Edge Review December 16-23rd 2018

johhnnyt

41 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

Yes , I was in 9180, and it's a wonderful location and sky suite. and looks like you are right and it is an SS2, not an SS1, I like it too as its not that far from the Magic Carpet, and loved watching it being moved.

Wonderful!  I booked the very first day and so escaped the outrageous later pricehikes.  A big splurge, but I do get to cruise with some dear friends.

may I share your cabin pics with my bff, who is not on cruise critic?

9 minutes ago, msteries said:

Wonderful!  I booked the very first day and so escaped the outrageous later pricehikes.  A big splurge, but I do get to cruise with some dear friends.

may I share your cabin pics with my bff, who is not on cruise critic?

Feel free to share any and all of the pictures and text with anyone

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

johhnnyt- thanks so much for all of the information!

Glad to help, the big good think about social media is the ability to share experiences, where we can learn from each other

A great review!  Just what I was looking for. I’m tired of all the negative comments from all the critics who consider themselves experts .  I’ve decided to book an IV on the new Apex in 2020. Hopefully all the complainers will stick to Celebritiy’s other ships. I love trying out new concepts and I am not loyal to any one cruise line.  Sometimes I don’t know why I read Cruise Critic because cruising is different for everyone. I usually don’t read reviews that start out “I am elite” or “I’ve been on 40 cruises...”.   

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1

A few people had messaged me about the noise from the Magic Carpet when it's being moved

I took this video from my balcony when we were pulling out of Tortola

The Magic Carpet being moved noise is barely discernible from the background noise (my balcony was maybe 20 feet away).

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOJWtf0WcFrwL2KDuT78pfYIMjuNyiYSMunJWKN

Edited by johhnnyt

On 1/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, Diver2014 said:

A great review!  Just what I was looking for. I’m tired of all the negative comments from all the critics who consider themselves experts .  I’ve decided to book an IV on the new Apex in 2020. Hopefully all the complainers will stick to Celebritiy’s other ships. I love trying out new concepts and I am not loyal to any one cruise line.  Sometimes I don’t know why I read Cruise Critic because cruising is different for everyone. I usually don’t read reviews that start out “I am elite” or “I’ve been on 40 cruises...”.   

I'm the same way, whenever I read a post that starts with "I heard that" or "People are saying that" or "I wish they would go back to"  9 times out 10, there is no reason given, other than a personal preference, I kind of discount it. 

There are some  really prolific posters on CC who I admire that really look at both sides of the coin before drawing a conclusion Yay or Nay, those are the ones that I really learn the most from, and try to do the same.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Johnny, what makes you think you are the only one who’s review is valid and that those experienced repeat cruises opinion do not matter. Usually, experience is a good thing .

If you  DON’t  know any better and are inexperienced, you may love this ship.

It certainly is the most beautiful ship I have been on including top notch hotels . Service excellent and food is ok.

On the rest,  I totally disagree with you. The ship is completely impractical. Does not flow easily. Have to go down to go up. Very few indoor place for evening activities,so after you see the loud repetitive evening shows, and spend one night in Eden, you need to go out doors to resort deck, or Roof top garden. Both are  beautiful , but do you really want to be outdoors in the middle of a windy ocean .

in practicability ,although new and inventive, ridiculous. Those that designed this ship probably never sail on a CRUISE ship. The furniture although beautiful, in many areas are uncomfortable. Martini bar is so loud that when you are in Fine Cut Steak house, you can’t hear yourself think. Another poor design. 

I will pass on discussion of IV. Other than to say how dare they pass this off as a balcony. If you want  to pay for a window that opens up, you should be aware of what you are getting. 

Then there was my outrageously priced sky suite.  No shower door or curtain. Flooded my floors after every shower.  Small safe, could not put two I pads in it. 

No footstools , or lounge on balcony. What were they thinking. 

I could go on and on. 400$ cabanas hardly ever used ,taking away from passengers who want shade around the pool. Smaller menu in Lumanae, where MDR was too far to get food from there.

no danceable music before and after dinner.

I do not mean to BASH Celebrity.  It is my favorite cruise line and live in fear ,they will ruin the S Class. Hoping they will read all the bad reviews and do something about it.

I also feel people have a right to find out for themselves, but buyer beware of what you are getting.

This ship has been booked for a few years, but in going forward, they will be getting less bookings as word gets out. Most people I know have cancelled their future cruises on this ship.

Have you noticed the intense advertising campaign?  They are on TV, and new sales every day. 

16 minutes ago, Littlegov said:

Johnny, what makes you think you are the only one who’s review is valid and that those experienced repeat cruises opinion do not matter. Usually, experience is a good thing .

It certainly is the most beautiful ship I have been on including top notch hotels . Service excellent and food is ok.

On the rest,  I totally disagree with you. The ship is completely impractical. Does not flow easily. Have to go down to go up. Very few indoor place for evening activities,so after you see the loud repetitive evening shows, and spend one night in Eden, you need to go out doors to resort deck, or Roof top garden. Both are  beautiful , but do you really want to be outdoors in the middle of a windy ocean .

in practicability ,although new and inventive, ridiculous. Those that designed this ship probably never sail on a CRUISE ship. The furniture although beautiful, in many areas are uncomfortable. Martini bar is so loud that when you are in Fine Cut Steak house, you can’t hear yourself think. Another poor design. 

I will pass on discussion of IV. Other than to say how dare they pass this off as a balcony. If you want  to pay for a window that opens up, you should be aware of what you are getting. 

Then there was my outrageously priced sky suite.  No shower door or curtain. Flooded my floors after every shower.  Small safe, could not put two I pads in it. 

I could go on and on. 400$ cabanas hardly ever used ,taking away from passengers who want shade around the pool. Smaller menu in Lumanae, where MDR was too far to get food from there.

I do not mean to BASH Celebrity.  It is my favorite cruise line and live in fear ,they will ruin the S Class. Hoping they will read all the bad reviews and do something about it.

I also feel people have a right to find out for themselves, but buyer beware of what you are getting.

This ship has been booked for a few years, but in going forward, they will be getting less bookings as word gets out. Most people I know have cancelled their future cruises on this ship.

Have you noticed the intense advertising campaign?  They are on TV, and new sales every day. 

Thank you for your input and it does sound as if you were thoroughly dis-appointed in your sailing and The Edge. Most people I know have not cancelled any future bookings, as of yet.

No need to apologize for the bashing of X, it happens here frequently, to be sure. We are accustomed to reading such venting posts.

Each of us have different expectations, some higher, some lower and some none. Ours is to have a great sailing and fun with friends, regardless.

As for advertizing, in our viewing area Princess and HAL are doing likewise... especially Alaska sailings, so X does not have the corner on television adverts, at least here.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

On 2/25/2019 at 1:38 PM, Littlegov said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Edge might have a few minor flaws, but no doubt be ironed out by Apex. I'm really looking to my second sailing on Edge on November 1st for the TA. Fantastic ship, design and crew.

23 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you for your input and it does sound as if you were thoroughly dis-appointed in your sailing and The Edge. Most people I know have not cancelled any future bookings, as of yet.

No need to apologize for the bashing of X, it happens here frequently, to be sure. We are accustomed to reading such venting posts.

Each of us have different expectations, some higher, some lower and some none. Ours is to have a great sailing and fun with friends, regardless.

As for advertizing, in our viewing area Princess and HAL are doing likewise... especially Alaska sailings, so X does not have the corner on television adverts, at least here.

bon voyage

You are right Bo, I think it's one of the downsides of CC that valid points (like shower design in aft cabins) get watered down (literally in this case), by user specific complaints rather than ones that might affect a greater audience

42 minutes ago, emjcruisers said:

Thanks for your detailed review. We look forward to the Nov 1 Transatlantic 

Ellen (emjcruisers)

I'll be on that same cruise with you on November 1st, hope you join our roll call (If you already haven't)

On 1/2/2019 at 11:25 AM, johhnnyt said:

A few people had messaged me about the noise from the Magic Carpet when it's being moved

I took this video from my balcony when we were pulling out of Tortola

The Magic Carpet being moved noise is barely discernible from the background noise (my balcony was maybe 20 feet away).

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOJWtf0WcFrwL2KDuT78pfYIMjuNyiYSMunJWKN

I had my Window open when it moved by my cabin

Clang, bang clang all the way

You know IV cabin

Edited by Caymus88

We noted EDGE  pros and cons  after our 1/27  Eastern itin.... not a perfect ship but has excellent potential. We enjoyed it..and are not inexperienced cruisers esp with X by any means.

Some will like it and some not,  but one's preference does not depend on prior cruise experience in our opinion...

Looking forward to a 10 day ABC itin in NOV...

We were on Edge in early February.and experienced new restaurants and décor.  Did not find it that much better or worse than our other Celebrity cruises.  The two things that we found to be notable was: 1) Magic Carpet - not really a big deal and certainly not worth all the press and 2) Martini Bar redesign which was not to our liking.

All in all a good time but on to the Summit. Would not pay that much more to be on the Edge.

Glad we went. 

45 minutes ago, hcat said:

We noted EDGE  pros and cons  after our 1/27  Eastern itin.... not a perfect ship but has excellent potential. We enjoyed it..and are not inexperienced cruisers esp with X by any means.

Some will like it and some not,  but one's preference does not depend on prior cruise experience in our opinion...

Looking forward to a 10 day ABC itin in NOV...

I agree, I think sometimes the most honest criticism can be found from people that have never cruised before, as they haven't been tainted on what is considered normal.They are more likely to see things objectively rather than subjectively