STRAWS?

Cruisegirl6

16 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

That's a good question . Actually they do along with several other items like napkins and so forth easily get caught up in the wind that blast across several areas of the ship.  People just leave their plates and walk away on the exterior tables on the Fantasy class ships.  One of my biggest concerns with Carnival is a lack of staff members cleaning those tables.   Several times over have I bussed my own table just so my family had a place to sit.

It was so bad on one cruise I started taking pictures of all the dirty tables.  I was amazed of how fast the staff started cleaning those tables when they noticed me taking pictures.

Funny thing is when I said it depends on the bar/bartender as to whether or not you get a straw automatically. The one place you get a straw every time regardless of the bartender without asking? Lido deck. Good luck eliminating those with all of the frozen drinks they serve out there. Nobody is going to drink a Caribbean Colada or a Miami Vice without a straw.

Edited by Saint Greg

The only time I don't use a straw at home is when drinking coffee or beer or wine.  I think it started with having a drink at work.  I worked at an animal clinic, so I always used a lid with a straw.  At home, I drink out of my yeti with a straw.  I buy the plastic twisty ones.  I don't feel like I can get the reusable kind clean.  I feel like it keeps the lid & edge of the cup cleaner.  In restaurants, they always give me a straw, so I use it.

As far as straws going overboard, I've actually had that happen while standing next to the railing.  My straw literally flew out of my cup.  I felt terrible about littering, but nothing I could do about it.  Now, when I have a drink out by the rail, I keep a finger on the straw to keep it in the cup.

• Like 1

LOL I guess if you drink a frozen drink such as a strawberry daiquiri you just have a frozen alcoholic drink right in your face lol 

I will continue using straws,  if they ban plastic bottle waters and cups then I will accept not being able to get a straw, but the straw is not going first in my book!!

16 minutes ago, Bees29 said:

How are you supposed to drink a Strawberry Daiquiri without a straw??? Honestly??!

Relax, you will still get a straw.  No-one is taking away your guns.  I mean straws.  No-one is taking away your straws.  :classic_wink:

But in the future you might get one made out of a different material such as paper (or hemp or pasta).  The straw, that is.

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Coming from an area which already adopted no plastic straws, I can tell you paper straws suck.... no pun intended.

They may "suck" but the environment and the oceans appreciate the effort by Carnival.

40 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

LOL I guess if you drink a frozen drink such as a strawberry daiquiri you just have a frozen alcoholic drink right in your face lol 

I will continue using straws,  if they ban plastic bottle waters and cups then I will accept not being able to get a straw, but the straw is not going first in my book!!

What you may not understand is sea life, such as turtles manatees etc eat the straws thinking they are food. Many beach communites are banning straws for this very reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Relax, you will still get a straw.  No-one is taking away your guns.  I mean straws.  No-one is taking away your straws.  :classic_wink:

But in the future you might get one made out of a different material such as paper (or hemp or pasta).  The straw, that is.

Actually on my last three or four cruises with Carnival paper straws were the only straws they had . You use them one time (they get mushy) and toss them in the trash after that.  So paper straws should be circulating the fleet soon.

Edited by BoDidly

3 hours ago, Salt Wind said:

Speaking of disposable paper products, what about toiletries?  Specifically toilet paper?  Are passengers with hemorrhoids allowed to bring their own medicated toilet paper?   :classic_sad: 

You had to go there, didn’t you

LOL

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

37 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Actually on my last three or four cruises with Carnival paper straws were the only straws they had . You use them one time (they get mushy) and toss them in the trash after that.  So paper straws should be circulating the fleet soon.

Really? What ships have you been cruising on? Paper straws in the alchemy as well?

Ok, I get it the marine life are eating the plastic straws, makes sense. I am good with paper straws I just keep getting a new one when they get soggy at least I be saving the Marine life, but they really need to go away from plastic water bottles and plastic cups even more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoDidly said:

Vista ,Breeze ,  Sunshine.  All on lido . Never visit Alchemy bar.

I know Breeze had plastic straws in March. Maybe it’s a Florida thing. I’ll find out in a month on Vista. Maybe I’ll add straws to my packing list just in case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Speaking of disposable paper products, what about toiletries?  Specifically toilet paper?  Are passengers with hemorrhoids allowed to bring their own medicated toilet paper?   :classic_sad:

Bring some wet wipes and don't flush them, in the trash can

• Like 1

There are a lot of things wrong with this world and how people dispose of things is a huge one! Reduce, reuse, recycle. However, being responsible is the key. If you want a straw ask for it. If you don't like paper and that's all they have, suck it up and bring your own. I have metal straws at home but use whatever is given to me while I'm out. There are people super concerned about the environment and rightfully so. The damage that is done by irresponsible people is ridiculous! But just like everything else, the few ruin it for the many.  

11 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Oh, one more thing - I had a drink at a beach-bar a few weeks ago, and the straw was dried pasta!  It lasted the whole drink without getting the slightest bit soggy (need hot/boiling water for that to happen in any useful time), and it obviously much more wild-life friendly - it will eventually get soggy even in cold water and turn into fishfood.  Probably far more expensive than a regular plastic straw (I found them on Amazon, $75 for 1000, so 7.5 cents each), but I suspect the bar was ok in absorbing that cost in their $8 pina colada.

Coconuts on the Beach (Cocoa Beach) offered us pasta straws with our Bloody Marys - we thought it was a great idea.  A lot of places in Florida are switching to paper straws.  If it saves just one sea turtle, I can get behind this.  🙂

Edited by cruisemom2

Just now, coevan said:

This is a little confusing, on the ship, on the beach, at your house, in a hurricane?  :classic_blink:

Think she’s talking about her house. And I’m fine with her banning straws in her house. I don’t doubt that ocean straws come from people on beaches. I do doubt they come from carnival ships.

• Like 1