Great Expectations

Xerxes10

We like shared tables at dinner. There is always a chance of being seated with someone incompatible but it is only a couple hours and you can almost always finds something to talk able that is comfortable for all. That being said, our last cruise we were seated at a table the first night with a couple from the Lake country of England. After we said they lived in a really lovely part of the world the husband asked where we were from and we said out side Atlanta. With that we hear a 10 minute lecture on his horrible Atlanta visit many years ago and his negative in his view of Atlanta. We could not change the subject and left dinner chalking it up to our first ever bad companions. Funny thing, a week later we asked to join a table and we were put with the same couple. As if he did not remember, the husband once again asked where we were from and we got the same response. This time we were saved by another lovely couple who helped us change the subject. We still laugh about these two dinners. 

• Like 1

Funny!   We were once seated at a table for six with an on-board lecturer and his wife.  The discussion was stimulating and involved wide ranging topics.  As the dinner progressed it became clear that one couple had a very different world view from the rest of the table.  Everyone was polite but that one couple refused to acknowledge us for the rest of the cruise.  Then it became a game...I would greet them in the hall with the expected steely silence in return!  

• Haha 1

Lots of funny anecdotes.  Over the years I've learned that being seated at a table for six is best, if everyone's a stranger.  Tables for four are kind of risky in that regard.  Six is not infallable though: the lady on our last cruise (Seabourn) who insisted on talking U.S. politics was one such, someone we avoided the rest of the cruise, and I'm sure she avoided us too.  Funny, her boyfriend was very nice.

I had no 'Great expectations' of Explorer.  Having just finished Cape Town -Cape Town. On the subject of people. We found we spoke to more people whilst off the ship, than on. We are an average couple from the UK. We did have a few nice chats with people that have visited here. So many compliments and questions of genuine interest. Maybe it's our accent, I don't know. 

Did we have any  'meh' moments,? yes a few. I stated these on  the form at the end. One issue in particular was crew members who were dealing with us, to suddenly divert their attention to someone who was clearly more important than us.

Unfortunately this happened on 2 occasions.  It made us feel most uncomfortable. 

Once was whilst entering Compass Rose, the other time was whilst being tended to in Prime 7. Pretty 'meh' in my opinion.

P.S. We prefer Navigator.

Edited by Suzez

Xerxes10:

Thanks for the context.  Our next UniWorld is April-May on three different boats in France. 

One addendum as to a Regent experience we remember, and chuckle about:  Several years ago when mid-way through a Voyager cruise, noted two very, very classy couples (would estimate in their late '40s or early '50s) whom we had not seen earlier come aboard at an intermediate stop.  These folks were dressed to the 9s.  They were accompanied by the Captain, as it was apparent he was giving them a tour.  O.K.  Then, later that afternoon, there they were again, in a lounge, this time accompanied by two guys with cameras, a make-up artist, and light technicians putting up various panels. 

They were actors (models)--the ones we see from time to time in Regent promotional materials almost-always with wine glasses in hand, and always smiling while engaged in pleasant conversation.  (No grumpy tablemates.)  And--for the next day, all-around the ship with that entourage in tow.  Then, the next day, at the next stop--they were no more.

Sure enough--they reappeared in brochures we received about six months later.      

GOARMY!

2 hours ago, Xerxes10 said:

WOW! So many great responses. My summary is that hiccups happen and one should go with the flow. I am advised to look at the overall experience, not single problem and, if necessary, bring a problem to staff's attention.

TC2, I'm sorry to have used a word you don't like. Do you have a synonym in mind?

GOARMY,  we have been on four river cruises (UniWorld) and about six ocean cruises (SilverSeas, Viking, Celebrity) including one on the Voyager a decade ago.

--Xerxes10 (Ed)

It isn't a word that I don't like - it is simply one that does not work for me.  When I looked up the word, the definition on one site was:

"expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm"; or "uninspiring, unexceptional"

I prefer to use more descriptive terms.  Using "meh" for instance, does not describe why you lack enthusiasm about whatever the issue is or what you find uninspiring or unexceptional.  Please do not take offense as I meant no harm with my comment.

Back to the subject.  I realize that we have cruised many times on Regent and have often come across people that want to discuss politics, religion or tell bad jokes.  Once we were dining with a Captain and a woman started going on and on about the Captain of the Costa Concordia (he is an Italian Captain and I was very embarrassed and taken aback by the comments).  We prefer to dine alone or with passengers or officers that we know.

In terms of what people say on CC vs. what they say onboard the ship - I find it completely different.  While some posters lead off saying that they booked a top suite for no apparent reason, others (such as myself) want to give information about the suites when asked.  I discuss our suite on CC when we are in the lowest or highest suite - it does not make a difference.  However, it is not something that we discuss onboard and no one knows unless we invite them for drinks in our suite.

I have no issue is stating that we will not fly coach anymore.  My DH had a million frequent flyer miles (all done flying coach) so if he only wants to fly Business or First Class - so be it as I feel that he deserves it.  I bring this up when people discuss the fact that flights within the U.S. are coach.  We have learned that most of the time it is much less money to take the air credit and book your own air rather than ask Regent to upgrade you.

Everyone should be special on a luxury cruise regardless of what suite you are in.  Dining with officers is not important to us nor do we ask for special attention or ask questions.  We have been in Captains quarters and tables and frankly it was a bore and just a show.  We enjoy fun people and laughter not staunchy folks who think they are better than we are and they don’t discuss their level in society or class of suite they are in.  That’s called manners.

Worse than a "meh" moment is the internet service on Explorer (and the other Regent ships). It is nothing like the "seamlessly stay connected with friends and family" description that Regent puts in its marketing materials.  A better description for the marketing brochures would be:

"Regent offers "free" internet that our guests pay for via their cruise fare.  Sometimes the internet works and sometimes it doesn't.  It works everywhere on the ship, except for those areas where it doesn't work. Our internet connection provides many of our guests with nostalgic moments from the past as our service mimics dial-up access speeds."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

Everyone should be special on a luxury cruise regardless of what suite you are in.  Dining with officers is not important to us nor do we ask for special attention or ask questions.  We have been in Captains quarters and tables and frankly it was a bore and just a show.  We enjoy fun people and laughter not staunchy folks who think they are better than we are and they don’t discuss their level in society or class of suite they are in.  That’s called manners.

So, I assume that you agree that what we discuss on CC is not the same as what we discuss onboard a ship?  I ask since we are aware of what suite you will be in on Explorer.  In my opinion, as long as this is not discussed onboard, it is no big deal since we are all pretty much anonymous on CC.  

BTW, passengers on Regent do not need to ask for special attention as that is what we all receive.  Not sure why asking questions is a no-no.  How else do we learn things?  In fact, CC members regularly ask people that are onboard to find out things from officers (like who will be the Captain, G.M., C.D., etc. as well as who the entertainers will be on a certain cruise.). In my opinion, it is far better to ask questions than to sail on a ship and be disappointed because it wasn't what was expected.

In terms of Regent's advertising.  This has been mentioned for years.  No one likes the "free" references but it must be working since Regent is still using it.  

I believe that Regent has changed their advertising in terms of internet.  They seemed to have very high expectations when they did upgrades on Regent but it was not what was apparently described to them (and how it was described to us).  In 2018 Oceania announced their wonderful new internet (some Regent passengers were a bit jealous) but it is no better than what Regent has.

It is best to go on Regent without unreasonable expectations.  Nothing is perfect and, as has been said, there are a few blips here and there.  So, it depends upon which blips are acceptable and which are not.

Suzez - yes - many people in the U.S. appreciate a nice British accent (although, as with people in different parts of the U.S., some accents are easier to hear than others).  I only notice my DH's accent when someone else brings it up -- I just enjoy listening to him.  Also want to say that if you were speaking to an officer and were interrupted by other passengers, that is simply rude and has nothing to do with "status".  

15 hours ago, Sir Humphrey said:

Although I have been following comments on Cruise Critic for some time now, and found it a very valuable resource, I have now felt compelled to sign up and make my first post.

Over the past 10 years we have been lucky enough to be able to enjoy a number of cruises, including three on Regent.  One of the delightful things I have found is that, with whomever you meet/dine with/converse, whatever their income level and whatever on-board accommodation they have there is no snobbery or bragging.  Conversation is delightful, informative and easy. Nobody has ever seen the need to announce the cabin they are in.

On the Cruise Critic boards (including this one and this thread) , however, there is a minority of posters who cannot resist bragging.  Often we see a phrase along the lines of "we never travel in anything less than Owner's Suite".  Well, that is perfectly fine if they can do that but are they so insecure that they need to broadcast the fact.

I cannot understand the dichotomy between what happens on board(ship) and on board (Cruise Critic).

Absolutely brilliant. And your first post! Please continue to share your observations.

2 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

Worse than a "meh" moment is the internet service on Explorer (and the other Regent ships). It is nothing like the "seamlessly stay connected with friends and family" description that Regent puts in its marketing materials.  A better description for the marketing brochures would be:

"Regent offers "free" internet that our guests pay for via their cruise fare.  Sometimes the internet works and sometimes it doesn't.  It works everywhere on the ship, except for those areas where it doesn't work. Our internet connection provides many of our guests with nostalgic moments from the past as our service mimics dial-up access speeds."

So true. Love the description. Worst internet connection ever on any cruise ship for me on the Explorer. 

16 hours ago, Sir Humphrey said:

I cannot understand the dichotomy between what happens on board(ship) and on board (Cruise Critic).

I, too, am glad that you are posting on the Regent board.  

I would like to address the last sentence of your post if I may - specifically about suites.  As you likely know, approximately 5% of Regent cruisers post on Cruise Critic.  I have no idea number the of passengers in that 5% stay in upper suites.  However, when people are looking at taking a cruise on Regent or are considering booking an upper suite, they undoubtedly have questions about the suites (in addition to what is provided on the Regent website). 

There are a few of us that tend to book upper suites (although I only know of one or two posters that always book a Master Suite).  So, those of us that book these suites share our insights - whether it be how much storage space there is, the size of the balcony one suite category vs. another, etc.  Many questions do come up.  So, a few of us post photos of the suite and answer questions.  Speaking for myself - I have stayed in every category of suite on Explorer (except the two lowest categories that most Regent cruisers do not care for as they are more suited to solo travelers) so it is easy for me to respond to queries.

While my last sentence could easily be mistaken as bragging, in reality, I am fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to answer questions regarding that ship.  Now, when I am onboard Explorer next month, no one on CC knows what category of suite that we are in and we certainly will not be sharing that with others (unless specifically asked).  The bottom line for me is that I am happy to be able to answer questions and it took me years and many cruises to be able to do so.  There are certainly people with many more nights on Regent than we have but few of them post on CC.  

Regulars on the Regent board answer the same questions many, many times but are happy to do so.  I do not refer people back to old threads but rather give recent experience about the ship/suites/food/service, etc.  For me this is a hobby - one that I enjoy very much and hope to continue posting until we are no longer cruising on Regent.

Hope this gives some insight as to why this poster discusses different things onboard a ship than I do on CC.

Edited by Travelcat2

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regulars on the Regent board answer the same questions many, many times but are happy to do so.  I do not refer people back to old threads but rather give recent experience about the ship/suites/food/service, etc.  

Hope this gives some insight as to why this poster discusses different things onboard a ship than I do on CC.

Re:recent experience. I think I read recently that you have not been on the Navigator for six years. Based on the comment noted above, is it not time to stop commenting.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Suzez - yes - many people in the U.S. appreciate a nice British accent (although, as with people in different parts of the U.S., some accents are easier to hear than others).  I only notice my DH's accent when someone else brings it up -- I just enjoy listening to him.  Also want to say that if you were speaking to an officer and were interrupted by other passengers, that is simply rude and has nothing to do with "status".  

It was extremely rude, we have never experience this before. We ended up pointing out to the waiter who was interrupted that it wasn't his fault. He felt uncomfortable withe situation. It was the restaurant manager that was at fault. I never feel a lesser person than anyone else. I do however, think my manners are better than some though. If I were the passenger that was being put in front of us, I would have said ' Please, just continue serving these good people.' Not just treat us as if we  weren't there. Both the passenger and the manager were at fault here. If it was just the one occasion, we might have put it down to 'distraction' but it was twice. That's simply unexceptionable. 

Edited by Suzez

CBWIR - thank you for you kind comments and welcome.  As our next Regent cruise (which will be our first on Navigator) is not until 2020 I doubt I will have much to add until that cruise is completed, when I hope to be able report.  

Travelcat2 - also, thank you for your kind comment.  Just to be clear, however, I have absolutely no issue with people reporting on their experiences or answering questions about accommodation, whatever the level.  That is a valuable resources.  My issue is with those who, apropos of nothing, state that they never travel in the highest levels of suite. That is pomposity that needs to be pricked.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:23 PM, Sir Humphrey said:

Although I have been following comments on Cruise Critic for some time now, and found it a very valuable resource, I have now felt compelled to sign up and make my first post.

Over the past 10 years we have been lucky enough to be able to enjoy a number of cruises, including three on Regent.  One of the delightful things I have found is that, with whomever you meet/dine with/converse, whatever their income level and whatever on-board accommodation they have there is no snobbery or bragging.  Conversation is delightful, informative and easy. Nobody has ever seen the need to announce the cabin they are in.

On the Cruise Critic boards (including this one and this thread) , however, there is a minority of posters who cannot resist bragging.  Often we see a phrase along the lines of "we never travel in anything less than Owner's Suite".  Well, that is perfectly fine if they can do that but are they so insecure that they need to broadcast the fact.

Perhaps, Sir Humphrey, you are taking what the posters say the wrong way?   The cabins and suites are all very different and it is, I think, useful to know what sort of cabin/suite a person generally books if s/he is making comments about accommodation.   We like big suites.  But we do not cruise often.  We could cruise more often if we didn't like big suites.  Now - why do we like them?  Not because they are large, per se, but simply because we prefer - need almost - to have two bathrooms (alternative is divorce!)  We also like large balconies.  I only mention what suite we are in / were in when it is relevant to the discussion at hand!   Does that help?

6 hours ago, CBWIR said:

Re:recent experience. I think I read recently that you have not been on the Navigator for six years. Based on the comment noted above, is it not time to stop commenting.

Certain things do not change on a ship.  In the case of the Navigator, they have not taken out suites in order to make more public areas or a forward lounge and she still vibrates.  My comments about Navigator are about the ship itself - not the current experience onboard.

15 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

There are a few of us that tend to book upper suites (although I only know of one or two posters that always book a Master Suite).  So, those of us that book these suites share our insights - whether it be how much storage space there is, the size of the balcony one suite category vs. another, etc.  Many questions do come up.  So, a few of us post photos of the suite and answer questions.  Speaking for myself - I have stayed in every category of suite on Explorer (except the two lowest categories that most Regent cruisers do not care for as they are more suited to solo travelers) so it is easy for me to respond to queries.

was regent suite worth the money?

have you booked it again for your dh birthday

19 minutes ago, seaknots said:

was regent suite worth the money?

have you booked it again for your dh birthday

Oops - what I posted definitely made it sound like we were in the Regent suite (we were not) - only toured it twice.  If someone has the money to spend, it would definitely be worth it with the spa area inside, etc.  We also have not stayed in the PH suite as we do not care for them (toured them three times).  While I was incorrect about Explorer, we have definitely stayed in every suite category on Explorer ....... from a regular suite up to the master suite (both types - the ones on deck 11 and 7 which are very different).  Both stays in the master suites on Voyager were from upsell offers.

The suites we book are based on the price but my husband wants the extra bathroom (or 1/2. bath).  His birthday cruise is expensive and I'm not sure why this itinerary should be higher than others.  The Regent Suite for that cruise is $220,000 (for 2) and has been waitlisted for quite a while.  Interestingly, this cruise was selling so poorly that a special offer was made to people living in California - 25% off.  Almost made me wish I hadn't moved away from there (still happy to be in Washington:-)

Sorry for the confusion.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Certain things do not change on a ship.  In the case of the Navigator, they have not taken out suites in order to make more public areas or a forward lounge and she still vibrates.  My comments about Navigator are about the ship itself - not the current experience onboard.

The Connoisseur Club has been replaced by the library providing more space for nonsmokers. The Navigator Bar area has been reconfigured to provide additional seating. The former library/computer room has been replaced by Coffee corner and more seating. The underutilized Casino bar has been removed and seating provided . Additional seating has been provided in Galileo's. Other than that, no changes.

True - no forward lounge but the vibration has been significantly reduced (not eliminated) by the addition of a a structural skirt around the aft hull. This was probably done more than six years ago but the other changes were within the last six years.

1 hour ago, CBWIR said:

The Connoisseur Club has been replaced by the library providing more space for nonsmokers. The Navigator Bar area has been reconfigured to provide additional seating. The former library/computer room has been replaced by Coffee corner and more seating. The underutilized Casino bar has been removed and seating provided . Additional seating has been provided in Galileo's. Other than that, no changes.

True - no forward lounge but the vibration has been significantly reduced (not eliminated) by the addition of a a structural skirt around the aft hull. This was probably done more than six years ago but the other changes were within the last six years.

Thank you for an update on the refurbishments.  You are correct that what some call the "duck tail" was added before we stopped sailing on the ship.  There are still reports of vibration (more than on Voyager which we were on last year).  I was aware of the removal of the Connoisseur Club but was not aware of the Casino bar being removed (not sure I ever saw a Casino bar -- was the casino removed as well? )

I liked the Navigator Bar the way it was and they have what is likely the best coffee machine of all of the ships (it should be good for $40K - and that was several years ago).  Wondering how they put more seating in Galileo's unless they squeezed them in.  

In addition to saying that we have no plans to sail on Navigator again, I have posted that she is a beautiful ship in many ways and prefer her basic suites to those on Mariner.  I also like CR and the theater.  The biggest issue for us is the stability at sea and overcrowding in the interior of the ship in inclement weather (also not a fan of most of their upper suites ......... the exception is Navigator suite 1125 which one of a kind).  So far my favorite Regent ships are:

1.  Explorer

2.  Voyager

3.  Mariner

4.  Navigator

I expect that Splendor will be beautiful but we are so happy with Explorer that we will likely continue to sail on her through 2021 (with the exception of the Explorer cruise that became a Splendor cruise).

Given the price of a Regent (or any luxury line cruise), it is only normal for one to have high expectations. My expectations when I stay at The Peninsula are different to when I am in a Hilton. For the record, I totally agree with GOARMY's post... sound advice. If something is not to your liking, speak immediately with management to get it resolved. Much better that way than to let the cruise continue in an unsatisfactory manner... those are days wasted that you'll never get back! 

In regards to peacocking passengers, luckily we have encountered them less and less, but if I am permitted to make a general observation, I do find more of them on shorter 7-12 night cruises which we regularly take, to longer 32 nights+ one. The worst case we ever experienced was on a 7 night Seabourn cruise. Wonderful voyage but some of the things I saw were incredible, in a bad way. Que a passenger trying to kiss a suite stewardess right in front of me, then getting violent when rejected, for example. Needless to say they were put ashore. 

Edited by bahrain_not_dubai!

17 hours ago, CBWIR said:

We sailed on the Navigator before and after that "duck tail" was added and found no perceived change in vibrations.  That said - the one and only time I was bothered by the vibrations was once on a TA cruise in the theatre.  the whole place shook.