Advice please re. Celebrity Silhouette!

SandyDix

Hello all cruisers, this is my first post. We have never been on a cruise before and are thinking of booking the Norweigan fjords on Celebrity Silhouette 25/8/19. I have a few questions and have emailed the cruise line but they have not replied to me. Could I please put these questions to all you lovely experienced cruisers - any replies would be gratefully appreciated! Many thanks in advance, guys.

1) I would like to upgrade from the classic drinks package which is provided free as part of a deal, to premium. However, my partner drinks very little alcohol so is it possible for just me to upgrade? How much would this be?

2) Given that the above deal includes all tips, does this mean we are not expected to provide any more tips? For instance, I presume that ordering a beer on a drinks package ( whether classic or premium) does not incur another 18% charge?

3) We would like to book Aquaclass. However, we prefer the bed to be next to the bathroom as opposed to the balcony. How can we tell which cabins are set out like this?

4) My partner is very sensitive to cigarette smoke. I understand certain exterior areas of the ship allow smoking. Can you tell me if there are any particular cabins on deck 11 that are more likely to have smoke wafting into the balcony area? If so we would avoid them.

5) With regard to dining at the Blu restaurant, we would prefer to sometimes sit with a group and other times be seated just the two of us. Is this possible if we let staff know when we arrive for the meal? We would like to do the same in the main dining room if possible too.

6) In your experience, are the waters likely to be rough in August for the Norweigan fjords voyage?

7) We intend to do some excursions independently. Do we just walk off the boat to do this or is there likely to be a queue and if so how could we avoid it eg maybe by departing earlier than the organised tours?

8) Could you tell me which ports require a shuttle to take us into the main town/city? I presume this is free for all passengers, regardless of whether they have booked an excursion?

9) Is cava, vin mousseux or prosecco included in the premium package? ( I am assumimg champagne isn't).

10) This will be our first cruise - do you find that cabins at the front feel more movement when the sea is choppy?

Phew! I think that is all for now! Sorry for the long post and for asking questions that may seem obvious to more experienced cruisers! Many thanks again -I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy cruising, Sandy x

1) yes, you can upgrade one or both...cost is $10 plus 18% gratuity for a total of $11.80 each per day.

2) Gratuities are included in the price of the drink packages, no additional tip is charged when you get a drink.

3) check the cabins in the sticky at the top of page 1 here. Bed location alternates, so if you find one cabin in your row of cabins, then you can look at a deck plan and figure out if the cabin you booked is bed near bathroom or bed near balcony.

4) I don't think this will be a problem in any aqua cabin on your ship.

5) If you are in select dining in the MDR, they will ask if you want a table for 2 or would like to join a group.  It works very well.  Blu, however, does not give you this option...you eat with whoever you arrive with.  The onlyl way to put together an ad hoc group is to do it yourself when you get to Blu just asking folks waiting if they would like to join you.

6) We had very smooth water on our Norway cruise (Princess), but every cruise is different....you can't predict the weather that far out.

7) The only time you may have a problem is if you are at a port where they tender.  If you are at a dock, you can pretty much get off any time...just go to the gangway when they announce that they have docked and been cleared.

😎 you have to check..and don't assume that shuttles are free.  Sometimes they are, sometimes they are $10 or so for the day. I can't answer for your specific ports

9) I beliveve that there is a Prosecco is included in the classic package...can't tell you about the others.

10) generally speaking the very front and back of the ship and the top decks move more in rough seas.  Having said that, if the seas are rough, you will feel them no matter where you are.  Don't book a cabin based on worrying about rough seas or book a cabin midship on the lowests deck if it's a significant issue.

1.  I would suggest trying the classic package and you can upgrade later.

5.  The tables for 2 are very close to each other.  We often engage in conversation to those on either side of us.  As mentioned, if you meet a compatible group in the restaurant, then just meet up the next night at the entrance to Blu.

7.  No free shuttles in the majority of ports.  They are typically not included in your cruise fare unless you book an excursion via Celebrity.  If it is a tender port and you have no special status, you will have to wait your turn.  

9.  Prosecco is included in the Classic Package.  You can also get the Celebrity "champagne" as well.

2 hours ago, SandyDix said:
Hello all cruisers, this is my first post. We have never been on a cruise before and are thinking of booking the Norweigan fjords on Celebrity Silhouette 25/8/19. I have a few questions and have emailed the cruise line but they have not replied to me. Could I please put these questions to all you lovely experienced cruisers - any replies would be gratefully appreciated! Many thanks in advance, guys.

1) I would like to upgrade from the classic drinks package which is provided free as part of a deal, to premium. However, my partner drinks very little alcohol so is it possible for just me to upgrade? How much would this be?

2) Given that the above deal includes all tips, does this mean we are not expected to provide any more tips? For instance, I presume that ordering a beer on a drinks package ( whether classic or premium) does not incur another 18% charge?

3) We would like to book Aquaclass. However, we prefer the bed to be next to the bathroom as opposed to the balcony. How can we tell which cabins are set out like this?

4) My partner is very sensitive to cigarette smoke. I understand certain exterior areas of the ship allow smoking. Can you tell me if there are any particular cabins on deck 11 that are more likely to have smoke wafting into the balcony area? If so we would avoid them.

5) With regard to dining at the Blu restaurant, we would prefer to sometimes sit with a group and other times be seated just the two of us. Is this possible if we let staff know when we arrive for the meal? We would like to do the same in the main dining room if possible too.

6) In your experience, are the waters likely to be rough in August for the Norweigan fjords voyage?

7) We intend to do some excursions independently. Do we just walk off the boat to do this or is there likely to be a queue and if so how could we avoid it eg maybe by departing earlier than the organised tours?

😎 Could you tell me which ports require a shuttle to take us into the main town/city? I presume this is free for all passengers, regardless of whether they have booked an excursion?

9) Is cava, vin mousseux or prosecco included in the premium package? ( I am assumimg champagne isn't).

10) This will be our first cruise - do you find that cabins at the front feel more movement when the sea is choppy?

Phew! I think that is all for now! Sorry for the long post and for asking questions that may seem obvious to more experienced cruisers! Many thanks again -I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy cruising, Sandy x

Wow! How exciting for you! First-timers! A very special time...

I've cruised on the Silhouette twice and am due on board again later this year. Lots of other Celebrity and Princess cruises in the past.

As ghstudio pointed out, you just cannot pre-judge how calm <---> rough the seas will be. Cape Horn was a millpond for us whereas we had serious issues in the Adriatic on one occasion. So just enjoy the cruise and if it gets choppy  you may be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get seasick.

You ask about the bow end or the stern end accommodation: we've often cruised at the back. It's great to sit on the balcony and watch the wake of the ship. However, there can be engine vibration at times ----so we make sure that there are several decks below us!

At the front there is a great view! Yes, the anchors do make a din ---- but they're not used that much!

Before you decide on a room, check what is near, below and above. I wouldn't select accommodation under a bar, restaurant, pool, jogging deck etc. 

The only time I've broken my 'never near a ....' rule was on my Reflection cruise. Our room was on Deck 14 and it backed onto a popular lounge -----fabulous soundproofing! No issues!

Shuttles: I've never had a free shuttle with Celebrity.

The Fjords: never been. Have visited Oslo twice ----very expensive. If your cruise includes this city, do go to the Vigeland Sculpture Park ----amazing! Camera needed!

Have fun! 

We have been in Aqua Class several times.  Of course it is down to personal preference, but we book an A2 that’s under the cabins on deck 12.  Some of the cabins are under the gym and pool.  Some people report no issues with noise, others the opposite.  

We met up with other guests at the Cruise  Critic connections meet up.  Some of whom were in Aqua Class. We dined with several of them on many of the evenings. 

You may wish to pop over to the ports section of Cruise Critic and check out comments on the ports you will be going to.  I understand and I don’t know if it’s one of your ports, but travelling on the Flam railway independently can be tricky, in that the cruise ship books it up and there are very few tickets left for others.  I look at what Celebrity offers and then use that to look at independent tours. 

Oh and this is probably not the case now, but we have had a free shuttle bus put on by Celebrity in the past.  

I guess you will be sailing out of Southampton.  Bank Holiday weekend?  You may want to factor a night at a hotel before you sail.  We all know what the roads are like in the U.K. at peak holiday times and even worse at bank holidays 😄

You can book parking at the port through ABP.  they sometimes offer a discount.  Silhouette usually sails from 101 berth = City Cruise Terminal.  

Enjoy your cruise.  We are hoping to undertake the same cruise for a couple of special birthdays in 2022

Edited by bengaltiger1

Blu seating is so close together that you’ll easily talk to other pax. The seas are less predictable. We’ve been very lucky and experienced good waters travelling to Norway a couple of times. We’re back on Silhouette this May and she’s our favourite S class ship.

The Lawn Club Grill is definitely worth trying - haggle for a discount (we’re yet to pay full price for any speciality restaurant on X). I’d not upgrade to premium until your board, you may find the Classic beverage package meets your needs perfectly well.

Head over to the ‘Ports of Call’ board for fabulous information on all the ports. You’ll love Norway, hopefully Geiranger is on your itinerary?

If your husband is sensitive to second hand smoke, I would stay away from cabins on the port side.  There is a smoking area on the port side promenade deck and smoke can come up into you balconies.  Aqua class cabins may be high enough to avoid this problem, but why take an unnecessary risk.  

20 hours ago, arsenalboy said:

I had to read your point number 6 twice because I thought you were asking would the waiters be rough!:classic_laugh:

LOL, me too!  Maybe we need better reading glasses.  

For No 7, it can pay to queue up a bit early to get off the ship if you’re trying meet an early private tour.  Sometimes it takes half an hour or so to get the first rush of people off the ship, especially if they can only use one gangway.

For No 8, every once in a while there is a free shuttle someplace.  We usually give credit to the town we’re calling at, rather than to Celebrity.  I don’t think they spring for many free shuttles.

If you book a private excursion online prior to your cruise, they usually set the shore meet time so that you are not jostling with the passengers rushing to get off.  You can get excursion providers recommendations on cruise critic or travel advisor.