STRAWS?

Cruisegirl6

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Who disposes of straws improperly on the ship? Are you seeing people toss straws into the ocean off of carnival ships? Carnival is the one disposing of them. They're only interested in this because it would save them money if people didn't use straws.

Pennies become dollars easily.

• Like 1

Saint Greg- That is a good question, because I not understanding how the straws get into the ocean, from what I know, people throw them in the ocean and nobody on the ship is doing that, its from people on the beach and such that do that.  I also question whether the others are saying Carnival is dumping the straws in the ocean???

I have seen the stainless steel straws online, you can buy them at amazon, but I not going to carry a straw with me on a ship then clean it every time and I don't carry a purse on a ship so there is no place to keep it.  Its great for those who want to do that!

I like straws because you ever go into a bar and see how many people are handling those glasses especially touching them at the rim where you put your lips on! 😱

Edited by Cruisegirl6
  • Like 1

Just now, scpirate said:

Pennies become dollars easily.

Exactly. From the carnival perspective it’s all about money. I just want one of the environmental people on here to tell me how my straw from the alchemy bar ends up in the ocean. Not having much luck. 

• Thanks 1

Don't ban straws ban the water plastic bottles that are so huge compared to a straw and ban plastic cups!   When they stop using the large plastic bottles and plastic cups then I can understand banning the plastic straw....I will continue to use the straw, its more a sanitary issue for me too.

29 minutes ago, maurinsky said:

My daughter bought me stainless steel straws, they have a carrying case, are easy to wash and make me feel moderately virtuous. 

I was just going to mention that I have purchased stainless steel straws and have some packed for my upcoming cruise. 🙂

17 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I like straws because you ever go into a bar and see how many people are handling those glasses especially touching them at the rim where you put your lips on! 😱

I agree completely.  I don't drink from a straw at home, but when I am eating out, I will always ask for a straw.

1 hour ago, maurinsky said:

My daughter bought me stainless steel straws, they have a carrying case, are easy to wash and make me feel moderately virtuous. 

That must be a nice feeling  🙂. I wonder how much it costs to dig up iron ore, transport it, turn it into steel, transport it,  add chromium to make them stainless,  turn it into straws, transport it from the Chinese factory to your place.  Add the handy carrying case, and cleaning them once in a while.

Without googling to estimate the exact environmental costs, how much is that compared to the amount of plastic used for straws?

One coffee served with a plastic lid on top has more plastic than a 7-day premium beverage package can get you in straws.

The straws would be burned, either on the ship or on land and will never be found again. In 4000 years people will find environmentally friendly stainless steel straws. 

Edited by AmazedByCruising

10 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Are you saying people on the ship are throwing straws into the ocean? Or are you saying carnival is dumping straws into the ocean?

I don't think people deliberately dispose of trash improperly .  Trash does however end up in the ocean. Every cruise I see some trash blow off the deck. Straws included. 

14 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I have to agree with Saint Greg.  If plastic is a problem ,straws certainly contain alot less plastic than plastic cups, plastic water bottles etc.  You still are going to see plastic cups given outdoors on a cruise ship now and they eliminating plastic straws that ridiculous!  

Straws have become the poster child for plastic waste causing significant issues with sea life (and wildlife in general).  Indeed, they probably don't amount to very much, but they are something that can be eliminated with possibly minimal impact to the user (i.e. humans).

Oh, lets not forget.....people are complaining about the plastic but using paper straws what about killing all the trees? Paper straws are five times more expensive to produce than plastic straws so I don't see any savings here for the cruise line.    Lets not forget, paper straws are easier for small animals to swallow too.  

Paper from trees is a relatively renewable resource today - those trees cut down for paper are a crop, like wheat or corn.  The deforestation of the planet is not due to demand for paper, it is due to demand for exotic woods and clearcutting to grow palm oil trees, raise cattle, or other agricultural or mining reasons.  

And paper straws don't last long enough in the water to be nearly the danger that plastic ones are, and even if swallowed are far more likely to be passed/digested.

Then there is the fact that some people need straws to drink because they are unable to life a cup to their mouths?  People with hand and facial nerve damage need straws to drink.  Plastic is much more sturdier than paper.  As for me, I have no medical issue so paper would be fine for me but chances are, the straw get soggy and disform that would mean I would need a second straw so basically using paper in reality, you be using more and causing a larger expense.

Lets face it, straws make up a tiny fraction of whats in the ocean!

\

I suspect, based on my own use and observations of others, that overall straw usage will go down if paper straws are offered, and only when requested, even if some folks will need to use two because they go soggy.  I have had many a glass of water with straw automatically brought to me at dinner in a restaurant and it just sits there the whole meal untouched while I drink beer or wine.  If I do want a drink, I don't use the straw.

What I look forward to are alternative substances like hemp for straws.  Paper-like products made from hemp are generally more resilient, and should last longer than paper in a drink.  "Plastics" made from hemp are even tougher, but biodegrade far faster than petroleum-based plastics.  And hemp is a far better renewable resource than trees for paper.

• Like 1

Oh, one more thing - I had a drink at a beach-bar a few weeks ago, and the straw was dried pasta!  It lasted the whole drink without getting the slightest bit soggy (need hot/boiling water for that to happen in any useful time), and it obviously much more wild-life friendly - it will eventually get soggy even in cold water and turn into fishfood.  Probably far more expensive than a regular plastic straw (I found them on Amazon, $75 for 1000, so 7.5 cents each), but I suspect the bar was ok in absorbing that cost in their $8 pina colada.

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I suspect, based on my own use and observations of others, that overall straw usage will go down if paper straws are offered, and only when requested, even if some folks will need to use two because they go soggy.  I have had many a glass of water with straw automatically brought to me at dinner in a restaurant and it just sits there the whole meal untouched while I drink beer or wine.  If I do want a drink, I don't use the straw.

Just making straws in general optional reduces their use and waste. I personally don't need or really care for a straw unless is a frozen drink, but my DH likes to have a straw with any drink with ice in it, so now by not just automatically giving both of us straws, they don't waste the one I'm most likely not going to use.

15 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Why does anyone need a straw to sip liquor on the rocks? Heavy lipstick?

I guess that was my point (abet poorly explained) - we even got straws even if we didn't actually need them.  Of course we got them too in our Rum Punches.🥤:classic_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SeaScout said:

I don't think people deliberately dispose of trash improperly .  Trash does however end up in the ocean. Every cruise I see some trash blow off the deck. Straws included. 

Does the entire glass blow off the deck and into the ocean or do the straws blow out of the glasses and into the ocean? If this does happen carnival needs to be better about the people who are supposed to be picking those up. I have never personally seen this happen.  I always return my empty glasses to the bar.

Edited by Saint Greg

Speaking of disposable paper products, what about toiletries?  Are any provided in the rooms?  Specifically toilet paper?  Are passengers with hemorrhoids allowed to bring their own medicated toilet paper?   :classic_sad: 

Is bleach made avaialble in the cabins by request?

Sail hard, gang!!  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Salt Wind

5 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Oh, one more thing - I had a drink at a beach-bar a few weeks ago, and the straw was dried pasta!  It lasted the whole drink without getting the slightest bit soggy (need hot/boiling water for that to happen in any useful time), and it obviously much more wild-life friendly - it will eventually get soggy even in cold water and turn into fishfood.  Probably far more expensive than a regular plastic straw (I found them on Amazon, $75 for 1000, so 7.5 cents each), but I suspect the bar was ok in absorbing that cost in their $8 pina colada.

Does anyone else remember using twizzlers as straws as a kid 😄 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coevan said:

so the straws blow over a 4' deck rail?

That's a good question . Actually they do along with several other items like napkins and so forth easily get caught up in the wind that blast across several areas of the ship.  People just leave their plates and walk away on the exterior tables on the Fantasy class ships.  One of my biggest concerns with Carnival is a lack of staff members cleaning those tables.   Several times over have I bussed my own table just so my family had a place to sit.

It was so bad on one cruise I started taking pictures of all the dirty tables.  I was amazed of how fast the staff started cleaning those tables when they noticed me taking pictures.