Cove Balconies.... your thought??

tandtmk04

We stayed in a cove on the Dream, was probably my favorite balcony so far. I really like being so close to the water and watching how the ship moves through the water, it is beautiful! It is closed in so you do not get the sun like a regular balcony, but I think it is very cool! I kept watching for dolphin during sail away because I heard they sometimes like to swim out with the ships, but I never saw any. Enjoy your cruise!

We love the cove balcony. Remember there are know tradition balconies on breeze class, you can not look down into water because of the deck all the way around 5. You can’t go out in your pjs and see out without others seeing you. That’s way cove is so much better. Private and larger. 

36 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

My thoughts: we dont care for them 

Care to elaborate?  Haven't done one, have a lido balcony on Magic next year, but could save a bit of money for the 4 of us by switching to a cove (about $100 total for 4 people).

3 minutes ago, rukkian said:

Care to elaborate?  Haven't done one, have a lido balcony on Magic next year, but could save a bit of money for the 4 of us by switching to a cove (about $100 total for 4 people).

I dont like being that close to the water/there are some suspicious smells/it feels claustrophobic and closed in. There is a reason its cheaper...1 and done for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

I dont like being that close to the water/there are some suspicious smells/it feels claustrophobic and closed in. There is a reason its cheaper...1 and done for us.

Great, thanks for the info.  I hear allot that swear by them, like to hear both opinions and get the info why.

7 hours ago, Davey Wavey said:

Two downsides we had with cove balcony. I like looking at stars at night (I bring astronomy binoculars to see the southern stars not viewable from home) and the view was obstructed. I could see off on the horizon but anything from 45 degrees and up was totally blocked. If you like to get some sun on your balcony, coves are shaded some of the time, especially when the sun is highest in the sky. Of course, there are lots of things to like as people above have stated.

There are a (very) limited number of cove balconies on each ship that do NOT have a lifeboat above blocking the view/sun. You can find them by looking at deck plans and comparing where the gap is in lifeboats on deck 3 with where the various cove balconies are located on deck 2. We are booked in 2289 on the Dream on the 24th. No lifeboat above this balcony.

7 hours ago, ZeeWP said:

In a cove balcony--do you feel your view is obstructed? I have been in an upper balcony before and loved being able to see through the see-through wall. But I feel like in a cove your view is more obstructed. But we have a family harbor suite so it's a cove. I am super excited regardless, but just curious.

You will not have a see-through wall on the lower half of  a cove balcony.  It will be solid steel.  If you encounter rough seas you will understand why.  Love a cove balcony though.

Love the cove. We would pick it first every time. The number of flying fish spottings goes up big time in a cove. Sitting in the shade watching the waves go by is so relaxing.

Another great thing about coves: you are on deck 2. Deck 2 is like a super highway to both ends of the ship. Just drop into the hall and head aft, one flight up the stairs and you are at the MDR. Head forward and one flight of stairs and you are in the atrium, and shows. I am so unhappy to see the Dream leave NOLA. Love the coves.

We love the cove balconies, so much so that our next cruise (Magic in September, room 2310) had to have coves on it. We previously were on the Dream, room 2353, and it was awesome. Being close to the water, seeing the dolphins swim next to the ship, and just hearing the waves at night. The room on the Dream was situated under the divider between dining room and galley so after 900 at night, most things went silent. Nothing was ever heard and I'm a light sleeper.

There was a day though that the hall and room smelled like sewage but we said something to the steward. They ended up fixing it and even gave us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries too!

413958_2937028826415_1516521178_o.thumb.jpg.20a049a7909b2335eef3c3b37cf77891.jpg

Edited by swimducky21
  • Like 1