Royal Princess-best spot to view Alaskan scenery other than personal balcony?

Cheezwhizard

My parents have just booked an Alaskan cruise on the Royal Princess northbound in an obstructed cabin ...on the left/port side of the ship. I've read that the Royal does not have as great of viewing spots as some of the other ships. Any tips though?? Thank you!!! 😃

1 hour ago, Cheezwhizard said:

My parents have just booked an Alaskan cruise on the Royal Princess northbound in an obstructed cabin ...on the left/port side of the ship. I've read that the Royal does not have as great of viewing spots as some of the other ships. Any tips though?? Thank you!!! 😃

The higher up you are the better the view.  You will have to move from one side to the other according to which side has the best scenery at the time.  Also you will have to decide if you want to stand to view or sit in a lounger.  Another factor you need to consider is the weather conditions such as wind and rain.  You may want to view from under cover such as the tables on Lido deck.  Just remember that people sitting at the tables just to watch the scenery may be denying seats to people wanting to sit and eat.  On the back of the ship on decks 16 and 17 are a few chairs that are under a roof but open to the wind.  They are great places to keep an eye on where you have been.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

The higher up you are the better the view.  You will have to move from one side to the other according to which side has the best scenery at the time.  Also you will have to decide if you want to stand to view or sit in a lounger.  Another factor you need to consider is the weather conditions such as wind and rain.  You may want to view from under cover such as the tables on Lido deck.  Just remember that people sitting at the tables just to watch the scenery may be denying seats to people wanting to sit and eat.  On the back of the ship on decks 16 and 17 are a few chairs that are under a roof but open to the wind.  They are great places to keep an eye on where you have been.

Thank you for the advice!

Promenade deck for lower down views. 

Top deck for more up above, grander vistas. There's the fully open top deck 18 or 19 that gives pretty much 360, blocked a bit aft by the funnels.

Aft 16 and 17 for some covered open views.  Skywalk or Sea view to look down below or out past the edge of the ship.  Club 6 out the large picture windows. Deck 7 across from Princess Live for large picture windows - although looking across the Promenade deck space. 

Anywhere on deck up against the glass walks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheezwhizard said:

Outside Emerald deck aft both starboard and port sides.

Deck 7 mid ship/atrium area outside Crooners and on the opposite side near the shops there are doors going outside and chairs.

• Like 1

The top deck is nice, but it is nowhere near the front of the ship.  There is nowhere on the Royal that you can get near the front of the ship unless you have a stateroom there.  That is the huge downside for me of this ship and one reason I would never take an Alaskan cruise on it.  I know the cruise will be great, but I was disappointed with the Royal for this reason on my CA/NE cruise last fall.  On cruises that basically hug the coast, I spend a lot of time outside.  Therefore I say I was disappointed.

Edited by frugaltravel

12 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

The top deck is nice, but it is nowhere near the front of the ship.  There is nowhere on the Royal that you can get near the front of the ship unless you have a stateroom there.  That is the huge downside for me of this ship and one reason I would never take an Alaskan cruise on it.  I know the cruise will be great, but I was disappointed with the Royal for this reason on my CA/NE cruise last fall.  On cruises that basically hug the coast, I spend a lot of time outside.  Therefore I say I was disappointed.

Thanks for your critique of the Royal for Alaska.   I have always enjoyed the covered promenade decks of the Grand Class ships, for seeing Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Hubbatd Glacier, Tracy Arm, Endicott Arm, the sailing into Juneau, and the sailing out of Skagway.  

For those who enjoy the Royal, please continue to do so.  I am hoping to take the Grand Class ships for as long as possible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, antsp said:

If you want a forward view on the Royal whilst in Alaska the stateroom tv is probably your best bet.  Why oh why sail the Royal to Alaska. 

Thanks for mentioning the stateroom TV for the forward view.  That is what we always do, on all ships, from our aft facing rooms.