Port times

silversurf1

P and o seem very reluctant to publish their arrival and departure times, most other cruise lines show this on port websites.

Despite extensive research I can’t find port times for our cruise. This makes it very difficult to book private excursions.

Have you tried this site?

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/

Go to 'itinerary look up' , select your ship from the drop down list and it should show the ship's itinerary by date.  Select 'View' for the appropriate date and it should show port times and helpfully, other ships in port which gives you an idea on pressure on the infrastructure in port  and who arrives first!!  Can help with planning especially if you're planning to use local transport etc 

Hope it works for you.  I'm fine it pretty reliable - as long as the ship is listed.  It's a bit frustrating that P&O don't choose to share the info with passengers.

Edited by kruzseeka

P.s. Just checked our booked cruises - patchy picture.  Two are showing port times for 2019 -  winter season not, and dates don't go as far as 2020 summer itineraries.  I don't suppose you'd be looking at times yet for cruises some long time ahead so hope you're ok for any upcoming dates.

1 hour ago, silversurf1 said:

Thanks for that kruzseeka. Perfect. Website is a bit difficult to navigate, but got there in the end.

Fraid its a bit too hard for me to fathom out but anything that isn't straight forward usually has me beaten :classic_unsure:

41 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Fraid its a bit too hard for me to fathom out but anything that isn't straight forward usually has me beaten :classic_unsure:

If you let me know your ship and departure date maybe I can help you out.

Les.

You're welcome.  Yes it's easy enough if you're familiar with the site but like many things it's just finding the right buttons to press!  It looks as though you might be the only ship in your ports of call so that's good too - not so much pressure on transport, attractions etc.  Sometimes ships not listed do turn up - i don't take that info as set in stone, well none of it is really,  but I find the timings generally accurate barring unforeseen events.  

7 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

You're welcome.  Yes it's easy enough if you're familiar with the site but like many things it's just finding the right buttons to press!  It looks as though you might be the only ship in your ports of call so that's good too - not so much pressure on transport, attractions etc.  Sometimes ships not listed do turn up - i don't take that info as set in stone, well none of it is really,  but I find the timings generally accurate barring unforeseen events.  

Thank you again....yes it gives some idea and as I said we should have 2 full days....unlike the cruise we have booked with a" rival" company...booked overnight in Amsterdam then they changed it to Rotterdam and looking at Rotterdam's port schedule we are due in Rotterdam at 14:00....depart following morning at 06:00...taking into consideration the nearly 50 miles each way....shuttle buses provided for 4000 passengers!! :classic_ohmy:... back to Amsterdam you can practically say that you won't have much time at all....if any... in Amsterdam

Having two full days will give you plenty of time to explore.  I do like the recent development of 'over-nighting' in destinations where there is plenty to do - and evenings in port gives completely different experience.  I agree, the alternative Rotterdam itinerary doesn't work nearly so well.  Enjoy!

2 hours ago, happytravelleruk said:

Hi, Silversurf.   Have  you found  any 'definite' sailing times for the Iceland cruise? I have tried looking at the mentioned sites but have given up. Perhaps you could put them on here or the roll call. Thanks

What is the ship and sailing date - I'll try to pull it up for you.

I've just checked for my sailing on Britannia in July and it shows different dates/ports to that on the P&O website. Probably just needs updating but you might want to double check any info they give just in case.

I always find it strange that people need to know the exact time a ship is due into or due out from a port, so they can book private tours. For numerous reasons ships cannot always stick to the time given. If one of the ports is Guernsey , that is a tender port. So you will be very lucky to get ashore at all. Any half way decent private  tour operator will know when a ship is due in, and when it's due to leave. Whenever we have booked any the meet up time is just stated as 1/2 hour after ship has docked. We have booked numerous private tours over the years without knowing when the ship is getting in or leaving. Remember whatever times you find may not match reality when the time comes, including visiting the ports it states it's hoping to visit.

Not everyone is seeking to book private tours either.  If you are planning your own day and intend to use local transport, knowing docking times, having bus/train timetables to hand and, crucially, knowing departure times allows you to plan your time in port.

A window of  'early/late'  morning/afternoon/evening can translate into 2/3 hours difference in time ashore.  That can determine whether it's practical or not to attempt a DiY excursion at a given port.   

Of course we could wing it and take a guess and wait until P&O actually tell us their timings but much of the research is done prior to travel, not once on board.  I certainly don't intend to buy into their Internet packages or spend my holiday time planning our days in port when I can do it easily at home.  In any case that's part of the anticipation and enjoyment in the run up to our cruise.

As you quite rightly say, private tour companies are likely to know the ship's port times.  I just think it's a pity P&O don't extend the same courtesy to their passengers.