Excursions & Safety in ports

MrRileyD

I truly believe that the possibility of violence any cruise ship passenger may experience, or witness while in any Mexican port is highly unlikely and very improbable. I would probably be more concerned about the brakes on that taxi or bus you may take, or just crossing a street.

Still, it is important to keep in mind that Cabo has the highest per capita murder rate in the world, a rather astonishing statistic, and that last year it was reported in Forbes that more Americans are murdered in Mexico than in all other countries combined. And on our first and only visit to Acapulco, our tourist van came upon a very fresh murder scene on the city’s coastal avenue in the middle of the day.

Mexico is a charming, beautiful place but like anywhere, good sense and good choices need to prevail. It’s unfortunate that so many ordinary hard working citizens are victims of criminal behavior and an incredibly corrupt government and police system.

1 hour ago, richard1s said:

I truly believe that the possibility of violence any cruise ship passenger may experience, or witness while in any Mexican port is highly unlikely and very improbable. I would probably be more concerned about the brakes on that taxi or bus you may take, or just crossing a street.

Still, it is important to keep in mind that Cabo has the highest per capita murder rate in the world, a rather astonishing statistic, and that last year it was reported in Forbes that more Americans are murdered in Mexico than in all other countries combined. And on our first and only visit to Acapulco, our tourist van came upon a very fresh murder scene on the city’s coastal avenue in the middle of the day.

Mexico is a charming, beautiful place but like anywhere, good sense and good choices need to prevail. It’s unfortunate that so many ordinary hard working citizens are victims of criminal behavior and an incredibly corrupt government and police system.

Is there a way you can change the comic sands font to something more readable?

Thank you.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

21 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Well, this article has at least one obvious flaw, the picture shown for La Paz is of La Paz, Bolivia and not that of La Paz, Mexico.  I find the fact that Los Cabos tops the list in terms of murder rate fascinating.  I just never would have expected that.

My husband and I have been coming to Puerto Vallarta since 1987.   We started with a 2 week stay and the past 10 years we stay for 14 weeks every winter.   We go out to dinner and walk around town in the evenings  and shop during the day etc.    We feel very safe here.   We don't flash money or expensive jewellery and we don't buy or sell drugs.  

In the condo we rent we only get 3 American stations in English so we watch the news from Florida most nights (Miami).   We are shocked at the killings reported every night.   There are shootings and stabbings reported daily.   I would think twice about going to Miami.  We live close to the capital of Canada (Ottawa) and we feel safer here than we do at home.

We know there is violence because of the drug cartels in Mexico  but at home there are many different gang wars going on all around and we see nightly reports of killings the past year.   I would not visit Acapulco because I would not feel safe there.   We did visit there many years ago and felt secure then but not now.

I would encourage anyone to come to Vallarta.  The people are wonderful and it is a foody paradise.   The weather is great as well and our dollars go a long way compared to many Caribbean islands.

22 hours ago, richard1s said:

Forbes did NOT report that more Americans are murdered in Mexico than in all other countries combined.  

There were something like 75 Americans murdered in Mexico.  But 17 THOUSAND were murdered in the US.  So, far more Americans are murdered in the US than in Mexico.  

You left out the word "foreign."  More … in Mexico than in all other FOREIGN countries combined.

14 hours ago, tango55 said:

the murder rate is per 100,000 .cabo has the highest per capita.mexico makes the top 4.brazil and south Africa have more murder but pop. is a lot more per city.

and how many of them were tourists or cruise passengers?

On 1/6/2019 at 3:04 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Is there a way you can change the comic sands font to something more readable?

Thank you.

King

I've read in other forums that the problem is reading CC on a phone. Comic Sans, for some reason, does not convert well. Reading on a PC it looks just fine. (BTW I also like Comic Sans (and color) but since the update I have a hard enough time with CC, so for right now I just use the default.)

not  many cruisers are hurt ine.but places like san jose costa rica,roatan there have been tourists killed or attacked usually outside the resort areas.21 cruises and many land vacations.on a mex cruise (ruby) jan.26.scariest place for us was new Orleans.

10 hours ago, tango55 said:

not  many cruisers are hurt ine.but places like san jose costa rica,roatan there have been tourists killed or attacked usually outside the resort areas.21 cruises and many land vacations.on a mex cruise (ruby) jan.26.scariest place for us was new Orleans.

But we are talking about the Mexican Riviera destinations where cruisers go , not about Roatan, Costa Rica etc. 

On 1/6/2019 at 2:52 AM, Rosefloater said:

Are they all through with the construction around pier 1?

Back in Vallarta to tell you  unfortunately contructions is till going on near pier nr. 1 It looks like a mess. Only if they realy need that pier ships dock there. Most used now is north pier nr. 3 which is the best at the moment.  

My family and I just got back from the the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Splendor this morning. My wife and I traveled with our two boys, 8 and 10. I never once felt unsafe. We did not book any excursions through the ship. The following was our itinerary.

Cabo- Got off the ship and booked a tour on one of the glass bottom boats out to the arches. The cost was 750 pesos for all 4 of us. The guide dropped us off on Medano Beach. We then spent the day on the beach and the guide picked us up at a predetermined time and took us back to the ship.

Mazatlan- Exited the cruise terminal, turned left and walked about 4-5 blocks to the water taxi that dropped us off at stone island. Paid 30 pesos per person round trip, just make sure to hold on to your ticket for the return trip. On the beach, we were offered use of chairs and an umbrella on the beach all day as long as we bought lunch through the restaurant (cost was 520 pesos for all of us to eat and drink beverages throughout the day). There we all went horseback riding (200 pesos/person for 30 minutes) that was enough time for us. We also rented an ATV for 350 pesos for 30 minutes and spent the day on the beach.

Puerto Vallarta- Booked a zip line tour through Los Veranos directly ($220 US for all for of us, though the wife only paid for the transportation. There was no way she was going to be talked into zip lining). They met us right at the terminal. Took a speed boat out to the rain forest and participated in the zip line tour. They dropped us back at the terminal. We had lunch on the ship. 

We then took one of the white taxi vans right from the port (200 pesos for all of us) to the Malecon. I think because we were there later they were more willing to negotiate. Initially wanted $4 US/person (Taxi drivers at the port have a federal contract and charge more because thay aren't allowed to pick up in the city). I know the taxis across the street are supposed to be cheaper, but after the zip lining tour, the kids were tired. Walked the Malecon and then took a taxi back (120 pesos for all of us). We had the driver drop us off at Walmart across the street and picked up some souvenirs and other things we needed.

We were all over the place and felt perfectly safe.      

11 hours ago, Ine said:

Back in Vallarta to tell you  unfortunately contructions is till going on near pier nr. 1 It looks like a mess. Only if they realy need that pier ships dock there. Most used now is north pier nr. 3 which is the best at the moment.  

Thanks. I like pier 3 better.

• Like 1

Welcome home Ine :).  We look forward to seeing you this winter.  Regarding the pier situation, they were actually using all 3 piers this past week and that poor (it is anything but poor) Attessa IV yacht had to actually vacate its pier 2 space to make room for a 3 ship day.  

The local bus situation (we use these buses often) remains a constant surprise as we never know what we will find when we board.  A/C....no A/C, coin box, not working coin box, no coin box, etc.  My advice to cruisers who want to use the local buses is to have 10 Pesos (exact change is wise) per person.  The driver will either take your Pesos or might motion for you to drop it in the coin slot (if the bus has a working coin box).  On the buses with working coin boxes there is also a small bin attached to the coin box where you can put bills (one 20 Peso bill will cover two fares).  Some drivers make change, others do not.  I think the entire local bus situation is a work in progress, and being Mexico, things will eventually stabilize in 5 - 10 years :).  I will admit that the quality of the buses has definitely improved (many now burn natural gas) and we no longer see buses with holes in the floor, brakes that sound like they failed years ago, etc.  Riding buses in Puerto Vallarta (and Mexico) is part of the culture and sometimes quite interesting.  So far this season we have not had any entertainers on our buses :).

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Welcome home Ine :).  We look forward to seeing you this winter.  Regarding the pier situation, they were actually using all 3 piers this past week and that poor (it is anything but poor) Attessa IV yacht had to actually vacate its pier 2 space to make room for a 3 ship day.  

Hank

We are also looking forward to meet you again of course. I will be in contact about that later this week or next week.

Good advice re buses and payment. For those passengers docking at pier 3 , the closest busstop will be at the left of the exitgate.

Re cruiseships. On January 31 there will be 4 ships in port!!! So not only Atessa needs to stay outside port but also one of the cruiseships will need tenders. Walmart will be packed.LOL.

Edited by Ine

On 12/31/2018 at 4:49 PM, Mike45LC said:

But for a city tour, I'd hire a van and driver at the port and pay for a two hour tour.  Or, for example in Mazatlán, I'd hire a golf cart to take us to the Cathedral.  I'd then explore the Cathedral and the Market, and hire another golf cart to go to Zona Dorado.  Then, after exploring there, a third golf cart back to the ship.

I'd use the ship's excursions only for things I'd worry about a breakdown far from help.  A cab breaks down on the usual route to the Malecon, there will be another cab available to rescue you!

Mike45LC - I'm curious how much the golf carts cost and where you find them?  Any suggestions for "off the beaten path" things to do in the other cities? (Cabo and Puerta)?

When you get off the ship in Mazatlán, you are required to take a free shuttle to the Visitors' Center.  When you walk out of that, the golf carts will be lined up for the tourists.

When you walk around downtown, starting as soon as you get out of your cart, you will be besieged with other drivers wanting to take you somewhere.  They are everywhere.  Same thing for Golden Zone.  They are even more of a pestilence than the beach vendors!

Prices:  This is Mexico, the fares are negotiable.  Maybe $10 to $15 for a ride from the ship to downtown per cart.  Maybe $7 to $10 for the ride from downtown to Golden Zone.  Maybe $10 to $15 from Golden Zone to the ship.  If you want him to stop at the cliff divers, make it $15!  You might be able to haggle a better price, but I don't try too hard.  Once upon a time, at the Straw Market in Nassau, I was intent on beating a vendor down as far as possible.  I then paid the lady about 50% more than the deal we made, because the price difference made no difference to me, but it was significant to her.  It was fun to bargain hard, but I would not be comfortable paying so little!

On 1/13/2019 at 3:48 AM, Rosefloater said:

Thanks. I like pier 3 better.

ms Eurodam on pier 3 today. Norwegian Gem and Pacific Princess also in port.

cruiseschepen 3.jpg

• Like 1