Food Improvement

nukesubsailor

4 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I dislike Curtis Stone's style of cooking and hated the Share restaurant. I am hoping the new menu has more appealing options like everyone else.

So replacing the entrees from Curtis Stone, what food would you like to see on the menu, or eat?

King

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 8:27 PM, #1Nanna said:

Sounds great! When is this changed menu coming?

I got an email saying it was all overhauled....but it didn't get a launch date and it didn't say if it was going to be launched on all the ships at the same time.

7 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

I tried the Curtis Stone chicken pot pie.  Once.  It was like clear soup with a mealy bread crust on top.  Curtis Stone isn't a chef; he's a jumped-up line cook who sells kitchen gadgets and has bamboozled Princess execs into thinking they've hired a young Julia Child or Paul Bocuse.  One could pity and mock their error if one weren't being victimized by seeing more and more Stone dishes encroach upon the menu.  The madness must end!

Bread crust?   That’s unusual.  Are you certain your Chicken Pot Pie had a mealy bread crust on top?  My pot  pie had a flaky pie crust on top.  As it is usually  made..

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I tried the Curtis Stone chicken pot pie.  Once.  It was like clear soup with a mealy bread crust on top.  Curtis Stone isn't a chef; he's a jumped-up line cook who sells kitchen gadgets and has bamboozled Princess execs into thinking they've hired a young Julia Child or Paul Bocuse.  One could pity and mock their error if one weren't being victimized by seeing more and more Stone dishes encroach upon the menu.  The madness must end!

Even worse, he's the main man for advertising for a major supermarket chain in Australia. Known for $10 meal deals for a family of four. 🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

47 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Bread crust?   That’s unusual.  Are you certain your Chicken Pot Pie had a mealy bread crust on top?  My pot  pie had a flaky pie crust on top.  As it is usually  made..

King

47 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Bread crust?   That’s unusual.  Are you certain your Chicken Pot Pie had a mealy bread crust on top?  My pot pie had a flaky pie crust..  As it is usually  made.. with lots of vegetables, creamy sauce, and chunks of chicken.   Maybe you had it on a off night.

0DF4C2A1-4A59-4B39-9A5F-FF081A0E1CD4_zps

Edited by Kingofcool1947

The first time I ordered the pot pie was on the Royal TA last fall.  It had about 1/4c of filling.  When our waiter saw it he got me another one that was filled properly with the delicious chicken tarragon mixture.  I hope it's still on the menu on our Grand Mexican Riviera cruise in March.

Looks like a lot of people have a problem with the food, although maybe skewed by the fact that people who are happy don't tend to post about it. Is it possible to order something not on the menu? Like a plain chicken breast with steamed vegetables?

1 hour ago, FritzG said:

The first time I ordered the pot pie was on the Royal TA last fall.  It had about 1/4c of filling.  When our waiter saw it he got me another one that was filled properly with the delicious chicken tarragon mixture.  I hope it's still on the menu on our Grand Mexican Riviera cruise in March.

It was on the Grand Mexican Riviera cruise last month.

The Chicken Pot Pie was delicious..  But as others have said, the food can be hit or miss.  My solution is to order another one.  :classic_smile:

Good luck.  And enjoy your cruise.

King

I have 214 days and nights on Princess.  My last cruise ended two weeks ago,  a 14 dayer to South America was delightful.  BUT.

The decline in food QUALITY has very slowly deteriorated over the past ten years.  In addition subtle changes in my favorite recipes have been killers.  Who decided to change the Escargot in butter and garlic to something that resembles dog food? 

(Whoops, a little bit harsh)

We do not cruise to eat, nor do I want to get my moneys worth in food.  I believe the service is the same, always professional and caring.  The Horizon Court provides enough choices that I will not starve to death.  And excellent service.

Nonetheless I can not offer suggestions to improve the quality of the food without increasing the cost of food.  Thus the paradox.

• Like 1

Only sailed on Oceania one time. My opinion was the food was excellent. Just twice the cost of Princess. I should mention my father actually did not think it was much better. 

I would love to see the food improve, but I do understand the constraints Princess operates under pricewise, and of course the enjoyment of food is   sosubjective.

My only observation (complaint) is why can the food be so good one cruise, and considerably less good the next cruise? I think that is where Princess should focus its efforts. Is it getting fresh supplies? Is it the Head Chef on board each ship? Or is it something else? Consistency would be nice.

Edited by RMMariner
  • Like 1

Was on the Grand Jan 7- 17th. The food in MDR was okay, better than last year.  Nothing spectacular,  The lobster (very, very small) was tough, the risotto was not good.  Soem nights the food was exceptional and some nights not so much. The new menu in Sebatini's was fabulous.  Every item we had was super and the service was friendly and very good.  It was definitely a major improvement.  The Trident grill was every good also, hamburgers were not over cooked.  Food is very subjective.  I do not usually complain.  MDR was okay but not up to par as previous sailings on Princess. Overall, I do not have any major complaints about the food on any Princess ship.  It is impossible to please everyone's taste buds.  There are so many dining options I am sure one can find something they like to eat. Why find something to complain about when you are on a vacation? 

12 hours ago, bbangel74 said:

Looks like a lot of people have a problem with the food, although maybe skewed by the fact that people who are happy don't tend to post about it. Is it possible to order something not on the menu? Like a plain chicken breast with steamed vegetables?

That is on the always available menu.  Enjoy.

11 hours ago, FritzG said:

Sounds like Princess has more of a problem with consistent execution of the recipes. Could be staff turnover, poor training, language/cultural differences.

4 hours ago, RMMariner said:

My only observation (complaint) is why can the food be so good one cruise, and considerably less good the next cruise? I think that is where Princess should focus its efforts. Is it getting fresh supplies? Is it the Head Chef on board each ship? Or is it something else? Consistency would be nice.

I agree, each ship seems to have some differences, even though the menus are essentially the same.

Each ship has an Executive Chef onboard, who should be maintaining the quality and consistency of the meals in all restaurants, but that doesn't always happen. Perhaps Princess needs to train up a few "secret diners' and send them on all the ships to randomly check the quality. I'd volunteer! They wouldn't even have to pay me - just give me a free cruise with a drinks package. 🤣🤣🤣

I have been very pleased with our food on Princess. My man and I also live in SF and we cook a lot and are fussy about food-and have always been satisfied by Princess especially the prime rib, the Crown Grill (quite literally best ribeye I have eaten in my life and I grew up on a dairy farm) pizza, pastas, sorbets, desserts, pastries/bread, international cafe, lamb chops etc. I personally have never found the seafood on princess edible (except for shrimp) but that’s because I am originally from the Midwest and seafood was an acquired taste to begin with, so if it’s the least bit fishy tasting it makes me nauseated. My man and his family, including his parents who have done dozens of Princess cruises also have no issues. I have my fresh seafood in Florida before and after the cruise and order something else on seafood nights. 

Truly I really need to eat *less* on cruises. In our case we don’t plan to eat in MDR as much this trip, opting for burgers/pizza at MUTS Or a salad at HC. 

Does anyone have current menus for the regal? We’d like to pick our crown grill night, usually italian night.