Newbie. Advice Please

Hedgehog195

Hi Everyone,

I have been wanting to try cruising for a long time. However, its  very overwhelming the amount of Ships, destinations and durations available. Fly/Cruise or just Cruise....

I am a widow, early sixties and  very active. I cannot decide what is best for me. Dedicated Singles Cruises fill me with anxiety, and most Cruise lines charge so much for a Solo Traveller. 

Some Friends that know tell me to start off with a short trip close to home (UK). Others say try a "round the world" trip........ Personally I would love to see Alaska.

Sharing a room to reduce price is not an option. I don't know whether to go with a small, more personal Company or one of the big Ships. 

So  confused,  where shall I start. 

Many thanks

Although it might be a good idea to take your first cruise from UK to Norway (thinking that the scenery might suit you) just to get the feel for it.  Definitely go where you want to go which is to Alaska, it is beyond beautiful.

Personally I would look at Norwegian Cruise Line because they have single rooms.  They have a special 'solos' area but I am sure that you can join in as much or little as you like.  Somebody may be able to update me, but I think the smaller groups tend to be more expensive.  

I am married but I have travelled alone and my daughters who are in their 20's have both travelled alone and love it, at first you might feel anxious but on the ship take a book and binoculars to look up or down as you feel fit.  My husband often prefers to sit in our room and I go up on deck and enjoy the view.  I might look like a solo or I might look like one of a couple enjoying the fresh air.  On a cruise you can eat alone or perhaps you will find a group that you want to sit with.  If there are Americans on your ship you will probably find them more ready to start a conversation than us Brits!!  In my experience they start with "where do you come from?' and it is as easy as that.  

When in port you do not have to take ship tours, but you do need to do a bit of homework to find out the best way around.  My favourite hobby is reading other peoples reviews and blogs, it really helps you to learn about the options. 

Good luck and don't feel anxious - cruise critic is a good place to come and ask questions.  

• Like 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  I’m afraid I can’t add a lot to the conversation but I did want to share our very first experience.  We went on a 3 night trip and there were some bad things that happened like rough seas and literally having to crash land the airplane on the return flight.  After 30 something cruises I can tell you that had I let that first trip negativity influence my opinion of cruising we likely never would have gone again.  Have fun and leave your unrealistic expectations at home. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much Ollienbertsmum, I will have a look at NCL and Norway. It does  makes sense to start  off with a short trip. 

I am very conscious of the fact that I am single and not looking for a partner, so reading your reply makes me feel better. 

Everyone has their own favourite Company and Cunard keeps coming up in conversation but again it's down to price. 

Have you been on any of the RTW trips?

Thanks 

I don't know where you're based in the UK, but there are smaller ships such as Fred Olsen and Cruise and Maritime going out of various ports such as Newcastle or Edinburgh to Norway,  which sometimes have special offers for single cruisers. There's single cabins on P&O's Azura, Ventura and Britannia.

Marella (used to be Thomson ) are all inclusive- no tipping; P&O goes tip free in May.

Most of these lines also do short cruises, mainly out of Southampton, but sometimes from Liverpool to Dublin, which are handy for "taster" cruises.

Also, C&M have non-sailing nights in London, where you pay less than £100 for dinner, a show and B&B- now that's a real taster for you!  😄

• Like 1

Agree with Jocap and suggest trying a shorter cruise. If you have never cruised, I would be reluctant to opt for a 4 to 6 month World Cruise.

Once you determine you enjoy cruising and have a preference for smaller ships or mega ships, you could consider a World Cruise.

• Like 2

I  have never been on a round the world, I am not sure that I would want to either.   I dont even fancy crossing the atlantic, I find the days at sea boring.  I go on a cruise to see places.  

Jocap's ideas are good.  I think as a single female you might like an all-inclusive that includes a beverage package.  You would not have to worry about buying 'rounds' because everyone has their own card and everything you drink has already been paid for.   Having other people buy you a drink could be really awkward - do you stay and talk to them or do you go???  Maybe you like to chat but maybe all you wanted was your drink.   When I have travelled alone,  I find that 'buying drinks' thing really awkward to be honest.   

Not sure if it does have a drinks package, but  I have just received an email from an agent I have used showing a small ship Magellan from Tilbury going to Norway on 13th April for 7 days.  I wish I hadn't because that is a cruise I would have loved - spending my 60th birthday in Bergen, but it is Easter and so does not suit us.  It advertises singles for just under £1000.  Whilst the advertised price is always less than the price you actually pay (!) I thought it was a good deal.  It won't be warm but I am pretty sure that you will see some great scenery.  

Of course being single does not mean that you have to be looking for a partner.   That is an outdated concept.  Go girl and just enjoy yourself !!

Edited by ollienbertsmum
  • Like 2

Morning everyone

Wow thank you all so much much. Lots of great ideas that I need to digest. Like the smaller ships, and solo prices. The all inclusive suggestion which I didn't know about but makes a lot of sense now.  I assumed I had to go with the huge  well known Companies.  Not heard of Maritime Voyages,  I  need to spend a few hours on this....

You have all given me confidence to just book one and go. Now I am excited!

Thank you again, if my fellow Passengers are as nice as you guys I will have a great time.

• Like 1

You just need to start thinking about the cost like this...the CABIN is double the "per person" price.....I don't know why they don't just show the price of each cabin and say "for up to 2 persons"!  It would avoid confusion and the feeling of overpaying!

Having a cabin to yourself will be great....the cabins are not the size of hotel rooms, unless you  book suites!

Not always, CB- there are genuine offers out there.

Cruise and Maritime has offers of 50% off the double prices; Fred Olsen has single prices on a few cruises this year- and there will be more!

Hedgehog ( I've just been feeding a hedgehog which wanders about the garden at this time each evening- no hibernation yet...), this is an example I've found:

Fred Olsen, Black Watch out of Liverpool to the Scottish Isles, May 29th 2019 This includes EITHER Free drinks and tips ( for 2 people)

OR

No single supplement.

And there are more on their page.

Keep searching, and enjoy the hunt!

If you don't mind a small ship with more limited amenities, and the probable likelihood of a majority passengers not speaking english, Ponant has many cruises (mainly repos) that do not charge any single supplements.  They're not cheap on a per diem basis but there are no additional gratuities, and offer complimentary internet and open bar.  hat has to be worth at least $70-80/day over a normal cruise line.

8 hours ago, cb at sea said:

You just need to start thinking about the cost like this...the CABIN is double the "per person" price.....I don't know why they don't just show the price of each cabin and say "for up to 2 persons"!  It would avoid confusion and the feeling of overpaying!

Having a cabin to yourself will be great....the cabins are not the size of hotel rooms, unless you  book suites!

Yet again you provide erroneous information. My dad has cruised many times with Fred Olsen as a single and never pays double.

• Like 1

Thank you Jocap, Heidi13, Cruising Cockroach, CB at sea . Your advice is invaluable. Spoilt for choice. I don't feel so depressed about the Single Supplement now. Ponant sounds Interesting, not at all  bothered about foreign voices it's interesting.  Starting to think a smaller ship is the best way to ease myself into cruising......

Thanks again and I will be back boring you with more questions ...........

I adore hedgehogs, they are all asleep now here in the cold icy UK. 

5 hours ago, Hedgehog195 said:

Thank you Jocap, Heidi13, Cruising Cockroach, CB at sea . Your advice is invaluable. Spoilt for choice. I don't feel so depressed about the Single Supplement now. Ponant sounds Interesting, not at all  bothered about foreign voices it's interesting.  Starting to think a smaller ship is the best way to ease myself into cruising......

If you want to try Ponant, there is a Honolulu-Maizuru (Kyoto) sailing in very early April.  Not the cheapest though at nearly €200 per day (we booked it at ~USD 1,800 when it was being cleared out through the take-away cruise site). 

There are also cheap premium-cabin BA flights to HNL (with AA).  You can fly back to Honolulu from Kyoto or Tokyo (Narita) or take a repo cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver. A CCer (also a single woman in your demographic) from my area is doing such a trip.

There are other trans-Atlantic cruises coming up too.

9 hours ago, Hedgehog195 said:

I adore hedgehogs, they are all asleep now here in the cold icy UK. 

Not here in cold Cumbria... I've had as many as 4 an evening this week... I thought I wouldn't have to buy any more hedgehog food until spring, but hibernation hasn't hit them yet!  😮

....  and keep checking the Norway cruises on smaller ships (like Fred Olsen or Cruise and Maritime) that go from the UK - Newcastle or Tilbury I think.   Given that you referred to Alaska, I am sure that the scenery would suit you.    I discussed with a travel agent and one of the good points of the smaller ships is that they can dock in places that the big ships cannot reach.  That scenery!!!!

I am thinking of booking Norway next May so I need to share the Norwegian joy.  I keep humming Norwegian Wood but husband does not know yet, he can only cope with knowing about one cruise at a time.  

• Like 1

Hedgehog I have taken my own advice and booked a June 2020 cruise to Norway on P and O Iona.  I was getting good prices and I spotted an aft cabin (at the back) so I will get almost 180 views from my balcony.  

Booking early may not save me money in the long run, but it looks as if balcony cabins are closer in price to Ocean Views which means that it makes sense to book it.    

When I was making a comparison between Inside/Oceanview/Balcony for my September Greek Island cruises, the cost of the balcony added £800 to the 7 day cruise.  I thought that I could do quite a lot with over £100 a day.  

I am glad that I answered your query because it made me realise that actually I do want to go to Norway.  

• Like 1

How exciting!!! I love how you just went ahead and booked. I am still dithering about the Alaska cruise, but currently two members of my family are sick so not so sure of dates. Your Cruise sounds amazing though, and the Greek Islands in September. So envious....

On 1/24/2019 at 10:30 AM, Hedgehog195 said:

most Cruise lines charge so much for a Solo Traveller. 

If cost is any concern the biggest thing you can do is go when kids are in school - the cruise will be cheaper and also less kids running around...

• 3 weeks later...