Breakaway - Haven retractable roof

trician24

We booked a cruise on the Breakaway for later this year and will be in the Haven.  We have never been on a ship with a retractable roof.  Just wondering how often they open it when you sail the Caribbean.  Also....what's it like when it's closed.  Do you still get the same strength sun and need sunblock? Thanks in advance!!!

7 minutes ago, Deck boy Dave said:

I heard that the retractable roof on the Breakaway was damaged so they usually leave it closed.

Is this true?

There was a damaged pane that forced the roof to be closed but I believe that it was fixed a while ago. Escape also has/had a damaged pane but it was located on an area that didn't move so it wasn't a problem.

1 hour ago, trician24 said:

We booked a cruise on the Breakaway for later this year and will be in the Haven.  We have never been on a ship with a retractable roof.  Just wondering how often they open it when you sail the Caribbean.  Also....what's it like when it's closed.  Do you still get the same strength sun and need sunblock? Thanks in advance!!!

If it is windy out, they will often close the roof. On the Breakaway, the courtyard is used as a dining room (since the Haven Restaurant is undersized) so there are very few loungers. The loungers on the upper deck are under glass 100% of the time (we like this area, air conditioned sunshine)

image.png.51af17421bac7971e4819186853c41c7.png 

image.png.abcb7251e16d50bde02103806c1ee010.png

Edited by BirdTravels

We were on the Getaway in November.  We spent a lot of time on the upper deck and really enjoyed it up there.   It wasn't very windy but did get very hot in the afternoon so we would have to move to the shady side after some time.  It was nice to have the fresh air though.  

I agree that the glass will significantly reduce UV light/tanning.

We will be on Breakaway in March. I would like more info on the closure issue. We have been on Getaway and there are plenty of loungers in the sun. Looking at the pictures of the upper part of the Haven, I can see that much of the top deck is under cover. How much room is there toward the front on the starboard side? Is it crowded?

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Are you sure about this? I have learned that glass block the uv-light. I have never been sunburned when I have been sitting in a sunny room even for hours.

Not knowing the specifics of NCL's glass, I wouldn't believe that it blocks UVA rays from the sun. Windows are generally effective in blocking UVB rays but studies show that drivers in America are more prone to sun damage on their left side...

A 2010 US study into skin cancer found that people who spend a lot of time driving a car each week are more likely to develop skin cancers on the left side of the body – which is the window side in North American cars.

...which is the side exposed to the sun through the driver's side window.

Even if people don't burn while under the roof, they are still exposed to harmful rays.

4 hours ago, bfree32 said:

I agree that the glass will significantly reduce UV light/tanning.

We will be on Breakaway in March. I would like more info on the closure issue. We have been on Getaway and there are plenty of loungers in the sun. Looking at the pictures of the upper part of the Haven, I can see that much of the top deck is under cover. How much room is there toward the front on the starboard side? Is it crowded?

The area around the enclosed courtyard is enclosed. The Breakaway is just like the Getaway. There is an open sundeck on the starboard side that goes from the vibe all the way forward with loungers. 

C03D901C-E0BE-4E69-8082-91180D67F6F6.jpeg

9347E0E9-A30F-41B3-BD5A-FEB73D17227B.jpeg

8595E824-51F6-48CD-9307-82C213594819.jpeg

From the pictures BirdTravels posted it looks like more loungers on the sundeck on the starboard side than the Getaway.  There were a bunch of chairs and round sun beds along with a few loungers.  The chairs and sun beds were barely used on our cruise.  

20181127_090359.jpg

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Not knowing the specifics of NCL's glass, I wouldn't believe that it blocks UVA rays from the sun. Windows are generally effective in blocking UVB rays but studies show that drivers in America are more prone to sun damage on their left side...

A 2010 US study into skin cancer found that people who spend a lot of time driving a car each week are more likely to develop skin cancers on the left side of the body – which is the window side in North American cars.

...which is the side exposed to the sun through the driver's side window.

Even if people don't burn while under the roof, they are still exposed to harmful rays.

I thought that was if they had the window open and because of that was exposed to the sun.

1 minute ago, sverigecruiser said:

I thought that was if they had the window open and because of that was exposed to the sun.

The window doesn't block all of the harmful UV rays. The article showed that office workers sitting by a window (not opened) were exposed to UVA rays even if the window blocked most UVB rays.

Most drivers use the A/C and have the window up. Even then, the skin is more susceptible to damage on the window side.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The window doesn't block all of the harmful UV rays. The article showed that office workers sitting by a window (not opened) were exposed to UVA rays even if the window blocked most UVB rays.

Most drivers use the A/C and have the window up. Even then, the skin is more susceptible to damage on the window side.

I took the time and did some research and after that I disagree with you that the sunlight is the same but I agree with you that it's a good idea to use sunblock even under the glassroof.

I still wonder why I never have been burned after hours in a sunny window when a few minutes can be enough when I'm outside!

Edited by sverigecruiser

8 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I still wonder why I never have been burned after hours in a sunny window when a few minutes can be enough when I'm outside!

The UVB will cause burning sooner. When you are outside, the UVB isn't being blocked. When inside behind a window, the UVB is being blocked much more effectively. In both cases (inside or out) the UVA is penetrating deeper than the surface of the skin. 

Sunscreen_UVA_vs_UVB_1024x1024.jpg?v=148

Edited by Two Wheels Only