X cruiser sails Azamara to Cuba Jan 15 to 24 2019

Bimmer09

Every day that I read your posts, geting more excited about our first Azamara cruise, thank you for posting!  

Ps- we will be in the cabin next to yours (the little one, not the big one) and are also going to Cuba, so its like we left a couple weeks early...

Cheers,

• Like 1

It appears I ate some of the food I photographed

46136056425_2ab1e46354_b.jpg

I see Brie and leek Quiche, some California rolls, prosciutto and salami, shrimp and cocktail sauce, 3 types of Euro cheese, a big slab of delicious pork pate and a round chicken ballotine.

Question is-did I enjoy it?

33174425458_bcfd6b1d3d_b.jpg

Plate #2 after a brief rest

32108073967_b8047134e6_b.jpg

Potatoes for sure, pork medallion, chicken, a roulade of steak, tomatoes and green beans with pearl onions. Yes the plate was cleared.

A wonderful meal. Carol's notes tell me she made the following choices; Danish Blue and Brie cheeses, smoked fish including mackerel, trout, herring and salmon. Shrimp, chicken ballotine,

prosciutto, salami, orzo salad, panzanella salad, fruit salad, French baguette, Brie and leek quiche and steamed vegetables.

Like me-she just couldn't find anything to eat. 

Norris gets his just desserts

46136067625_9e5a166fdf_b.jpg

46325813654_2ce529e751_b.jpg

I fell into a food coma and recall being stretchered out.  The doctor running beside me ordered an "Emergency Guinness- Deck 9". 

and not a moment too soon

46137914325_a055cecd3d_b.jpg

* the orange thing is a little mango slushy which the waiter was handing out. Very refreshing!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
Spelling
  • Like 1

Norris - another interesting, entertaining and insightful report for all of us vicariously experiencing your exciting trip. Thanks for such a fine effort.

And thank you for mentioning "Cuba and the Cameraman", and appreciation to another poster for suggesting "The Cuba Libre Story"; both were extraordinary. 

Enjoy the remainder of your trip and thanks again!

Quotes Per Bimmer09 (not Bummer09 🙂); 

No- but there's a brunch at 10. (she reads The Insider)

seafood

cold meats and pate

Say "cheese"

easy listening music

so elegant, so Azamara

Count me in! We have been mostly Celebrity cruisers but I am ready to try Azmara now.

Thanks Norris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard1s said:

Norris - another interesting, entertaining and insightful report for all of us vicariously experiencing your exciting trip. Thanks for such a fine effort.

And thank you for mentioning "Cuba and the Cameraman", and appreciation to another poster for suggesting "The Cuba Libre Story"; both were extraordinary. 

Enjoy the remainder of your trip and thanks again!

Richard-a new name to me and thanks for being curious enough to click on my thread.

I take it you have read some of my others and hope you will look out for my "Silhouette to the Norwegian Fjords" coming on September 9th or 10th.

Yes those two documentaries were revelatory to us and we enjoyed Havana even more having that much in-depth knowledge about Cuban history. I think our guide, Lauren appreciated our homework and understanding.

The remainder of my trip ( I have been home for 16 days now) I would say is rich in giving more insight into Cuba (away from Havana) and in the Azamara experience, which I had been hoping to try for 4 years or so since I first saw the Journey in Sorrento, which I detailed somewhere in the review so far.

Stay tuned and thank you for your compliments!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
spelling

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

Quotes Per Bimmer09 (not Bummer09 🙂); 

No- but there's a brunch at 10. (she reads The Insider)

seafood

cold meats and pate

Say "cheese"

easy listening music

so elegant, so Azamara

Count me in! We have been mostly Celebrity cruisers but I am ready to try Azmara now.

Thanks Norris

Yoshi, welcome! A new name. Have you had my Silhouette and Reflection reviews? If not I can post the links on here but you won't have time to read them until this is complete. They are very long and detailed.

There is more to say about Azamara and many more photos to come. I've scratched the surface at least.

Keep reading!

Norris

Carol bought an Unlimited Internet Package for $119, I think after we left Havana. She can correct me if not the case. She primarily uses it to download her daily papers; Wall St Journal, New York Times and Chicago Tribune and would download these to her Kindle (or iPad) on our balcony. 10 minutes for all 3.

I could also log in on my laptop or on my phone but had little need to. When I did visit CC the pics took a while to show and I lose interest then. There is nothing I need to see that urgently.

E mail is easier but again nothing I can't live without. I get daily e mails from Cruislines and from Bed Bath and Beyond as I bought something there recently and they shower me with coupons. Change.Org bombards me with petitions to save Gorillas and lower the volume of whistling tea kettles and such.

Today, January 18th is a Sea Day and for a port-lover like me that means a day to (a) be lazy (b) do chores on the computer (photo developing) (c) sit and people-watch with a cold drink and (d) take naps and I did a nice 90 minute one in our clean quiet cabin after my first Guinness of the day.  I had to work up some strength for the Afternoon tea that Carol had ordered from Room Service- you have to place your order and state your time by 11 a.m. Ours would arrive at 4 p.m.

On Princess Afternoon tea is a big deal and is served in 3 places (1) Suites and Elites balconies

(2) one of the dining rooms with a live band and (3) in the Sanctuary which is a restful Shangri-La you pay $30- $40 a day for. It is Tranquility which I don't think any other line offers. Princess do so many things well. On Celebrity a scaled-down version of Afternoon Tea is served in Michael's Club. Anywhere else I don't know (yet). Celebrity makes Suite travel Sweet. A wonderful experience.

The quiet of the Promenade deck was perfect for Carol today. There were only 3 other people out there on the starboard sunny side and they were all doing what Carol was-reading and then napping. The only person not napping was a deck hand, painting parts of the ship. There was always someone painting something. The ship looks good. Not 20 years old.

This pic is to remind Carol

46327697784_7a425fb833_b.jpg

I did take care of a little business -there was a card in our room addressed to me asking me to confirm my reservation for the French Chef's Table that day. Huh? I made no such reservation.

I thought it must be for the lady next door- the lady traveling alone, with the flaming red hair whom I had seen at the Reservations desk they have set up at the entrance to Windows Buffet, talking to the man there.

I am sure the Chef's table is a mind-blowing feast for the senses but I wasn't planning on experiencing one just now. So I made a visit to the Passenger Services desk on deck 4

Hmm. No line

46104239145_c15d0c6a77_b.jpg

There I told a nice young man called Michael of the Invitation and he took care of canceling it.

While there I noticed the Future Cruise Sales office and popped in for a brochure. Might as well.
something to read and give me more insights to Azamara.

33142764908_116251c4f8_b.jpg

also on this floor

Shore Excursions

33142770688_24a337528c_b.jpg

Very nice furniture I must say.

and interesting artworks

47018232621_0c01ea6b83_b.jpg

I tip my hat to the interior designer of the Journey. 

Norris

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

I had to work up some strength for the Afternoon tea that Carol had ordered from Room Service- you have to place your order and state your time by 11 a.m. Ours would arrive at 4 p.m.

I used to have my afternoon tea in the Living room on Quest.

I have also had ‘Elegant Afternoon Tea’ served in Tuscan on Eclipse, but I think that a special was for Elite passengers.

Of course it is also served daily in the Ocean View cafe.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, villauk said:

I’m loving the look of Azamara. The brunch looked divine; I remember when X used to offer this on a sea day :classic_sad:. Looking forward to seeing photos of the cabins. 

I posted pics of our cabin on Embarkation Day, way back in the review.

Norris

I found a short video clip from our brunch...

and I recorded the Captain's and Alicia Hill's noon announcement

These are just to give you more of the flavor of Azamara. They are short enough not to require a trip to the kitchen to make popcorn. In anticipation of a cruise I usually read and watch as much as I can but I know we are not all the same. I recall being in line to join the Caribbean Princess in Houston and a lady behind me asked her friend "what's the name of this ship?".

Our cruises mean too much to me to want to go in blind and the anticipation is a key part in the months leading up to my tootsies marching briskly up the gangway.

I am an absolute ship nerd as my dad was a ship's Captain and have been walking up gangways since I was 4 or 5. I also sailed 44 cruises as a crew member (musician) for Royal Caribbean in the mid 1980s so am very much at home on the sea.

In another Editorial note I should say that Carol hasn't seen any of the photos I took on the ship

until this review and so she gets a fresh look, just like you. She just knows I am on the ship somewhere with the cameras and on the excursions she is listening to the guide and I am somewhere nearby, clicking away at times.

Norris

• Like 5

The audience for the Captain's announcement

40086649303_dd9a5c2706_b.jpg

at 4 p.m, as requested, an audience of 2 for Afternoon tea in our favorite place to have it

46999634702_c76031cdd9_b.jpg

Carol's beef with this presentation was (a) no scones with clotted cream and jam as on Princess and (b) only one useable tea bag as the others were Earl Grey (no thanks)

and camomile (you can keep it). We prefer a strong breakfast tea. I believe the brand was Tetley at this service. Next time we will know to specify the tea we want.

Sandwiches and cakes were just fine though.

Here are a few pics from a Princess Afternoon tea served on our balcony in Alaska...

29324368703_b0278c2077_b.jpg

29324370473_f6dcb5651d_b.jpg

29324372343_31debd4e6c_b.jpg

29324373973_d38b056421_b.jpg

And suddenly I am hungry.

Norris

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

I posted pics of our cabin on Embarkation Day, way back in the review.

Norris

Oops, I can’t remember that far back - it’s an age thing  :classic_biggrin:.

No scones and jam for afternoon tea or Tetley (...make teabags make tea) - sacrilege :classic_ohmy: 🤣!

49 minutes ago, villauk said:

Oops, I can’t remember that far back - it’s an age thing  :classic_biggrin:.

No scones and jam for afternoon tea or Tetley (...make teabags make tea) - sacrilege :classic_ohmy: 🤣!

Room pics are on page 6. Post # 130

Norris

I am sure a nap may have followed Afternoon tea. We have eaten well today and have French Night in Discoveries to look forward to.

We will be up on deck 11 above the pool to see if there is a sunset. Sunrise was a flop and we paid good money for this cruise. I took an Azamara notepad with me to write the Captain a stiff note if the sunset failed my expectations. Carol was in situ on a comfy lounger, iPhone at the ready for some pics.

33189208978_d9020d1083_b.jpg

46340444674_4cc8b25e88_b.jpg

Clair de lune (my favorite Debussy piece)

32122565067_6291113cb1_b.jpg

(200mm, hand held, moving ship)

deck lights have come on

46340441654_8581d3db14_b.jpg

Only got as far as "Dear so-called Captain" and then this happened

46150666805_e042fe98da_b.jpg

Hmmm, promising. I put down my pen.

to my left

40099455983_4b22d3a7e2_b.jpg

I wouldn't even bother to take the cameras from the bag to photograph a sunset in a cloudless sky. I always look to the side and behind me to see how the sun will light the clouds there.

Carol never misses a sunset. Even when we had a home on Lake Michigan and in the depth of winter she would bundle up and go sit on her Adirondack chair which was positioned to watch the sunsets over the lake. No looking through the window from the cosy living room.

I would be summoned from my warm cocoon to record it. Sometimes I declined as the show was not spectacular. Tonight it is warm which is what you want the Caribbean to be.

46340453954_71a8f06339_b.jpg

33189210308_500df89aa6_b.jpg

More....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

Norris,

Did you get with the band for a little jam session at brunch?  I wish I has some musical ability other than I can listen to music for hours.

Alas, those days are far behind me.

Listening to music for hours is a very good thing.

Norris, keen listener.

Hello Norris & Carol.

Thank you for your great review of Cuba & Azamera.

I discovered it when looking for info on Cuba on my birthday afternoon.  It added much pleasure to my birthday. Took about 3 hours to catch up & have been following along ever since.

Did Carol use the elevator at the Havana terminal or did she do the stairs?

Heather.

1 hour ago, bunnyrab said:

Hello Norris & Carol.

Thank you for your great review of Cuba & Azamera.

I discovered it when looking for info on Cuba on my birthday afternoon.  It added much pleasure to my birthday. Took about 3 hours to catch up & have been following along ever since.

Did Carol use the elevator at the Havana terminal or did she do the stairs?

Heather.

Hi and thanks for joining us and for the kind comments!

Carol used the elevator on the right-the only one in operation as it is a long flight of stairs.

Never had to wait long.

Norris

46340514984_2fcc0847d7_b.jpg

46150749535_15409c6441_b.jpg

40099509843_379fb96ef0_b.jpg

47012112502_0f897671b1_b.jpg

32122639227_16ac9b4d3d_b.jpg

47064420481_4330457633_b.jpg

32122641947_cb999a2d77_b.jpg

33189293798_2c5083a8c3_b.jpg

46340532444_3404655117_b.jpg

reminds me of the sunsets on Saturn although it's been a while since I was last there

33189300838_7e43ec44d6_b.jpg

There were only half a dozen folks on deck to see all that but of course many may have watched from their  balconies and the dining venues. My friend Clint appeared on deck 11 during it with his trusty Nikon. Carol was elated by what she saw. Hopefully she will like these photos and they will transport her back to that time.

We had 487 nautical miles between Havana and Cienfuegos and on calm seas the ship was eating up the miles. We looked forward to another fine dinner in an hour or so. I had already broached the idea of trying both Specialty restaurants on the ship-Aqualina (Italian) and Prime C (steaks and seafood) but Carol said that the food in Discoveries was so good, why bother?

I had to try at least one though out of curiosity so put my foot down (the left one, I think. Can't be sure) and made a reservation with Aqualina for the night we would sail away from Santiago de Cuba. I did it in person so I could scope out the room.

I thought how lucky we had been that the Noro virus precautions had been deemed unnecessary after the first day on the ship. Also that we had perfect sightseeing weather in Havana without a drop of rain. Calm seas too.

Each day has been a pleasure. Can't ask for more than that.

Norris

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Lovely sunset photos.  I've always considered sunRISE to be over-rated, if only because it occurs at such an inconvenient time.  Nobody every offered me a sunrise G&T...

Thanks Jazzbeau! 

I'm an early riser by nature and especially when at sea.

I've never had a Gin and Tonic but with a beverage package I should try one as it is my younger sister's favorite tipple (odd word) and she and her husband are great entertainers. "Would you like a wee drop o' Jamesons" asks her husband and Norris says "don't mind if I do"

Is there a particular brand I should try for my first?

If they don't offer you a sunrise G & T on Azamara I recommend a stiff note (on cardboard which is really stiff). "Dear so-called Captain_____"

Cheers. Or bottoms up!

Norris