Food Improvement

nukesubsailor

23 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

If you look at the financial filings all of the Carnival owned lines average around $12 per day per passenger for food.  NCLH and RCL are similar.  

That’s about right, first time I saw it I was, “what is that all”

but do you spend much more at home. That’s $140 per week for a couple, just on food, not the other groceries, and doesn’t take into account the discounts for bulk that cruise companies would get.

Princess is like any other corporation. Prices will increase, quality/service will decline to the point where PROFITS are effected. If they cut costs 5%, and they only lose 2% due to lost customers, they'll do that all day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MTJSR said:

IMG_7242.thumb.jpeg.381147cd17bedc8dd2568b30e84d3c64.jpeg

Here is an example of too many odd/strange concoctions, and none ordered of these at our table of eight on the Emerald were liked by anyone. Lobster 3 ways was a complete joke. A crawdad over gooey weird tasting rice and a drizzle of lobster? sauce. 

I would be happier with spaghetti and meatballs than worthless unmemorable swill. If the  kind cruising I have invested in over the years is no longer, I've cruised my last time with Princess.

I look at this menu and none of it looks "odd" to me. Then again, I live in the San Francisco area - which is well known for its food, and has many of the world's top restaurants. I've dined at many of them.

There is a certain style of language used in fine dining, and this menu appears to be modeling those of high end restaurants. They're trying to give a feel of luxury. I can't say if any of these taste good, since I haven't tried them yet. But they look appealing to me. 

Perhaps for some people dishes like "spaghetti and meatballs" are safe and familiar. Something like what's on this menu may not be easily accessible back home, so it may come across as "strange" or somehow unappealing, and they bristle against it. In America we have a bad habit of "Americanizing" ethnic cuisine. Italian, Mexican and Chinese food are prime examples of foods that aren't at all authentic (or even close). 

For others, dishes like spaghetti and meatballs are boring and uninspired. Why spend all that money on vacation to eat basic foods I can easily make/enjoy at home, or order from many inexpensive restaurants? Traveling is an adventure, and for many, like myself, trying new and creative foods is part of that adventure. When I cruise Princess I want a classy, luxurious atmosphere. Not my local Applebee's. 

Besides, there's always basic comfort foods in the buffet or the burger/pizza grill or from room service or elsewhere. There are also some basic dishes on the "always available menus". If you're not an adventurous eater, don't demand that choice be denied to others who are, when you have other options.

Or, expand your horizons and discover something new! 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

When I cruise Princess I want a classy, luxurious atmosphere. Not my local Applebee's. 

The post had two points, the poster was at an 8 top and none of the 8 enjoyed the meal. The reason is not the issue for this complaint. The MDR is to have menus that satisfy ALL PAX. In media the term is middle of the road. The reasons were menu was not appealing OR poor quality for several causes. 

We used to view the entire cruise's menus on the first day to decide which nights to book specialty. As I understand it, this can not be done now. There is now just a few hours to change plans once the day's menu is found. Bottom line, they can serve King Crab Margaritas or Tenderloin Tartare, if the base products are of poor quality or improperly handled, the end dish is not what it could be. Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it tastes good.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:53 PM, Potstech said:

I hope they just get rid of Curtis all together.  Nether DW or I have liked any of his items.

Just back from 10 day Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Grand..  Not much change in the quality of the cuisine.  Still Nothing  to rave about.  Mostly sub par.  Even with deletions and additions to the daily menu it is still a  boring and unimaginative menu.  :classic_mellow:  

I hope they keep Curtis Stone entrees for those of us more adventurous types. 🙂

King 

Edited by Kingofcool1947

44 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Just back from 10 day Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Grand..  Not much change in the quality of the cuisine.  Still Nothing  to rave about.  Mostly sub par.  Even with deletions and additions to the daily menu it is still a  boring and unimaginative menu.  :classic_mellow:  

I hope they keep Curtis Stone entrees for those of us more adventurous types. 🙂

King 

Lobster tail on lemon-arugula risotto, butter sauce.  About a 3 inch tail.  Lobster  was overcooked. And tough.  The risotto was quite creamy and with good flavor.

3FA59504-74C8-45E4-BE2A-537F5A8C5A9D_zps

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Just now, Kingofcool1947 said:

Lobster tail on lemon-arugula risotto, butter sauce.  About a 3 inch tail.  Lobster  was overcooked. And tough.  The risotto was quite creamy and with good flavor.

3FA59504-74C8-45E4-BE2A-537F5A8C5A9D_zps

You must have caught them on a bad night. Ours & everyone's around us last night was fine with no complaints. 

Edited by floridalover5623

8 hours ago, jlp20 said:

The post had two points, the poster was at an 8 top and none of the 8 enjoyed the meal. The reason is not the issue for this complaint. The MDR is to have menus that satisfy ALL PAX. In media the term is middle of the road. The reasons were menu was not appealing OR poor quality for several causes. 

We used to view the entire cruise's menus on the first day to decide which nights to book specialty. As I understand it, this can not be done now. There is now just a few hours to change plans once the day's menu is found. Bottom line, they can serve King Crab Margaritas or Tenderloin Tartare, if the base products are of poor quality or improperly handled, the end dish is not what it could be. Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it tastes good.

Not everything has to be "middle of the road". And as I stated, there ARE plenty of "basic" options still available to appeal to those that are intimidated by such a menu. Having "fancy" options and basic options - like Princess is doing - IS appealing to a broader clientele.

Also, the poster made a point to call it "odd/strange concoctions", and my point is that for someone with fine dining experience, none of that is even the tiniest bit odd. The postee called the risotto "gooey weird tasting rice" - and it makes me wonder how much exposure to risotto they've ever had. For someone that's accustomed to Uncle Ben's sticky rice, risotto may seem strange. But that doesn't mean it actually is strange. 

Maybe the food isn't good, and that is certainly a big issue. But a table of 8 is hardly an indictment on the whole menu. Plus, who is to say the poster isn't exaggerating how his table mates felt about the food because of his own feelings about the menu? I'll wait until a lot more people have reported back, OR I have been able to try it myself hopefully later this year.

Edited by Dani24
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

Not everything has to be "middle of the road". And as I stated, there ARE plenty of "basic" options still available to appeal to those that are intimidated by such a menu. Having "fancy" options and basic options - like Princess is doing - IS appealing to a broader clientele.

Also, the poster made a point to call it "odd/strange concoctions", and my point is that for someone with fine dining be experience, none of that is even the tiniest bit odd. They called the risotto "gooey weird tasting rice" - and it makes me wonder how much exposure to risotto they've ever had. For someone that's accustomed to Uncle Ben's sticky rice, risotto may seem strange. But that doesn't mean it actually is strange. 

Maybe the food isn't good, and that is certainly a big issue. But a table of 8 is hardly an indictment on the whole menu. Plus, who is to say the poster isn't exaggerating how his table mates felt about the food because of his own feelings about the menu? I'll wait until a lot more people have reported back, OR I have been able to try it myself hopefully later this year.

Agree with you..  since food/cusine is subjective.   Maybe Princess catering to PAXs  accustomed to “middle of the road ordinary” cusine?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

9 hours ago, Dani24 said:

I look at this menu and none of it looks "odd" to me. Then again, I live in the San Francisco area - which is well known for its food, and has many of the world's top restaurants. I've dined at many of them.

There is a certain style of language used in fine dining, and this menu appears to be modeling those of high end restaurants. They're trying to give a feel of luxury. I can't say if any of these taste good, since I haven't tried them yet. But they look appealing to me. 

Perhaps for some people dishes like "spaghetti and meatballs" are safe and familiar. Something like what's on this menu may not be easily accessible back home, so it may come across as "strange" or somehow unappealing, and they bristle against it. In America we have a bad habit of "Americanizing" ethnic cuisine. Italian, Mexican and Chinese food are prime examples of foods that aren't at all authentic (or even close). 

For others, dishes like spaghetti and meatballs are boring and uninspired. Why spend all that money on vacation to eat basic foods I can easily make/enjoy at home, or order from many inexpensive restaurants? Traveling is an adventure, and for many, like myself, trying new and creative foods is part of that adventure. When I cruise Princess I want a classy, luxurious atmosphere. Not my local Applebee's. 

Besides, there's always basic comfort foods in the buffet or the burger/pizza grill or from room service or elsewhere. There are also some basic dishes on the "always available menus". If you're not an adventurous eater, don't demand that choice be denied to others who are, when you have other options.

Or, expand your horizons and discover something new! 

I too live in the San Francisco Bay Area, spent two years in cooking school and ran two restaurants in my earlier years.  My point above was based on the fact that the Crown Grill was booked the entire cruise and it serves the "familiar" as you say. Also the people at my table commented nearly every night that they just wanted "good" food. The items on the menu all sound fancy, however they were mostly not good. The ship was not full of people looking for fancy worded menus, but more "familiar" offerings, which explains why on this cruise most people flooded the buffet every night (familiar but even worse tasting). Our dining room was only 70 percent full each night. Our waiter later in the cruise, whispered to me that very few people like the food.

So to your point "Why spend all that money on vacation to eat basic foods"?  All I can say is, why spend the 8,000 I just did and come home complaining, I just had the worst Princess food I have had in 15 Princess cruises?

Edited by MTJSR

56 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

We originally choose Princess because it was a bit more upscale. We've always enjoyed their food in the past as part of that. I shouldn't have to spend significantly more money to continue having that experience.

If others want basic, no frills American cuisine, maybe THEY should try another line more suited to their style, like Carnival.

True :classic_biggrin: .  Excellent well prepared quality cuisine , presentation, and service does come at a cost.    Demographics of PAXs.  And a matter of their priorities.  For many,  cuisine is not high on their list.  More budget minded?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

23 minutes ago, MTJSR said:

I too live in the San Francisco Bay Area, spent two years in cooking school and ran two restaurants in my earlier years.  My point above was based on the fact that the Crown Grill was booked the entire cruise and it serves the "familiar" as you say. Also the people at my table commented nearly every night that they just wanted "good" food. The items on the menu all sound fancy, however they were mostly not good. The ship was not full of people looking for fancy worded menus, but more "familiar" offerings, which explains why on this cruise most people flooded the buffet every night (familiar but even worse tasting). Our dining room was only 70 percent full each night. Our waiter later in the cruise, whispered to me that very few people like the food.

So to your point "Why spend all that money on vacation to eat basic foods"?  All I can say is, why spend the 8,000 I just did and come home complaining, I just had the worst Princess food I have had in 15 Princess cruises?

So, to compare, what other cruise lines have you sailed on?  And, in your opinion,  was the cuisine better or worse than on Princess?  Your recommendation of a cruise line for PAXs seeking excellent cuisine?  Familiar, and/or creative cuisine?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

14 minutes ago, MTJSR said:

I too live in the San Francisco Bay Area, spent two years in cooking school and ran two restaurants in my earlier years.  My point above was based on the fact that the Crown Grill was booked the entire cruise and it serves the "familiar" as you say. Also the people at my table were commented nearly every night that they just wanted "normal" food. The items on the menu all sound fancy, however they were mostly not good. The ship was not full of people looking for fancy worded menus, but more "familiar" offerings, which explains why on this cruise most people flooded the buffet every night. Our dining room was only 70 percent full each night. Our waiter later in the cruise, whispered to me that very few people like the food.

If the food is in fact not living up to its presentation on the menu, then that is absolutely a problem. But if the food quality is low, it’s going to be bad whether it’s a “fancy” or “basic” sounding menu. Of course, McDonald’s could change their menu to sound like a high end restaurant, but still serve the same disgusting and low quality food (and people would also bristle against that menu too, even if the food was unchanged).

My issue was largely with people thinking the menu looked “odd”. And that spoke to some level about their exposure to diverse and adventurous foods. I know a lot of people like this, who get intimidated when something sounds “fancy” or “gourmet”, and think the food tastes bad or “weird” when I’m right next to them enjoying every bite of the same food. 

Edited by Dani24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

If the food is in fact not living up to its presentation on the menu, then that is absolutely a problem. But if the food quality is low, it’s going to be bad whether it’s a “fancy” or “basic” sounding menu. Of course, McDonald’s could change their menu to sound like a high end restaurant, but still serve the same disgusting and low quality food (and people would also bristle against that menu too, even if the food was unchanged).

My issue was largely with people thinking the menu looked “odd”. And that spoke to some level about their exposure to diverse and adventurous foods. I know a lot of people like this, who get intimidated when something sounds “fancy” or “gourmet”, and think the food tastes bad or “weird” when I’m right next to them enjoying every bite of the same food. 

Agree with you.  A sophisticated palate?  Exposure to diverse and adventurous cusine?  Maybe not.  Could be those kind of PAXs use to the familiar and ordinary cusine of simple meat and potatoes type of food?  

“Safe.”

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

It’s disappointing to be eagerly looking forward to our upcoming cruise and reading that the food will border on inedible. 

Regardless of how imaginative or how mediocre the menu is, I want to be satisfied with my meals. Most if the posts on this thread seem to indicate the opposite. 

Maybe we should all just cancel our bookings?

Interestingly, I just received an email from Princess this morning about the launch of their new menu. While it doesn’t give any dates, I would imagine it’s in the process of rolling out fleetwide. 

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

It’s disappointing to be eagerly looking forward to our upcoming cruise and reading that the food will border on inedible. 

Regardless of how imaginative or how mediocre the menu is, I want to be satisfied with my meals. Most if the posts on this thread seem to indicate the opposite. 

Maybe we should all just cancel our bookings?

Just, who is “all’?  Or are you speaking for yourself?  :classic_laugh:

Food quality and diversity of cuisine, is of course, subjective.  You know that.

I may be disappointed at the quality of food and menu, but you may rave about it.  It can be a hit or a miss.  Just like your overall  cruise experience.

“One person’s food is another person’s poison.”   :classic_biggrin: 

Good luck.  And enjoy your cruise.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Just, who is “all’?  Or are you speaking for yourself?  :classic_laugh:

Food quality and diversity of cuisine, is of course, subjective.  You know that.

I may be disappointed at the quality of food and menu, but you may rave about it.  It can be a hit or a miss.  Just like your overall  cruise experience.

“One person’s food is another person’s poison.”   :classic_biggrin: 

Good luck.  And enjoy your cruise.

King

I was being sarcastic, Or trying to!

I look forward to my cruises too much to ever cancel. 

I have noticed less money being spent on food, but every cruise line gets the same complaints. 

I see people complain about the food on Coral. 

We found the food on Coral in the MDR to be the best we’ve had on any ship or cruise line in several years. 

It definitely is subjective. 

It’s just that I get tired of people talking about how dreadful the food is. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, cheezenip said:

The thing that stood out the most was the dishes were saltier (i.e., mask the decline in food quality by adding salt).

This!  Everything was salted to death on our Island Princess cruise a few weeks ago. 

3 hours ago, Dani24 said:

Interestingly, I just received an email from Princess this morning about the launch of their new menu. While it doesn’t give any dates, I would imagine it’s in the process of rolling out fleetwide. 

Just received the email & here are the chefs responsible for the menu changes.  I find it interesting that their Master Chef Alfredo Marzi isn’t mentioned. 🤔

Discover our menu — reimagined by Chef Pierre-Marie Leprince. Chef Leprince worked alongside our prestigious culinary team, in addition to our celebrity partner chefs Curtis Stone and Ernesto Uchimura. Sail with us and savor top-quality restaurant dishes from culinary experts included in your cruise fare.

All of these are probably quality chefs however how their dishes are prepared onboard with lower quality ingredients can result in less desirable food as has been described by some recent passengers.  Taste is very subjective but I haven’t been impressed with their celebrity chefs food.  However there’s a big difference between creating freshly prepared food for a few people in a restaurant & for thousands of people on a cruise ship.  If they gave their Master Chef Alfredo Marzi sufficient funds he could create quality cruise food for many passengers...just like he did years ago.  To me any drop in quality is less about the chef who’s creating the menus & is more about having reduced funds with possibly less experienced cooks.

I’ve read posts that on other mass market cruise lines there are similar complaints about food.  It’s impossible to have a consensus but I’ll soon be able to formulate my own opinions about the current state of Princess food with or without the new menus they’re touting.