Animated GIFs in avatars

As much as I've accepted that the "Newest Photos" is here to stay, one thing that I find extremely annoying are the animated gifs being used as avatars.

On the old board, at one point we could disable animations, then we could disable avatars altogether. It does not appear that functionality exists on this board.

However, can anything be done about stopping animated gifs? I find that they are annoying to my eyes, and I know that for some people, at the worst extreme, they could cause seizures. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

As much as I've accepted that the "Newest Photos" is here to stay, one thing that I find extremely annoying are the animated gifs being used as avatars.

On the old board, at one point we could disable animations, then we could disable avatars altogether. It does not appear that functionality exists on this board.

However, can anything be done about stopping animated gifs? I find that they are annoying to my eyes, and I know that for some people, at the worst extreme, they could cause seizures. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

It's been mentioned, and asked for by others since the move.

Currently, it appears, we can do nothing about seeing avatars.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Not really asking about not seeing avatars, just want to stop the animated ones 🙂

I would think there's no way to make a setting that stops animated avatars from doing their thing.  Only option that would work, in my opinion, would be the ability to opt of of seeing avatars.

48 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I would think there's no way to make a setting that stops animated avatars from doing their thing.  Only option that would work, in my opinion, would be the ability to opt of of seeing avatars.

One could simply not accept gif avatars or at least animated gif.

9 hours ago, POA1 said:

What about tasteful color shifts at 10 second intervals? On the seizure scale, that's gotta be like "Barry Manilow."

I can't tell you how many times I'd seen your posts on the HAL board before it struck me that I was seeing different colors in your avatar.  🤣

(Be careful what you say about Barry Manilow . . . 😉)

Just now, Turtles06 said:

I can't tell you how many times I'd seen your posts on the HAL board before it struck me that I was seeing different colors in your avatar.  🤣

(Be careful what you say about Barry Manilow . . . 😉)

I wasn't dissing Mr. Manilow. I was just saying that he's on the calmer side of music. The really fast, jerky animated avatars would be on the speed metal spectrum end of things.

13 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

IF we were given the option.

I was thinking that the ban would be site wide. No need to confuse users with choices that many would not understand.

11 hours ago, POA1 said:

What about tasteful color shifts at 10 second intervals? On the seizure scale, that's gotta be like "Barry Manilow."

Not a fan. When hunting through a longish thread looking for a particular post one has to take the time to read the username, rather than doing a simple pattern match.

Just now, broberts said:

I was thinking that the ban would be site wide. No need to confuse users with choices that many would not understand.

Not a fan. When hunting through a longish thread looking for a particular post one has to take the time to read the username, rather than doing a simple pattern match.

Sorry to hear that. My avatar never changes. The background color cycles through seven background colors over the course of 72 seconds, pausing on each one for 10 seconds before moving on.  If it takes you longer than 10 seconds to scan a post listing, I can slow it down to adapt to your reading speed. Would 20 seconds be better? I'm all about accessibility.

7 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Sorry to hear that. My avatar never changes. The background color cycles through seven background colors over the course of 72 seconds, pausing on each one for 10 seconds before moving on.  If it takes you longer than 10 seconds to scan a post listing, I can slow it down to adapt to your reading speed. Would 20 seconds be better? I'm all about accessibility.

I've adjusted. If one has to have an animated gif, your approach is the best I've encountered.

38 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I could do without dancing jesters and crawling bugs (although I haven't seen that one recently...) EM

I hated that bug. (That may have been in a signature.) To me, the worst is/was the rapidly blinking eye. So obnoxious that some folks asked that poster to stop using it and he/she rather unpleasantly refused. 

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I could do without dancing jesters and crawling bugs (although I haven't seen that one recently...) EM

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I hated that bug. . .

Yikes, we jinxed ourselves. I hadn't seen any bugs in forever, and just now, right on the HAL board, in post 185 of this thread, a moving bug as an avatar.   I totally agree that this stuff should not be permitted.