MSC does not provide distilled water for CPAP machines

riddle

Just found out that MSC will not provide me with distilled water for my CPAP machine.  They told me to just bring some myself.  Now I am flying in for the cruise and will not have a car.  I guess I am supposed to come up with this water and drag a jug of it along with my luggage and CPAP machine onto the cruise.  I have cruised about 35 times and have never had this issue on other lines.

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

All the other threads on here say they do provide it from customers services if you fill out a special needs form in advance.

Also request a power plug next to the bed.

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/Assets/16026_15_MSC_FORMULARIO_SPECIAL_NEEDS_ENG-ed.pdf

I was on the Divina for 32 days in December and the distilled water was not in the room.  I went to GS and was told I had to go to medical the next day when it opened to get it.  I went to medical and was told they were out, they did not get enough at Miami.  Went to GS again and was told they could make Distilled water on the ship. Received a card the next day from Special needs personnel asking if I had received everything I needed and I told them no.  That afternoon there was a gallon of distilled water in my cabin that they had made on the ship.

The second cruise was the same thing, no distilled water available even though others I knew had gotten a bottle. Medical said to get off at the first port and get it, I was like where in Jamaica do you buy distilled water?  Fortunately the gallon I had was enough for the whole cruise.

I was told that you are now allowed to bring it on since they do not have enough storage space for it.  I guess they will not be providing it anymore from the sounds of it. 

OP, you can use the CPAP machine without the distilled water and I found on the cruise ship I used very little due to the high humidity.

Next cruise if I don't have any no big deal, will just do without.

I got the same response (no) when I submitted MSCs Special Needs form. They said that they would not provide either an extension cord or distilled water. I can do without humidity so I just packed an extension cord.  They were both in our cabin when we arrived.  I only had to ask that the cord be taped down, which it was. 

I submitted the form three times before I got any reply. Also, we were in the YC so that may be why the final answer was "yes".

I've had the same experience with MSC. They would not provide an extension or the water. I brought my own extension cord (plain, no surge protection) and used bottled water from the ship bars. I've also been  told that the ship's tap water is more or less distilled. Since then, I have stopped using the water at all, no ill effect. Ken

Edited by CruiseIreland

Distilled water is not required for your CPAP. Yes, it helps the machine run better in the long run ans reduces the amount of “build up” in the water reservoir, but for a 7- night cruise you’ll be fine with bottled or tap water.

Dont sweat it.

• Like 1

I don't use a CPAP but I do use a neti pot daily so I avoid nasal congestion and the chronic ear infections that can result from it. So I ask to purchase distilled water too on cruises. This is good to know you can't get it on MSC so I adjust accordingly. I face this when we go to Cozumel for a few weeks at a time too. None of the grocery stores have distilled water. What I do there is purchase bottled water and boil it to be safe. I will likely do the same on our upcoming cruise, asking if the kitchen can boil some for me. I don't goof around with that as there was recently a case in the U.S. where someone died from a brain infection not using distilled or sanitized water for their neti pot. 

My husband used his CPAP last month. We didn't have any issues getting the Distilled water. I filled out the Special Services sheet and requested distilled water. We brought our own extension cord. We went directly to guest services when the water wasn't in the room. They called the medical  office. We were asked to go pick it up there so we did. Easy!

Good Luck.

On the one MSC cruise I did in January of 2017 (on the seaside,) I went to the medical bay and was given a partial gallon of distilled water for no cost.

Also consider this, the fresh water on board is distilled from the ships water system.  Worst case scenario, use the tap water.  The only difference between that and getting it from the jug is on the ship it will have traveled through more pipes.  Otherwise its the same.

I would submit a "Special Needs" form and more than likely you will have provided what you need regardless of their reply. If they respond to your Special Needs" form with a "no" answer (seems like their typical reply), then print that email and take it with you and show it to security.

I really do not think that they would question you about the water if you have your CPAP in your CPAP carryon bag. BTW - - You really do not need distilled water. Many people just use tap water (ship or at home) and if there is ever a buildup of scale then it can be easily removed with vinegar and water, or just buy a new water tank; they are cheap.

We sailed on Seaside 1/12.  My husband uses a CPAP and both distilled water and an extension cord were provided.

I filled out the form online, and even though neither were in our cabin upon arrival, either our butler or cabin steward took care of it.  

2 hours ago, jules815 said:

We sailed on Seaside 1/12.  My husband uses a CPAP and both distilled water and an extension cord were provided.

I filled out the form online, and even though neither were in our cabin upon arrival, either our butler or cabin steward took care of it.  

That is what I did (but it took 3 submissions before they replied with a no). We were in the YC also and our butler handled the problem. I wonder if non-YC passengers are treated equally in this situation?