Edge: Wine+water/soda+other alcohol... how to bring that onboard of the Edge

marylander2

Edge cruise is getting closer.

Could those of you who already sailed kindly post here your experience with bringing (and perhaps, ahem, sneaking :)) alcohol and water/soda on-board of the Egde?

(Bot on embarkation day and in ports - I personally enjoy St Maarten for availability and pricing of good liquors...).

RCCL - as I have read on relevant thread - seemed to limit the water/soda take-in on embarkation day; does this apply now to X as well?

Also, where to carry alcohol (those two bottles of wine) - in carry-on? And there is a stern "no" to ANY liquid-filled (wink-wink) bottle(s) in the check-in?

Please share your knowledge!

Thanks - I am certainly aware of those; however, there were some reports stating different approach of security staff to this issue on the Edge (vtcruising, if I remember correctly, had trouble with maple syrup in the check-in luggage...).

Over the years, I personally saw a lot of deviation from the printed lines while bringing alcohol and water to many of the X ships, that's why I am asking about PERSONAL experience on Edge.

But thank you again for pointing out. 

I thought I read somewhere that someone had problems bringing on water on Edge.  Remember Edge has a serious program regarding plastics.  From what I remember they were refused bringing on water due to the plastic bottles.  I would check with Celebrity specifically for Edge.

5 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I thought I read somewhere that someone had problems bringing on water on Edge.  Remember Edge has a serious program regarding plastics.  From what I remember they were refused bringing on water due to the plastic bottles.  I would check with Celebrity specifically for Edge.

Yes, this was one of the reasons I wanted to hear from the people about their Edge experience. I do remember a post by someone saying about the issue of plastic bottles being brought on the Edge, or at least of an issue with bringing WATER to the ship. I hope those already sailed would share their experience. 

Not saying that I would do this (eyes shifting from side to side). But if a person were to  purchase a set of rum runners available on amazon a person could perhaps fill said rum runners with alcohol. Then place the rum runners in a makeup bag along with various toiletries (sun tan lotion, lip stick , etc). Just something a person could do , Ahem (eyes still shifting from side to side). I have heard, Ahem, that this works quite well saving you money and allowing you to enjoys spirits in your stateroom. Not that I would know anything about that.

Edited by wdblake

24 minutes ago, wdblake said:

Not saying that I would do this (eyes shifting from side to side). 

Ha ha ha (eyes slightly shifting)

This is the trick that was used thousands of times by savvy cruisers, and it is as old as a wheel - however, I just called the X captain's club and they told me that ALL LIQUIDS (DRINKS) - two bottles of wine plus water/soda/sports drinks etc. ... have to be carried on, NOT checked in. Alcohol allowance (official) = 2 wines. Water/soda/juices/milk etc. = as much as you can carry on you while checking in with your carry on. 

I wonder (talking about, ahem, rum runners) if anything of suspicious volume (huge mouthwash bottles etc.) will be allowed in the check-in. This suspicion rests on the funny hold-up of VTcruising maple syrup bottles (in a "naughty room" on the Edge!). Therefore, I am not gonna rum-runner-risk it, just will use 2 wines plus my favorite sodas (Dr Pepper) plus GATORADE (go Gators!), and I am sure I can add a few bottles of sparkling water - all has to be hauled by my trusty shoulders... 

Perhaps an explanation of Celebrity policies would help here:

You are allowed to bring 2 750ml bottles of wine aboard at embarkation.  You do not have to board with your "room-mate".  Either of you can bring the 2 bottles on board.  Of course, you would coordinate among yourselves to assure that you didn't accidentally bring 4 bottles on board.

Our experience in St Maartin (and a number of other ports) is that any wine/liquor you purchase and bring back after your visit to the port is just ignored and you may just have to store it in your stateroom for the remainder of the cruise. 

Several embarkation ports use scanners for your carry on luggage before you even check in...run by the port or some security company eg. Rome.  They are looking for explosives/etc, not bottles of drinkable liquid.  After check in, you just walk on board the ship and have your picture taken...(no further scanners). 

Finally, on a B2B cruise which are two separate cruises to everyone working for Celebrity, they help you pack at the end of the first cruise by returning any wine/liquor they have held for you, including any you purchased at the on-board store so you can pack it on the last night of the first cruise.  Unfortunately, you are now stuck with those bottles in your cabin during your second cruise.

Edited by ghstudio

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

Finally, on a B2B cruise which are two separate cruises to everyone working for Celebrity, they help you pack at the end of the first cruise by returning any wine/liquor they have held for you, including any you purchased at the on-board store so you can pack it on the last night of the first cruise.  Unfortunately, you are now stuck with those bottles in your cabin during your second cruise.

We have had similar experience on B2Bs in the past. As with many things on X different ships, different personnel, different procedures.  A B2B ealier this year all liquor purchases made by those of us on the first leg were held until the end of the 2nd.