Canyon Ranch massages...feeling ripped off

SoberJulie

Hubby and I pre-booked 80min massages. 

Our 2:00 appointment didn’t even begin until 2:15......and then when it was over, I took note of the time: 3:17. 

I went to the spa desk to say that I have no problem paying for what I received, a 1hr massage. 

He wanted to book us in the next day for the 20-25min we missed out on. 

Im currently waiting to hear from the manager so she can refund the difference. 

I’m not altogether pleased with how they handled their error and that I have to spend my vacation time ensuring I’m not being over charged. 

We used to always get a massage package, DH would get 3 or 4 & I would get at least 2....  that stopped after our first Canyon Ranch experience, in my opinion they were a big step down from the previous vendor, Steiner.  

OP,  keep in mind that this is really more of a Canyon Ranch problem, rather than a Celebrity one.  

Edited by cruise kitty

32 minutes ago, calypso17 said:

Do Canyon Ranch hardshell more than Steiner?  I have had quite unpleasant experiences from Steiner regarding this and always thought Canyon Ranch was an "upgrade"! Sorry to hear you were shortchanged but glad you got the refund.

I thought it was about the same or a little less upselling.  The problem is that Canyon Ranch hired a lot of those employees who worked for Steiner.  When I was on my cruise, the massage therapist told me that 80% of the employees on that ship came from Steiner.

I love Canyon Ranch, go to their destination spa in Arizona, and had very good services on my last cruise.

Thankfully they stepped up and resolved the issue to your satisfaction.

I think part of the issue was a breakdown in communication/understanding of what was being offered.  Very rarely does a massage run for the stated time; usually a 30 minutes massage is 25 minutes, 1 hour is 50-55 minutes, and an extended massage is about 75 minutes of true time with the therapist, while it is billed out at 90 minutes. The remained time 5/10/15 minutes is for you to disrobe, relax, and get dressed.  

Under the Steiner management I once had a deep tissue massage which I can only describe as a complete waste of time and the worse massage I have ever had.  I complained to the spa manager and received a complementary replacement, with a different therapist, which ranked itself as one of the best I have every received.

Again, glad to hear they stepped up and resolved it to your satisfaction.

2 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I thought it was about the same or a little less upselling.  The problem is that Canyon Ranch hired a lot of those employees who worked for Steiner.  When I was on my cruise, the massage therapist told me that 80% of the employees on that ship came from Steiner.

I love Canyon Ranch, go to their destination spa in Arizona, and had very good services on my last cruise.

I agree...CR started out better but with so many from Steiner it became a clone.  I get all prices in writing when I confirm my spa appts

New mgmnt on EDGE also a Steiner  co,  Either way, it is a cruise ship spa. I prefer the Elemis products...sold online over CR,

I will only book a massage at Canyon Ranch for a port day or if they are offering a sale on board ship.  I always get a massage in port.  This time we have reservations for beach front massages at Nachi Cocum for a fraction of the Canyon Ranch price. 

Its like buying jewelry or any luxury item on a ship or a cruiseport. You know you're going to pay more, and the quality and/or service wont be what a top spa might offer, just based on the sheer volume they schedule each day. Steiner or Canyon Ranch doesn't really matter they always try and sell you a magic elixir that you can find at 1/10th the cost at a CVS pharmacy. Bottom line they sell that magic skin fix all by the gallon,and stay pretty well booked even though the prices are high.

In about 25 massages over the years on ships , think I've had two that were top grade "Deep Tissue Jessica" from the UK, and a second one a few years ago on RF. the rest were mostly elbows and not of top quality, but on a cruise ship, that's the norm