Rookie Mistake

Charm2018

Just realized that our room on the Glory (we leave in 11 days) is under the galley!  Yikes!  Do you think if I bring a small fan and some ear plugs we might be okay?  The cruise seems to be full, so I'm not hoping to be "surprised" with an upgrade, so I want to be prepared.  I have been planning this for a year and a half and I normally do all the booking etc by myself but thought I would use a travel agent this time.  I picked the wrong one and I kept telling him to look for other deals for me but I guess he is just too busy.  Totally my mistake for not doing things myself, as I can be a bit of a control freak when it comes to researching and planning.  I focused on other trips and didn't realize in time.  Anyone been under the galley on the Glory and been able to sleep?  I don't want my daughters first cruise to be a terrible one for sleeping.

I have no idea what to tell you, but I am interested in what other people say. My hope would be that it's not a problem. I would think it wouldn't be, except perhaps for the dinner rush. Likely, you'll have an amazing cruise, and your daughter will be hooked. Following!

• Like 1

Depends where under the galley you are.?   Like under the pot scrubbers--those fans and ear plugs will not help.  There are more quieter areas to be under.    But it can not hurt for you to call and ask to be moved.    (nless you have a cove balcony-- that is the only deck they are on-- move to under the dining rooms even.)  for me it would be worth it to pay for the upgrade to deck 7 balcony then to stay under the galley

• Like 1

1 hour ago, serene56 said:

Depends where under the galley you are.?   Like under the pot scrubbers--those fans and ear plugs will not help.  There are more quieter areas to be under.    But it can not hurt for you to call and ask to be moved.    (nless you have a cove balcony-- that is the only deck they are on-- move to under the dining rooms even.)  for me it would be worth it to pay for the upgrade to deck 7 balcony then to stay under the galley

This is what I’m afraid of. I can’t call Carnival directly because I used an agent. I can try to talk to my agent but he isn’t the most helpful. 

I guess a little noise on vacation is better than no noise at work. 😊

16 hours ago, Bookster99 said:

I have no idea what to tell you, but I am interested in what other people say. My hope would be that it's not a problem. I would think it wouldn't be, except perhaps for the dinner rush. Likely, you'll have an amazing cruise, and your daughter will be hooked. Following!

I'm hoping she will be as well!

16 hours ago, Charm2018 said:

This is what I’m afraid of. I can’t call Carnival directly because I used an agent. I can try to talk to my agent but he isn’t the most helpful. 

I guess a little noise on vacation is better than no noise at work. 😊

You could do a mock booking on your own to see what else is open and then call your travel agent and tell him to book you in that open room.

7 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

You could do a mock booking on your own to see what else is open and then call your travel agent and tell him to book you in that open room.

I did that right away and nothing is coming up for our week at all, so we are going to make the best of it and hope that we will be so tired and sleep through anything.  🙂 

I've been under the galley on other ships and never even noticed.  May be that I was in the right spot, usually one of the first or second cabins after the galley starts, but I have honestly never had a problem.  I do not wear ear plugs or bring a fan and I have never needed them.  Hopefully you will have the same luck!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 6:09 PM, Charm2018 said:

I will take a look for this!  Thanks

Better yet...download a free app for your phone.  Just be sure your phone is in Airplane Mode while using it!  I use Sleep Pillow and there are 9 free "sounds"...rain, beach, birds, thunderstorm, fire, etc.

• Like 1

Since you are below the galley, that means you are closer to the ship's engines which will probably produce more noise and vibrations that the galley could ever create.   Relax and enjoy....you probably will have your own personal "magic fingers" bed and you won't need a roll of quarters.  Bon Voyage and let us know how your cruise was.  

On 1/9/2019 at 12:07 PM, EllaDuChien said:

I've been under the galley on other ships and never even noticed.  May be that I was in the right spot, usually one of the first or second cabins after the galley starts, but I have honestly never had a problem.  I do not wear ear plugs or bring a fan and I have never needed them.  Hopefully you will have the same luck!

Our room is in the middle but we will make the best of whatever we encounter.  Thank you!  🙂 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 6:54 PM, crazy.cruzer said:

Better yet...download a free app for your phone.  Just be sure your phone is in Airplane Mode while using it!  I use Sleep Pillow and there are 9 free "sounds"...rain, beach, birds, thunderstorm, fire, etc.

Another great suggestion!  Thank you

On 1/10/2019 at 4:25 PM, deliver42 said:

I don't know if it would help, but if it was me, I'd call Carnival to see if anything could be done to change cabins, even if it cost me a few dollars more to upgrade.

It seems they are all booked so we will just see what happens.  I told my agent months ago to look for a balcony but he never bothered, so I wasn't worried about money after the first cruise got postponed.

I'm sure everything will be great!  Going to be warmer than it is here in Canada and I will be on vacation.  🙂 

On 1/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, HillBilly Bob said:

Since you are below the galley, that means you are closer to the ship's engines which will probably produce more noise and vibrations that the galley could ever create.   Relax and enjoy....you probably will have your own personal "magic fingers" bed and you won't need a roll of quarters.  Bon Voyage and let us know how your cruise was.  

I love this!  I will smile when I hear those engines putting me to sleep.  I will definitely report back.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:35 PM, BENHANDEL said:

We were in the family harbor area on horizon last month. Under the galley. I am a light sleeper. We had a fan and I used earplugs (as I do nightly). I had no issues. The rest of my family heard nothing. 

We are going to hope for the best and hopefully I am worrying for nothing!

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  We are so excited for our vacation.

I booked us under the buffet galley once many years ago. Very noisy! As others have said, white noise machine, white noise app for your cellphone, earplugs. I would try now to get moved, since it's not likely you'll be able to do that onboard. My DH, who is the king of persistence, did get us moved to a cabin that had belonged to an entertainer who left at one of the ports of call. That was undoubtedly a piece of luck for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I booked us under the buffet galley once many years ago. Very noisy! As others have said, white noise machine, white noise app for your cellphone, earplugs. I would try now to get moved, since it's not likely you'll be able to do that onboard. My DH, who is the king of persistence, did get us moved to a cabin that had belonged to an entertainer who left at one of the ports of call. That was undoubtedly a piece of luck for us.

Tried to do a "pretend" booking and the cruise doesn't even show up, so I'm assuming that it is a full cruise.  We will hope for the best, as we are not alone in the hall, so we will have company if it's too loud.  At least we have a window, so hopefully the waves will be louder than the galley above.  🙂 

2 minutes ago, Charm2018 said:

Tried to do a "pretend" booking and the cruise doesn't even show up, so I'm assuming that it is a full cruise.  We will hope for the best, as we are not alone in the hall, so we will have company if it's too loud.  At least we have a window, so hopefully the waves will be louder than the galley above.  🙂 

Try to do a mock booking on another site and see what comes up . Cabins are released back into the stream after the TA time limit ends.