Drinking in your cabin.

masterty

22 minutes ago, masterty said:

Is there any difference in cost sitting on deck having alcoholic drinks and sitting in a cabin having the same drinks delivered via room service?

Other than liquor/wine bottles and beer/coke/liquor packages etc I don't think individual bar drinks are available through RS.

At least I have never seen a menu for them.

I have never tried to order one.

I think the only mixed drink available through room service is a bloody mary. You can also order beer, and I think the price is the same as if you ordered a beer at a bar. I think the prices for bottles of wine are also the same throughout the ship. The room service menu has a very limited selection of wines. For liquor, room service has small bottles (350/375 ml) available of a few. You'd have to order the mixers separately (or do as we have done and get some glasses of orange juice at breakfast and save them for screwdrivers that afternoon).

• Like 1

You can pre-order 350ml bottles of liquor before you sail and bring your own non alcohol mixers onboard and make your own.   That will save a lot on money over buying at the bars and bring them back to your room plus it's more convenient if you're sitting on your balcony.  

framer

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, franktown said:

No need to smuggle.  You are allowed to bring non-alcoholic beverages onboard including mixers. 

Of course, I was my attempt at humor. My DW is a pro at bringing non-alcoholic drinks onboard. 
I am kind of embarrassed that i assumed bar service would deliver drinks to my room. Where is a butler when you need one?

Alaska2014 146_0.jpg

As we arrive on embarkation day most cruises, we have a system to get our non-alcoholic beverages on board without having to fly with 4 cases of carbonated beverages 😉

1. Pack an empty duffel bag or any collapsible bag in your suit case with cruise luggage tag attached

2. Unpack said bag upon arrival to the airport

3. Drop of remaining luggage with porters (don't forget to tip)

4. Carry bag out of terminal, make a right turn and walk to store approx. 1/4" mile up the road

5. Purchase non-alcoholic beverages and fill bag

6. Carry bag back to terminal and offload to porter station without them noticing (avoiding a 2nd, unnecessary tip)

7. Initiate general boarding procedure

8. Receive bag loaded with non-alcoholic beverages with the rest of your luggage

*If you arrive a day early, ignore all of that and just slap a tag on your Coke and drop it with the porters upon arrival to the terminal (they will make sure you know that tips are appreciated)*

Edited by PensFan1028

We preorder both spirits and wine. We also order spirits and wine from room service once on board. Recently though, for wine, we have began purchasing their wine special cards, the price of a card depends on the number of bottles, they are like, a 7 bottle card, a 10 bottle card or I believe a 14 bottle card. You receive a bottle of wine for a discount depending upon the number of bottles on the card you purchased.

For instance, say on your 7 bottle card you get any bottle up to a $45,00 p.b. for $34.00. Or, if you order a $60,00 bottle you get it for $26.00. The cards can only be punched in the dining rooms or a bar, but, you simply tell the waiter what you want, say 5 bottles of such and such, delivered to my cabin. Arriving back in your cabin the 5 bottles await. Much better than room service since you get the discount. Plus, any bottle(s) in the ship's inventory can be purchased this way, without being limited to the R.S. liquor menu.     

On 1/3/2019 at 5:53 AM, dartmouthgal2019 said:

lol don't they scan luggage and take out the alcohol?

There's ways to carry it on.  We were pros at it.  Now we get the mini bar setup and we swap out a few things.  We order the wine package and go to the MDR and get the bottles, and take them back to our cabin and have them on our balcony.  Works for us.  We also bring 4 bottles of wine on board at embarkation.  We've never been told to visit the table because no one is ever sitting there.  Even if they were, we would grab our bags and keep walking.