LIVE ON THE DAWN 11 DAY S. CARIBBEAN

ClevelandCruisin

This is just my opinion on this next section. No need for haters to tell me that I'm wrong or input their opinion.

I want to try and finish my review while I'm here thinking about it.

Where to start? Ok, the ship held about 2200+ people and another 1000 or so crew. It was a smaller ship, bigger than the sky and sun which I've been on before. The layout is a little different. Since the remodel, it seems like they just placed things into old spots.

The entertainment was lacking. Built around an average age of 60+, we found that much of what was listed in the dailies was a little dry and boring.

The itinerary was amazing. 11 days of fun in the sun and 8 ports we stopped at.

The food was pretty good. Only had a few bad experiences while on board. Teppanyaki, cagneys and even the dining rooms rocked. Sushi was good if you want to pay extra to eat. We skipped the buffet. The lines are long and the food really sits for too long.

The crew was good. Our steward would meet any needs that we asked or needed. Let us keep all of our towel animals, brought extra towels. I'm sure extra pillows if we would've asked.

Overall I'd give it a 3 out of 5 grade. Next up the breakaway April 28. Then Bermuda June 2 on the Escape and Mexican Riviera October 27 on the Bliss all of this year.

• Like 2

Thank you for the great review!  We have been on Dawn and really liked that she wasn't too large.  I would like to do this itinerary.  I am not brand loyal just book places that we want to see.  And very new to cruising.  

Great for you that you get to do more than one cruise this year!

Great live review. Dawn was our first ever cruise, pre-drydock. We prefer that size ships over the new big ones but its getting hard to find the itineraries we want on the "smaller" ships. Love the itineraries out of Puerto Rico on both NCL and CCL. They are trading out the Dawn for the Epic in Puerto Rico next year so we decided to look elsewhere. As the poster above said, we aren't locked into a specific cruise line, we base our choice on itinerary and price, however, when its just the two of us, we do tend to lean toward NCL.

Cleveland...….from your summery of the cruise, I think you will love the Bliss.  We have been on the Dawn (10 yrs ago), and loved it.  Our last cruise was on the Bliss.  Beautiful ship, a lot of people, but tons to do.  I loved the slides, and the go karts.:classic_smile:  

On 2/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, Oldgoat61 said:

Cleveland...….from your summery of the cruise, I think you will love the Bliss.  We have been on the Dawn (10 yrs ago), and loved it.  Our last cruise was on the Bliss.  Beautiful ship, a lot of people, but tons to do.  I loved the slides, and the go karts.:classic_smile:  

I hope so. Going on the Bliss in October. Not really interested in the go karts. I do love the district, food republic and everything there is to do on the ship.

Loved this place in Aruba. It had plenty of seats. Was a short walk from the pier. The day we went the food special was $1 tacos. Margaritas were the drink special for $3 either regular with salt or frozen. I liked the frozen marg. Beautiful views of the water. Check it out if your in Aruba.

20190129_094856.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting excursion in Barbados and the Hato Caves. I'm not much of a cave person, actually find them very boring and a waste of time on the cruise, but that's just me.

Another few reasons to skip this excursion. You start out having to walk up 40+ steps to reach the entrance. Talk about cardio. The steps are like Mayan ruins, just waiting to fall back on the old people behind me.

It's nothing special,  they look like caves. Not humid because it's above sea level and no picture taking till the guide says so.

Not to mention the $3 gatorade I was forced to buy because I was thirsty as all.

Oh and you get to view 3 turtles in a pen.. exciting right?

Skip this excursion.

20190130_145856.jpg

Grenada was a great stop. The spice island. The picture with this is the entrance to the mall. Hit the duty free shop and grab some cheap spices.

Saffron in a regular spice bottle size was only $4. Whether or not it's really 100% authentic,  I couldn't tell you. But the prices were outstanding.

20190201_113601.jpg

19 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Finally uploaded my stingray city photos from my gopro camera. This excursion was in Antigua. So many Ray's swimming around us.

GOPR0045_1549942570375_high.JPG

What was the name of this excursion? I can’t seem to find one for Antigua with stingrays.

This excursion was so much fun. You take a small boat over that holds maybe 15 people. You take a ride out to the middle of the ocean in Antigua where you reach a sand bar with floating docks.

The water is cold at first. About waste high. You can either walk around or snorkel. Feed them, take a photo which runs $15-25.

It was kind of scary at first with so many stingrays swimming around us, brushing against you.

They feel slimy and rubbery. Remember to shuffle your feet, dont want to step on any.

A must in Antigua! When you get back, rum punch is served and it's strong. They have lots of parrots you can look at in cages, they reminded us of our 3 we have.

Heads up the boat ride both ways is rough.

GOPR0172_1549942992275_high.JPG

GOPR0173_1549942997898_high.JPG

GOPR0179_1549943018694_high.JPG

GOPR0180_1549943025120_high.JPG

GOPR0182_1549943039166_high.JPG

GOPR0184_1549943047812_high.JPG

GOPR0187_1549943058113_high.JPG

GOPR0191_1549943069638_high.JPG

GOPR0193_1549943076874_high.JPG

19 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Finally uploaded my stingray city photos from my gopro camera. This excursion was in Antigua. So many Ray's swimming around us.

GOPR0045_1549942570375_high.JPG

What was the name of this excursion? I can’t seem to find one for Antigua with stingrays.