LIVE ON THE DAWN 11 DAY S. CARIBBEAN

ClevelandCruisin

Breakfast at the Venetian dining room.

Woke up early to stylize my sunrise photo with google.

I had sausage biscuits and gravy, blueberry yogurt, wanted crispy bacon but ended up limp and potato cakes.

Oh and a screwdriver.

Grenada in a few hours. Photos to come!

IMG_20190201_084721_333.jpg

20190201_083646.jpg

20190201_085305.jpg

20190201_090555.jpg

20190201_083617.jpg

20190201_083610.jpg

• Like 1

Grenada today. No excursion. Visited the duty free shop and bought a magnet for our fridge, piranha Joe's shirts, Christmas ornament and spices of course.

Can't visit the spice island with picking up a jar of saffron for $4. Spices were cheap here.

Very hot here. The sun and my Ohio skin were fighting.

Nothing to do in port. We walked in to a so called sports bar outside the port building, sat down and got right up and left. It was a for sure a dive bar.

Oh beware.. if you go outside the ship to the port shops or beyond. The locals and everyone of them will come up to you asking to take you somewhere or to buy something, very pushy here.

20190201_113701.jpg

20190201_113454.jpg

20190201_121145.jpg

20190201_122843.jpg

2 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Grenada today. No excursion. Visited the duty free shop and bought a magnet for our fridge, piranha Joe's shirts, Christmas ornament and spices of course.

Can't visit the spice island with picking up a jar of saffron for $4. Spices were cheap here.

Very hot here. The sun and my Ohio skin were fighting.

Nothing to do in port. We walked in to a so called sports bar outside the port building, sat down and got right up and left. It was a for sure a dive bar.

Oh beware.. if you go outside the ship to the port shops or beyond. The locals and everyone of them will come up to you asking to take you somewhere or to buy something, very pushy here.

20190201_113701.jpg

20190201_113454.jpg

20190201_121145.jpg

20190201_122843.jpg

I was sorry we were not going to Grenada but maybe it is better we are not. As for them trying to sell you everything in sight or wanting to take you everywhere that isn't really anything new for any of the islands; some are pushier than others.  

6 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I was sorry we were not going to Grenada but maybe it is better we are not. As for them trying to sell you everything in sight or wanting to take you everywhere that isn't really anything new for any of the islands; some are pushier than others.  

It definitely isn't new, but they are the worse I have encounter so far on a cruise. This one guy kept stepping in front of me even though I told him no. He followed us down the street until we got close to a cop. 

9 hours ago, CruisinSam91 said:

It definitely isn't new, but they are the worse I have encounter so far on a cruise. This one guy kept stepping in front of me even though I told him no. He followed us down the street until we got close to a cop. 

We have had the most problems with Jamaica and with a small port that was used for awhile by NCL in Hondorus. (spelling)  

Enjoying your detailed review.  We did a 10 day Southern trip on the Dawn last New Year.  The ship did not have the bells and whistles we are used to, but it worked for the itinerary since it was so port intensive, we spent very little time on the ship for that reason.  You have what I view to be a dream Caribbean itinerary.

We enjoyed our time on the Dawn.  We found the locals VERY aggressive right where you get off the ship in Grenada, but I just walked by them and went up to the fort by myself.  After that, I explored the town for 3 or 4 hours and was not approached a single time.  If you get away from the area right at the dock, it is a totally different experience.

We only ate in the Venetian Dining Room once in 10 days.  Loved the look of the dining room but we found the service far too slow.  When we went to Aqua, we never went back to the Venetian til the last evening.  We found the service in Aqua MUCH better, maybe because it is smaller and more intimate.

Best thing about the Dawn on our cruise was the nightly crepes in the buffet.  If you have not found them - go find them.  I do not remember who the gentleman was who was serving them nightly on our cruise, but he was the best employee on the ship.

52 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Enjoying your detailed review.  We did a 10 day Southern trip on the Dawn last New Year.  The ship did not have the bells and whistles we are used to, but it worked for the itinerary since it was so port intensive, we spent very little time on the ship for that reason.  You have what I view to be a dream Caribbean itinerary.

We enjoyed our time on the Dawn.  We found the locals VERY aggressive right where you get off the ship in Grenada, but I just walked by them and went up to the fort by myself.  After that, I explored the town for 3 or 4 hours and was not approached a single time.  If you get away from the area right at the dock, it is a totally different experience.

We only ate in the Venetian Dining Room once in 10 days.  Loved the look of the dining room but we found the service far too slow.  When we went to Aqua, we never went back to the Venetian til the last evening.  We found the service in Aqua MUCH better, maybe because it is smaller and more intimate.

Best thing about the Dawn on our cruise was the nightly crepes in the buffet.  If you have not found them - go find them.  I do not remember who the gentleman was who was serving them nightly on our cruise, but he was the best employee on the ship.

You are right, not a lot of bells and whistles but you may have been on her before she went into dry dock. We cruised her in May, and loved everything including the service. We had been on her one other time: repo from Tampa to Boston before she went into dry dock; much better now. Of all the ships we have cruised and I think that is all the NCL ships except the Getaway and the Bliss the Dawn is almost our favorite, The service is out of this world. 

15 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

You are right, not a lot of bells and whistles but you may have been on her before she went into dry dock. We cruised her in May, and loved everything including the service. We had been on her one other time: repo from Tampa to Boston before she went into dry dock; much better now. Of all the ships we have cruised and I think that is all the NCL ships except the Getaway and the Bliss the Dawn is almost our favorite, The service is out of this world. 

Actually, we were on her after her dry dock.  I loved the decor on the ship and thought the service was excellent as well.  Would not hesitate to sail the Dawn again on a port intensive itinerary going to ports I wanted to visit.

2 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

20190202_100849.jpg

20190202_100908.jpg

They can’t quite get that bacon crispy enough, at least for my taste. 

Thanks for posting the hash. I wondered how it would look. 

Thanks again for all your commentary and photos. 

Today's excursion we went to Harrison's cave.

They took us on a team into the cave. Lots of water dripping, very humid. It was just ok. A long tour that ended right before we were leaving port.

Plus in Barbados you have to take shuttle buses to the port terminal. Could be waiting awhile.

20190202_143548.jpg

20190202_144203.jpg

20190202_144304.jpg

20190202_145700.jpg

20190202_151135.jpg