Can you leave luggage at the pier?

CruzLuverFromCT

17 minutes ago, CruzLuverFromCT said:

Will be cruising from of Miami - Our return flight isn't until almost 9pm.

We wouldn't mind seeing some sights in Miami, but we don't want to drag luggage.

Is it possible to leave your luggage at the pier and return for it later in the day?

TIA :classic_rolleyes:

Look into taking an after cruise tour of the area, they will take your luggage

Edited by Laszlo

If you take your luggage to the airport and do an early check-in - CHECK with your airline how early you

can do this. But this method limits your available time to tour.

The tour taking your luggage with you is your best option all things being considered.

Another option a short term car rental but this cuts into your optimum free time getting and returning the car.

Side note: Until the government shut-down is over with factor in checking in for your flight earlier than planned.

Not so much the airline baggage but the TSA security process. Darn just had to bring that up - all things considered !

15 hours ago, CruzLuverFromCT said:

Will be cruising from of Miami - Our return flight isn't until almost 9pm.

We wouldn't mind seeing some sights in Miami, but we don't want to drag luggage.

Is it possible to leave your luggage at the pier and return for it later in the day?

TIA :classic_rolleyes:

We were in the same situation a couple years ago.    We ended up taking a tour to the Everglades complete with a air boat cruise.   Unfortunately we still ended up at the airport by 2PM.   We considered using their luggage storage facilities for our carry on luggage  at the airport (across from Jimmy Buffet's) so that we could shuttle to a nearby mall but just decided to hang on in the airport.    The storage cost as more than it would have been to pay for checking in the luggage as we did with our larger pieces.   It was fun to observe that the airline moved our gate 3 times over a 6 hour window.

There are also city tours you can arrange that burn some of those hours.    

Another option, as previously mentioned, is to pick up a rental car and drop it off at the airport.   Then you can tour the city as much as you want and dare.   Just ensure you rental can hide your all our luggage in the trunk.    There are rental companies within walking distance to the pier.

My parents tell me that other cruise lines allow you to check your luggage onboard and for a fee it's processed all the way to your home airport (including customs if needed) so you don't have to see it it until you get to baggage claim at home.  Does NCL not offer this?

I'm kind of in a similar situation but on a different cruise.  I'm going to be on a cruise ending in Vancouver but my flight home isn't until 11 PM, there's a tour I'm considering but if I have the tour drop me off at the airport I'll be spending quite a few hours in the terminal (I'll even end up there before I can check in with the airline).  The tour will handle my luggage for me but if I'm not getting dropped off at the airport I'll still need to wrangle it until I go to the airport.

In the case of Vancouver - I have a backup plan as there's a service at the cruise port that will transfer my luggage to the airport, for me to then pick up and check with the airline when I check in.

2 hours ago, hallux said:

My parents tell me that other cruise lines allow you to check your luggage onboard and for a fee it's processed all the way to your home airport (including customs if needed) so you don't have to see it it until you get to baggage claim at home.  Does NCL not offer this?

I'm kind of in a similar situation but on a different cruise.  I'm going to be on a cruise ending in Vancouver but my flight home isn't until 11 PM, there's a tour I'm considering but if I have the tour drop me off at the airport I'll be spending quite a few hours in the terminal (I'll even end up there before I can check in with the airline).  The tour will handle my luggage for me but if I'm not getting dropped off at the airport I'll still need to wrangle it until I go to the airport.

In the case of Vancouver - I have a backup plan as there's a service at the cruise port that will transfer my luggage to the airport, for me to then pick up and check with the airline when I check in.

I think the luxury lines might have that program.

52 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I think the luxury lines might have that program.

I understand this to mean NCL doesn't offer this?  Guess I'll have to check my bag at the pier with the company that will transfer it to the airport...

They usually cruise with Princess.

16 minutes ago, Battle Bots said:

It does not limit anything.  It is the same amount of time to check in to your flight and check your bags whether you do it right after getting off of the ship or later in the day.  If there is any difference it would be related to the number of fellow passengers who happen to be checking in at the same time as you are.

I disagree with your thinking on this:

If you go to the airport and check in your luggage and then go on a tour - you will have to come back to the airport

to go thru security - yes the total time checking in and going thru TSA security is the same - but you have mismanaged

the time returning back to the airport the second time -----

If you rent-a-car you have to go and pick-it up and return it time lost there also -----

The best scenario is to take the tour and then go to the airport once - best use maximum time available ----- 

7 hours ago, hallux said:

Yes, this is called EZ check.  It is usually available for a small fee (about $25 I believe)  per person  on the ship.  It is only for checked bags and not all airlines participate.  You can find out once you're on the ship.  If eligible, you have to usually sign up early on in the cruise, and they will process your check in and take your checked bags the night before the cruise ends, and you will see them again at your home airport.