsugirly said:

We arrived at the port, took Marco's card to call him for a ride back to the airport after the cruise (IF he was going to be in the area) and headed to the lines after giving the port peeps our luggage. 

Can you please share Marco's info? I might be taking a cruise from Miami soon.

TIA

• 2 months later...

Wonderful review as always... I only have one question.  I am wanting to start looking for sea glass.  We will be on the exact itinerary as you were... Any helpful suggestions on where would be the best places to look for sea glass at any of these ports?  Thank you so much... Have a great day!!!

On 8/23/2019 at 3:14 PM, rosalindpheasant said:

Wonderful review as always... I only have one question.  I am wanting to start looking for sea glass.  We will be on the exact itinerary as you were... Any helpful suggestions on where would be the best places to look for sea glass at any of these ports?  Thank you so much... Have a great day!!!

Thanks so much.

Grand Turk would be at Governors beach. That's the only place I have encountered any.

The other places I have not found any or didn't go to a place that involved a beach. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:14 PM, rosalindpheasant said:

Governor's Beach (Grand Turk) hasn't been a very popular beach for years. I don't know, but my guess is, when Margaritaville was built, it probably took the crowds away from Governor's. There's some small shacks where they used to serve food/drinks, but those have long since been abandoned. From what I've seen and read, hardly anyone would go there for years. And I've read on other websites that it was a great place to find sea glass. We were looking for a place, too.

But in the last couple months, people in the Grand Turk forum have reported that Governor's has begun to see a resurgence of beach goers. Locals have been seen renting loungers/umbrellas. Someone even said there's now a tour of the island that uses Governor's Beach as its last stop. I don't know if it's a cruise line excursion (not necessarily Carnival) or just a tour given by locals. Sadly, I fear this means that a lot of the sea glass will constantly be picked clean. We'll be there next March for our third time, but had never gone up to Governor's. We planned to go there this time just to hunt for sea glass, but if tours stop there regularly now, I don't think there's going to be as much as in the past.

7 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Governor's Beach (Grand Turk) hasn't been a very popular beach for years. I don't know, but my guess is, when Margaritaville was built, it probably took the crowds away from Governor's. There's some small shacks where they used to serve food/drinks, but those have long since been abandoned. From what I've seen and read, hardly anyone would go there for years. And I've read on other websites that it was a great place to find sea glass. We were looking for a place, too.

But in the last couple months, people in the Grand Turk forum have reported that Governor's has begun to see a resurgence of beach goers. Locals have been seen renting loungers/umbrellas. Someone even said there's now a tour of the island that uses Governor's Beach as its last stop. I don't know if it's a cruise line excursion (not necessarily Carnival) or just a tour given by locals. Sadly, I fear this means that a lot of the sea glass will constantly be picked clean. We'll be there next March for our third time, but had never gone up to Governor's. We planned to go there this time just to hunt for sea glass, but if tours stop there regularly now, I don't think there's going to be as much as in the past.

I'm just wondering....in the massive amounts of people that cruise, how many people really hunt for this stuff? How many people even know about it? I didn't find out until a few years ago and I have been cruising for years. I really doubt that many people are out there looking for sea glass at all the beaches. But that's just my opinion only.

When I found my sea glass at Governors...I wasn't coming the beach for it (none to be seen) but I did (funny stuff here) put my mask and snorkel on and laid down at the edge of the water and then every time a wave came in, you'd see some. That's how we found all of ours the time we were there. Also, Governors is a pretty big (both wide and long) beach. Even if tours start coming there I can't imagine it being all taken up...at least for awhile. JMO

16 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I'm just wondering....in the massive amounts of people that cruise, how many people really hunt for this stuff? How many people even know about it? I didn't find out until a few years ago and I have been cruising for years. I really doubt that many people are out there looking for sea glass at all the beaches. But that's just my opinion only.

When I found my sea glass at Governors...I wasn't coming the beach for it (none to be seen) but I did (funny stuff here) put my mask and snorkel on and laid down at the edge of the water and then every time a wave came in, you'd see some. That's how we found all of ours the time we were there. Also, Governors is a pretty big (both wide and long) beach. Even if tours start coming there I can't imagine it being all taken up...at least for awhile. JMO

I agree in that there probably aren't too many people who purposefully go out looking for it. Many don't even know it's a thing. But I feel like people will simply start out by enjoying the beach & snorkeling. Then, as you said, as the waves expose some, they realize it's there. More people see it, word spreads, and it becomes a popular thing. I think the more people who are at this beach and see it, the more of it will be collected. I hope I'm wrong and there's plenty left for everyone who actually knows about it and wants to collect some.

Did you find that you had to dig around for it a little bit or was most of it in plain sight?

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I agree in that there probably aren't too many people who purposefully go out looking for it. Many don't even know it's a thing. But I feel like people will simply start out by enjoying the beach & snorkeling. Then, as you said, as the waves expose some, they realize it's there. More people see it, word spreads, and it becomes a popular thing. I think the more people who are at this beach and see it, the more of it will be collected. I hope I'm wrong and there's plenty left for everyone who actually knows about it and wants to collect some.

Did you find that you had to dig around for it a little bit or was most of it in plain sight?

I didn't find that it was just out in plain site for people to see (when we were there) and like I said, the only way we discovered it was putting on our mask and laying by the shoreline with our face under the water and when waves went in and out some would catch our attention. Otherwise, had we not done that, I'm not even sure I would have noticed it (my little one is actually the one who seen it and informed me so that's why I put on my mask and looked).

6 minutes ago, rosalindpheasant said:

Thanks so much for the information... Really appreciate it... Sounds like I will try Governors Beach while in Grand Turks... Hey maybe I will get lucky and find a few pieces... 🙂

I would just to see. I mean it's a very long beach and even if there are people there...there's plenty of space to spread out and look.

The beach

P3280205%20copy-L.jpg

See where the water is going back in on the picture below? That's where we were finding it.

P3280206%20copy-L.jpg

3 minutes ago, rosalindpheasant said:

Thank you so much.... I hope it is as beautiful when we go as your pictures are... We were scheduled to go there two years ago and it was cancelled due to weather...   Have a great day!!

You are welcome and I hope you have some luck.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:34 PM, Cafedumonde said:

Thank you for the review Mitsugirly!  Hope you heal quickly.  I can’t wait to hear about where you go next.

Thanks so much. I can't imagine not being able to take my winter cruise like always but things are so up in the air right now. :(  I appreciate the comments.

• 1 year later...

Kim I know this is off topic but my husband and I are setting up our first saltwater aquarium. We have several freshwater. At any rate I remembered one of your reviews had pictures of your aquariums and was going to show my husband if you can remember which review it was.