Turtles at Boatyard Beach

cnjoy26

Just looking for a little more info. What is the process for going to snorkel with turtles from boatyard beach? Is there a line you stand in? How long is the line? Just looking for a little more details! Thanks!

8 hours ago, cnjoy26 said:

Just looking for a little more info. What is the process for going to snorkel with turtles from boatyard beach? Is there a line you stand in? How long is the line? Just looking for a little more details! Thanks!

You don't have to the Boatyard to go snorkeling. People are all along Carlise bay selling the turtles excursion

OntarioCruiser

When we went to The Boatyard we paid somewhere around 25 US dollars?

That gets you in, your lounger and a drink.   there is a long pier.   At the end of the pier there is a rope swing - which was really good fun!   There  is also a couple of trampolines floating in the sea and big iceberg thing that's a slide.   I couldn't get up on that one! 

You put your name down for the boat trip.   They have a clipboard and they put your name down and ask how many are in your party.   You don't get a "time", you just get sent away with the instruction to listen out for your name.   When they call you - you go up and get togged up with a lifejacket etc. 

Its not just turtles.   You get taken out over a shipwreck and there are quite a few fish here so you can get in the middle of a school and that's a nice feeling. 

I enjoyed it there a lot. 

• Like 1

Boatyard attracts families and kid with the water toys and pier.  For a beach club with fewer kids look up the beach to Harbor Lights or Lobster Alive - no water toys, just chairs, umbrellas, and a bar/restaurant.

Edited by JohninDC

They give you the snorkeling gear on the boat.  One of the staff can show you how to use it - pretty easy.  I would use an inflatable vest  if offered, both for visibility and flotation.  Enjoy! 😎

Edited by JohninDC
  • Like 1

We used the beach area right next to the Boatyard--Lobster Alive?--not sure.  For $10 we got a chair, umbrella, one drink and a taxi back to the ship.  We didn't care if we had the rope swing, slides, etc.

When we got there a young man came up and offered us a shipwreck/turtle snorkel for $15.  We were able to go more or less when we wanted, or when one of the boats got back.  After an hour or two we went on the tour. He came back to get us when a boat was ready, so no standing in line.

For the price it was very nice.  We had our own snorkels, but they had them on the boat and would show you how to use them.  It wasn't very crowded when we went.

Prices are pp., a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

Lobster Alive has beach chairs and umbrellas but a lot fewer than the others.  The chairs are placed farther apart, too.  The emphasis is definitely on the restaurant.  Lots of vendors selling turtle boat packages all along the beach.

I think I've attached two pictures from 8 this morning showing the difference in numbers of chairs.  Lobster Alive eventually will have some more back closer to the restaurant before they open.

1843142039_2019-02-0108_03_14.thumb.jpg.3c326b5fc147b6bf086a81c999b98d14.jpg

1256628771_2019-02-0108_03_03.thumb.jpg.da70d26d3f7b2014e6ad244d4130f896.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Outta My Work Clothes said:

THANKx sft… thinking of heading to Harbor Lights cuz they have a beach/turtle combo at 20 bucks... take a walk down and visit LA.... sure get bite to eat there... heard BY doesn't serve unless you have a bracelet.

I don't think Copa does either, and Harbor Lights had someone sitting by the beach entrance but I had my own beer all week so I didn't try any of them.

1219759648_2019-02-0108_00_17.thumb.jpg.57183203b4b5685e3a2186587252a6d7.jpg

• 1 month later...

We were at Boatyard a year or so ago.  We did not go on the-included snorkel tour.  We got there from our ship relatively early (we thought) but still were relegated to chairs 3 or more rows back as I recall.  There were some chairs in the first row with towels on them but nobody there for the longest time.  I’m now wondering if these people had gone on the first snorkle tour and the beach employees were saving their chairs.  If that was the case I might be tempted to go on the snorkel tour - we just don’t want to get back from an early snorkel to find that there are either no more chairs left or we have to sit in row eleven LOL.

Now I had not realized that there are a couple of other places just down the beach where we could also rent chairs/umbrellas that may not be as crowded as Boatyard.  We do not need the swing rope, etc. or the 1 included drink.  And snorkling with turtles surrounded by scores of other snorkellers is not necessary for us either - we have snorkeled with scores of turtles elsewhere.  Having a return taxi included in the cost of beach access is nice though.  We’ll be in Barbados Sunday, 31 March on the Silhouette so will have to keep these other options in mind.  The Boatyard has a bit of a party atmosphere I think and being a Sunday there may be considerably more locals  there than on a weekday.

It’s apparent that the facilities of any of these (Boatyard, Copa, Lobster Alive, etc) are each well worth the admission cost for what you get.

I wonder if food and/or drink cost vary much between them much.  Obviously I’d be willing to pay more for an outstanding meal than an average one.  The Boatyard won’t let you even bring an outside drink there & reviews indicate they act like the beach is their property.  Can you walk down the beach, eat, and return or do you lose your chairs?

17 hours ago, thon said:

Now I had not realized that there are a couple of other places just down the beach where we could also rent chairs/umbrellas that may not be as crowded as Boatyard.  We do not need the swing rope, etc. or the 1 included drink.  

If you walk south (left) from the Boatyard there are several places to rent a chair and get drinks and a meal.  The outfit renting chairs that is last in that line is, I believe, a place that only rents chairs.  No bar or food.  They are pretty much right in front of where the boats take the turtle snorkelers.  You would still need to either get a taxi or walk but either would be fairly easy.

We were at Harbour Lights this past week and it was very busy. The Boatyard was even busier. Beautiful beach, but a lot of people. Get there as early as possible .We were in row 4 and we got there at 10:30 am. The umbrellas were almost touching each other in the rows.Food was so - so.