Cove Balconies.... your thought??

tandtmk04

Hi there! Now that I have decided on a ship (Breeze), I'm  trying to decide on  room type. I've had all types of rooms, on previous cruises, but never stayed in a "Cove Balcony" room. This cruise.... I was going to go with an inside w/ porthole (we're never in the room), BUT it's my husband's Birthday while on the cruise, sooooo I thought I may go with a balcony. What are your thought s on the "Cove  Balconies"?

Thanks so much!

Jen   

1 minute ago, LUVMYGSDOG said:

Loved our cove on the Breeze!  Would book another in a heartbeat.

Kim

1 minute ago, LUVMYGSDOG said:

Loved our cove on the Breeze!  Would book another in a heartbeat.

Kim

Great! I'm thinking it's what I will book. :)

46 minutes ago, tandtmk04 said:

What is the biggest difference between the cove vs regular balcony?

Cove balconies are on one of the lowest decks, usually deck 2.  They often have lifeboats "above" them - the lifeboats would be around deck 3 - so the lifeboats can act like a canopy sometimes, if you will.

They are a little bit bigger than regular balconies - not enough that you'll be ballroom dancing or anything, though.  Due to the design, they feel a little more private.

Because the coves are so low and close to the water, you can get sea spray on them, so don't leave any towels or clothing out there if not around - makes for a damp discovery!

In rough weather, you may not be able to use your cove balcony.

A regular balcony is usually much higher up, deckwise, and the railing is more traditional and open feeling.  More expensive usually, too.

Look at some photos on-line.  Search for Carnival cove balcony.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Cove balconies are on one of the lowest decks, usually deck 2.  They often have lifeboats "above" them - the lifeboats would be around deck 3 - so the lifeboats can act like a canopy sometimes, if you will.

They are a little bit bigger than regular balconies - not enough that you'll be ballroom dancing or anything, though.  Due to the design, they feel a little more private.

Because the coves are so low and close to the water, you can get sea spray on them, so don't leave any towels or clothing out there if not around - makes for a damp discovery!

In rough weather, you may not be able to use your cove balcony.

A regular balcony is usually much higher up, deckwise, and the railing is more traditional and open feeling.  More expensive usually, too.

Look at some photos on-line.  Search for Carnival cove balcony.

30 days to our first cove!

we bring from amazon

extra magnet hooks to dry , or less dampen our swim suits and such.

I can’t wait to compare and review.  Ours was chosen not to have a lifeboat over ours.

the last Carnival Cruise we had a ginormous aft L-shaped balcony but it was too rainy to enjoy.  I liked it better than a regular balcony because it was so big inside.

its good to try different flavors in life...!

• Like 1

LOVE our Cove Balcony! We had four in a room and stayed in 2287 on the Dream. It was a great location! Never had sea spray and I find that Cove balconies are wayyy less windy than regular balconies. We have booked a Cove on our next three cruises (we love the Dream class ships). We had two chairs, little table, and a “recliner” type seat on on our balcony and it never felt crowded. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, momof4girls said:

LOVE our Cove Balcony! We had four in a room and stayed in 2287 on the Dream. It was a great location! Never had sea spray and I find that Cove balconies are wayyy less windy than regular balconies. We have booked a Cove on our next three cruises (we love the Dream class ships). We had two chairs, little table, and a “recliner” type seat on on our balcony and it never felt crowded. 

Same here, we loved it in cabin #2341, Dream,mid-ship. Plenty of room, and the sea spray was a non-issue. We did have some wave noise one night from bumpy seas, but not a big deal at all. Will definetly book a cove again. Enjoy

• Like 1

We've only had a Cove once and generally enjoyed it.  If it were Cove or no balcony, we'd definitely get a Cove.  However, we are going back to a traditional balcony this time as there were several times we were getting misted by the sea spray when outside.  It's not a huge deal, but enough that it made us go inside once or twice on a 7 day cruise.

Otherwise, yes, they are private and shaded and very close to the water.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Something else that might be helpful in deciding. Cove balconies are on Deck 2. When in port, you only have to walk down one deck to debark or up one deck when you come back on board. No waiting in line for an elevator. :classic_smile:

Yes, this is very convenient! I also love having a cove closer to the front because it makes it so easy to go to a show in the main theater. Just leave your room, down the hall a bit, and then up one flight of stairs. 

Just got off Horizon in a cove. Had a regular balcony higher up a few years ago. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the cove, for all the reasons shared above. 

It was also easy to use the stairs. We generally were on floors 2, 3, 4, 5 or 10, 11. Stairs were easy for up to 3 flights. We only used the stairs when going from our floor all the way up. 

Also so much easier when getting on and off. 

And the privacy cant be beat!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 10:02 PM, BENHANDEL said:

Just got off Horizon in a cove. Had a regular balcony higher up a few years ago. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the cove, for all the reasons shared above. 

It was also easy to use the stairs. We generally were on floors 2, 3, 4, 5 or 10, 11. Stairs were easy for up to 3 flights. We only used the stairs when going from our floor all the way up. 

Also so much easier when getting on and off. 

And the privacy cant be beat!

Cruising on the Horizon in August in a cove balcony.  Do you mind sharing what your room number was?

7 hours ago, moonbmn53 said:

Cruising on the Horizon in August in a cove balcony.  Do you mind sharing what your room number was?

We were 2411. Family harbor suite. No noise from galley, other than a bump here and there. It was no worse than any people in a cabin above. I am a light sleeper but no one else in my family ever heard a thing. 

I'm just off the Breeze #2400 and preferred the Cove over previous balconies for the extra privacy and shade.  Lower decks are easier to get around most places and the aft elevator was nearby for a straight shot up to the buffet or pizza when needed.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:19 PM, beachbum53 said:

Something else that might be helpful in deciding. Cove balconies are on Deck 2. When in port, you only have to walk down one deck to debark or up one deck when you come back on board. No waiting in line for an elevator. :classic_smile:

I love the only walking back up 1 Deck when we get back on the ship. I always dread that, what feels like 1 million stair climb, after being off the ship all day in the sun. hahaha   

In a cove balcony--do you feel your view is obstructed? I have been in an upper balcony before and loved being able to see through the see-through wall. But I feel like in a cove your view is more obstructed. But we have a family harbor suite so it's a cove. I am super excited regardless, but just curious.

12 minutes ago, ZeeWP said:

In a cove balcony--do you feel your view is obstructed? 

Two downsides we had with cove balcony. I like looking at stars at night (I bring astronomy binoculars to see the southern stars not viewable from home) and the view was obstructed. I could see off on the horizon but anything from 45 degrees and up was totally blocked. If you like to get some sun on your balcony, coves are shaded some of the time, especially when the sun is highest in the sky. Of course, there are lots of things to like as people above have stated.

• Like 1