Service dogs on board ship

NH Cruisers

I am new to this board, but clicked on this post because I have been looking for up to date information on cruising with a service dog.  My adult daughter on the Autism Spectrum has a service dog, and we will be taking a lengthy cruise later this year.  We have cruised many times before, and once, on a short 5 night with her service dog this past year.  I was hoping to find more information on port entry documentation and requirements, but most of what is on these boards is pretty old (some from 2007).  We are doing a 14 day Panama Canal cruise, and the paperwork, lab titers, import permit fees, USDA veterinarian signature fees, expensive heartworm and flea and tick treatments etc... required for the ports we are visiting are pretty hefty.  I cannot imagine people want to go through all this and pay all this extra $$ to just bring a pet with them.  It blows my mind.  The Bahamas was just about $100 with the permit fee and the cost to Overnight the permit application to them, but other ports such as Grand Cayman have very stringent and expensive rules.

I wanted to say that for those of us who have a service dog in our household, we are just as angered and outraged at general pets being claimed as service animals, or even ESA's for that matter.  Many of you are correct in that ESA's do not have the same rights as SA's.  Nothing is more angering to us than being somewhere that someone is carrying a small dog in their arms that has a vest on, and it's growling at people, or shaking uncontrollably.  SA's are used to loud, unfamiliar environments, because they are trained in those settings.  They are also trained, for the most part, to do their job with their feet on the ground, not in a stroller or shopping cart.  

Although SA's should not be randomly jumping on furniture and such, I will say that my daughters service dog sleeps in the bed with her, on top of her, because one of his jobs is to keep her from wandering or eloping.   He is tethered to her with a jogging leash at all times.  However, when we are dining or at a show, or anything of that nature, he is under the table, or tucked behind her legs as best as he can be for the space he is given to do so.  He is a work in progress since he is young (not quite 3 years old), so he is not perfect, and will occasionally sniff something he shouldn't walking by, but he does not bark, growl, or try to follow it, we will just notice he may sniff someone walking by him.  My daughter is not always quick in correcting him if she does not see the behavior happening with him, so we have to do the correcting at times.  We are not at all offended if people ask us questions about our service dog, as long as it is respectful.  If you ask me "what's wrong with her that she needs a dog?" though, I will probably respond "what's wrong with you that your parents didn't teach you to be polite and respectful of others?"  

Also, we are from Florida, so although we have a vest on our SA at all times, it isn't required, and often in Florida, because of the heat, and the fact that many SA"s are of the shepherd or retriever breed, they may not wear a vest because it can contribute to overheating.  However, they should wear a wide collar which indicates they are a service dog or a working dog, so people know.  

So, if anyone has any questions about cruising with a service dog, I'm happy to answer what I know at this point, and I will probably have ALOT more information as we plan and embark on our Panama Canal cruise!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, allies_daphne said:

I am new to this board, but clicked on this post because I have been looking for up to date information on cruising with a service dog.  My adult daughter on the Autism Spectrum has a service dog, and we will be taking a lengthy cruise later this year.  We have cruised many times before, and once, on a short 5 night with her service dog this past year.  I was hoping to find more information on port entry documentation and requirements, but most of what is on these boards is pretty old (some from 2007).  We are doing a 14 day Panama Canal cruise, and the paperwork, lab titers, import permit fees, USDA veterinarian signature fees, expensive heartworm and flea and tick treatments etc... required for the ports we are visiting are pretty hefty.  I cannot imagine people want to go through all this and pay all this extra $$ to just bring a pet with them.  It blows my mind.  The Bahamas was just about $100 with the permit fee and the cost to Overnight the permit application to them, but other ports such as Grand Cayman have very stringent and expensive rules.

I wanted to say that for those of us who have a service dog in our household, we are just as angered and outraged at general pets being claimed as service animals, or even ESA's for that matter.  Many of you are correct in that ESA's do not have the same rights as SA's.  Nothing is more angering to us than being somewhere that someone is carrying a small dog in their arms that has a vest on, and it's growling at people, or shaking uncontrollably.  SA's are used to loud, unfamiliar environments, because they are trained in those settings.  They are also trained, for the most part, to do their job with their feet on the ground, not in a stroller or shopping cart.  

Although SA's should not be randomly jumping on furniture and such, I will say that my daughters service dog sleeps in the bed with her, on top of her, because one of his jobs is to keep her from wandering or eloping.   He is tethered to her with a jogging leash at all times.  However, when we are dining or at a show, or anything of that nature, he is under the table, or tucked behind her legs as best as he can be for the space he is given to do so.  He is a work in progress since he is young (not quite 3 years old), so he is not perfect, and will occasionally sniff something he shouldn't walking by, but he does not bark, growl, or try to follow it, we will just notice he may sniff someone walking by him.  My daughter is not always quick in correcting him if she does not see the behavior happening with him, so we have to do the correcting at times.  We are not at all offended if people ask us questions about our service dog, as long as it is respectful.  If you ask me "what's wrong with her that she needs a dog?" though, I will probably respond "what's wrong with you that your parents didn't teach you to be polite and respectful of others?"  

Also, we are from Florida, so although we have a vest on our SA at all times, it isn't required, and often in Florida, because of the heat, and the fact that many SA"s are of the shepherd or retriever breed, they may not wear a vest because it can contribute to overheating.  However, they should wear a wide collar which indicates they are a service dog or a working dog, so people know.  

So, if anyone has any questions about cruising with a service dog, I'm happy to answer what I know at this point, and I will probably have ALOT more information as we plan and embark on our Panama Canal cruise!

I'm not sure why you think there isn't up to date info on service animals, because on the Disability section of CC, there is a VERY active thread on just this topic (specifically mentioning dogs):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/551529-cruising-with-a-service-dogeverything-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

If you haven't found that yet, you may find some very useful information.

GC

By the way, you can actually cruise with your non-service dog if on Cunard's Queen Mary 2. They have a full-time kennel master and space for a couple dozen animals, dogs or cats.

The dogs are brought on early and they are not allowed outside of the large kennel area. There are deck areas and inside areas for them to run around and socialize with other dogs. There are also about 8-10 hours during the day designated as visiting hours for the owners to hang out with their dogs if they want. And I've heard that if you want to visit your dog whenever the kennel master will let you.

• Like 2

There's a really nice movie, Pick of the Litter, that's about how seeing eye dogs are trained.  I watched some of it on a flight last night (plane landed before it was finished) - fascinating and amazing what these dogs can do!  Really makes clear the difference between a true service animal and the pets masquerading as service dogs.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, allies_daphne said:

I'm curious about how your dog was trained.  As per my last post, I find it truly amazing how wonderful and skilled a true service animal is!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, erdoran said:

I'm curious about how your dog was trained.  As per my last post, I find it truly amazing how wonderful and skilled a true service animal is!

Erdoran,

We initially met with a trainer to discuss my daughters needs, and decide what breed might be best served for her.  She is on the Autism Spectrum, and can be quite impulsive, and has a tendency to wander or elope (run away).  We wanted a service dog that could be scent trained, to be able to find her if she were to get away.   We have also used this scent training much like diabetic or epilepsy/seizure service animals are trained – our service dog can pick up on my daughters scent when she is heading towards a meltdown.  This scent training was done by providing pieces of clothing and saliva swabs and skin swabs that the trainer used in scent boxes and also in random locations in the training center while being trained.  He comes from a line of search and rescue and cadaver dogs, so his specialty is scent training.   He also provides deep pressure to her during meltdowns, by sitting in her lap, and leaning against her chest, or laying on top of her.  Her meltdowns and elopements are way down since we got him a year ago, and he is tethered to her with a jogging leash all the time.  Since this does not happen frequently anymore, we have to simulate the scent training often, with saliva and skin swabs that we collect when she does have a meltdown, or pieces of her clothing, just for scent tracking.  We keep these in the freezer, and he gets ‘tested’ every week to make sure he stays sharp at picking up on her scent, and what his job is, kind of like police K-9’s are kept sharp.  Prior to permanently taking him home, we did many sessions with the trainer and my daughter (the handler) at the training center and our home.  Then we started bringing him home on weekends, and then stretching that out to longer periods of time until he was permanently with us. 

We are lucky enough to live in the same town as our trainer, and also received essentially a lifetime assistance contract with him, so if we have to approach a new task for him at any time, or are having trouble with him mastering a task, we can reach out, and he will work with us at his training center, or come to our home if necessary.  We did this with our first cruise, having him help us teach him to potty in a confined space.  He is what we call a “walking pooper”, so staying in the kiddie pool or the box is hard for him, and he was a little intimidated by it.  He prefers the tray to the pool.  We usually bring puppy pads to put around the tray, so if he steps out of it, the pad catches the poop.  We have a tray at home, and when we move it to different locations with different things in it (sod, mulch, gravel, bark).  He doesn’t use it all the time for potty, but frequently, so he is still used to going in one when necessary.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 3:22 PM, misguy said:

I understand that, I was just making the point that none of us should judge whether the dog is necessary or not.  We can't know.

if the dog is "working", it's a service animal - ignoring people, well behaved.  if it's yapping, begging for food, riding in a stroller - it's not a service animal.  it's pretty easy to tell...

• Like 2

On 2/22/2019 at 8:05 AM, rabidstoat said:

By the way, you can actually cruise with your non-service dog if on Cunard's Queen Mary 2. They have a full-time kennel master and space for a couple dozen animals, dogs or cats.

The dogs are brought on early and they are not allowed outside of the large kennel area. There are deck areas and inside areas for them to run around and socialize with other dogs. There are also about 8-10 hours during the day designated as visiting hours for the owners to hang out with their dogs if they want. And I've heard that if you want to visit your dog whenever the kennel master will let you.

Now that's a great idea!   I would love to travel with my pets but also want to be free to come and go as I please on vacation.  

• 2 weeks later...

If it walks like a duck ...

Was on the Getaway earlier this month which had a pet on it . It is impossible for me to believe this was a service dog as it was continually being fussed over and played with by the multiple people who were with it . This included feeding treats to the animal and allowing the dog to stand up and paw at them. I didn't see any incidents with this dog but all in all don't believe non-service dogs should be allowed on .

On 1/27/2019 at 2:01 PM, GeezerCouple said:

It's not always true, but most of the time it's pretty clear if a "support dog" is NOT a real "service dog", from it's behavior.

Service animals, including dogs, are very well trained.  They do not "act like pets", because... they aren't just pets, although there may well be a similar very close emotional attachment (as there is with law enforcement and their official canine partners, for example).

And other examples of "usually unseen" disability needs, besides the blood sugar detection, would be the ability to seek help.get attention/notify others if an owner has a seizure, or such.  There are many ways a service animal can assist.

But again, these dogs don't jump around on furniture, they don't run over to sniff people, or try to get petted or some treat or whatever.  

Exactly.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:31 PM, victory2020 said:

I've seen many on Princess (one cruise there were three - interestingly enough there was a blind man who did not have one) & the way the owners were treating them you could tell it was a sham (holding them, feeding them, letting people pet them)

Exactly .

On 1/28/2019 at 6:51 PM, erdoran said:

You can buy emotional support animal certification over the internet for around $200, including a letter from a local doctor stating they prescribed this emotional support animal for you. I know someone who did that because he had a pet he wanted to have with him.  I made my opinion known, but of course was ignored - someone who would cheapen service animals with that type of nonsense knows what they are doing, but are too selfish and self-centered to care or to even think they are doing something wrong.

There should be consequences for fake service animals but it seems like a legal minefield to call fraud on them.

Yup again .

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:13 PM, allies_daphne said:

@allies_daphne I know this is an old post, but my nephew is on the autism spectrum and is currently on the waiting list for a service dog!  We hope that they will be paired up before our cruise in summer of 2024, and I'd love to pick your brain about cruising with a service dog, but also just about having a service dog for an autistic child in general - there is so much we are learning!  Hope you see this!

Happy to help if I can!  We’ve come a long way since this post.  Our boy has 32 sea days under his vest now and another 14 night coming up in October.  Things are ever changing regarding traveling with SD’s and I will tell you that most cruise lines will help with onboard things but anything off board (Like excursions, or even the port requirements/restrictions in general they will leave to the cruiser.

On our last cruise in March, we had a beautiful service dog named Molly sailing with us. Her owner had severe PTSD. We were able to meet him and love on Molly (after asking, of course!) Molly dressed for elegant night in a beautiful frilly "dress" and on St. Patty's Day, she was decked out in sparkly green. She was MUCH better behaved than many guests on board.  We don't know someone's disability. We don't know what someone needs to be OK. Someone not "liking dogs" is much less important than someone finding a way to function and live their life to the fullest. If that takes a dog, then bring on the dog, imo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2019 at 1:44 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

The problem is compounded by the fraudulent people who take advantage of the system. There are people who will put their pet in a vest and claim that it is a service dog (it isn't). The general public can't tell the difference so these pets give real, trained service dogs a bad name. 

Exactly this, and the snarky, uppity people who get mad and defensive, i.e "I don't have to tell you why I have the dog, mind your own business!" are the ones who ruin it for everyone. Personally, I'm glad more companies are banning this. Don't get me started on the arrogant and entitled in our society, maybe it's because it's early and I'm still grumpy, LOL! 😆😁

24 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Exactly this, and the snarky, uppity people who get mad and defensive, i.e "I don't have to tell you why I have the dog, mind your own business!" are the ones who ruin it for everyone. Personally, I'm glad more companies are banning this. Don't get me started on the arrogant and entitled in our society, maybe it's because it's early and I'm still grumpy, LOL! 😆😁

Well….Mr Grumpy…(j/k).  I concur with you.

I think the true service animals I’ve come across, as well as their owners, to share a needed, tight, and strong bond.  I am happy that the service dogs are able to provide for their owners.

That said, we’ve all seen it.  Someone, somewhere, claiming to have a service animal, where nothing could be further from the truth.  They’re either too financially tight to board their animal while they’re gone.  Or, think the ship is their home, and no consideration given to the other thousands of guests on board.

I love pets.  Lord knows we’ve had enough guinea pigs, goldfish, cats, dogs, snakes in this house to start a zoo.   Every time we lose a beloved pet, we truly grieve as a part of our family has been lost.

But, to those who consider their “support pet” something you treat like a Barbie Doll, you should not be allowed to board.  

Now look who has me all Grumpy. 😉

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

I wish the cruise lines would have a 'canine cruise' every once in awhile so those of us who have to leave their dogs at home could enjoy their company onboard for once.  Not that they could disembark at ports due to quarantine issues but just onboard, in our staterooms with maybe 

a play area (like they have for toddlers) and an area of mulch for pet relief.  I don't think the logistics would be that undoable - maybe a weight or size limit on the dogs and maybe only in staterooms on a lower deck but still, I think it would work.  I'll be first in line with our two Dachshunds.  I guess they qualify as emotional support dogs (to us, anyway).  Just sayin'

• Haha 1

On our last cruise through the Panama Canal there was another ‘service dog’ on board.  It was a smaller terrier type and several times walking the deck or out at the pool it lunged and barked at our SD.  This was to the point we had to report it, because if my daughters dog becomes incapacitated, she’s lost her medical device.  This guest was also feeding him under the table every night at dinner.  On formal night, right by Guest Services, we were walked past the Photography backdrop to the elevators and this dog lunged after ours again, just walking past.  Probably 50 people saw this happen.  Our SD never reacted at all, but these type of people make those of us with true service animals completely scrutinized all the time.  At the end of the day, animals are animals and they aren’t perfect, and ours will certainly on occasion grab a crumb off the floor if he thinks he can get away with it, and if he’s separated from my daughter multiple times in a short period (say at Disney, if she’s riding rides), he will voice his displeasure of the separation with one bark.  He’ll be 7 in July and he’s barked 6 times since have had him - that’s it. 

We prepare long ahead of time for cruising, using a potty box at home for 3 months pre cruise so it becomes very normal for him to go in a small box.  He is in a strict food/water schedule so we know when he pees/poops - after breakfast and dinner and pees mid day and bedtime.  This allows us to plan activities/excursions based on his schedule and knowing when his breaks are.  He does not get any food in between because the potty schedule is set. 

it is a lot of work to travel with a SD, but without him, there are so many things we would never be able to do.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I love pets.  Lord knows we’ve had enough guinea pigs, goldfish, cats, dogs, snakes in this house to start a zoo.   Every time we lose a beloved pet, we truly grieve as a part of our family has been lost.

Same here. I'm married to a woman whose father worshipped his pets. He had a note on his kitchen wall saying that, in the event of his passing, he wanted all his assets used to care for his pets for the extent of their natural lives. He once stopped and picked up an injured squirrel and took it to an animal hospital. He spent $1,000s on caring for a dog that's now ours (since my father-in-law is deceased). My wife is just like her father. We are very much good pet owners. And I have encountered people in many areas of life, especially on public transportation, who have service animals. You can tell by how the animals behave that they are at work, and their owners are usually very low-key. Contrast this with the time a friend of mine was in line at Starbucks and a yappy dog in a harness was getting too close to my friend who then told the dog's owner to make him behave and she said "that's my emotional support dog, mind your own business, and I don't have to tell you why I have one." Yeah, jerks like that are why airlines, etc. are banning them altogether. I passionately support animals and in particular service animals, and I detest selfish frauds who ruin it for everyone else.

• Like 2

I’m not sure a ‘canine cruise’ would work.  Animals cannot be left unattended in the state room so anytime you are not there, they must be with you.  That means pool, meals, shows, excursions, ports.  

Cruise  ship space is limited.  Most service dog relief areas are under a small stairwell unless you have a balcony and choose to have the relief station there.  Would be difficult to accommodate many dogs in a community relief area.

Thirdly, who would vouch for the temperament and behavior of all these dogs together?  Every time we travel with our SD we must provide proof of his Canine Good Citizenship status and also sign a waiver that he will not be disruptive, potty where he shouldn’t etc… and if so, they have the right to remove us.  

While I do understand people miss their pets while on vacation, I don’t think cruising is the best vacation option with pets - no vet service available either, and maybe not even in port (and that’s saying you have appropriate permits to get off, which isn’t likely, because if your dog isn’t a SD, they would not be allowed off).  

• Like 2

I would love to have a "canine cruise!" I have four dogs and hate leaving them in a kennel while we cruise. I've often drifted off to sleep dreaming of owning a cruise line dedicated to allowing pets onboard (yea, I'm kind of weird/obsessed). But, the logistics of doing this would be far too difficult for a mainstream cruise line.

Go to your local dog park and observe the animals. By animals, I mean the human owners. How many don't care what they're dog is doing, even when their dog is being aggressive, pooping (not cleaning it up), going round and round because they're overstimulated, and so forth. 

I would absolutely love this type of cruise, but I just don't think it's possible. Then you have to think about all the country specific bans, documentation, etc. I just don't see it happening. 

Unfortunately these four fur balls will be left at home when we cruise. 

image.thumb.jpeg.479c3d04507690cbe541c0bc85645243.jpeg

As for dogs that are trained to be with humans, I grew up with my grandparents. My grandfather was blind, so we had a guiding eyes dog in our house for most of my upbringing. It was great to have a dog, but they were treated somewhat differently than our family pet dog. You can quickly distinguish a working dog from a non-working dog. Those little rat terriers that are yapping? That golden sitting in the booth next to their owner, the barking or lunging dog? Yea, they ain't no working dog! And shame on those POS humans for putting their dogs in that place. 

Also, to those POS's (and they are the worst of the worst humans), we actually can ask you questions about your service dog:

1. Is the animal a service dog required for a disability? 

2. What work or task has your dog been trained to perform. 

As you can see, I have no empathy for liars that claim their dogs for emotional support, or other reasons. I want my dogs around all the time too. But, I'm not so dull as to think they can be. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I would love to have a "canine cruise!" I have four dogs and hate leaving them in a kennel while we cruise. I've often drifted off to sleep dreaming of owning a cruise line dedicated to allowing pets onboard (yea, I'm kind of weird/obsessed). But, the logistics of doing this would be far too difficult for a mainstream cruise line.

Go to your local dog park and observe the animals. By animals, I mean the human owners. How many don't care what they're dog is doing, even when their dog is being aggressive, pooping (not cleaning it up), going round and round because they're overstimulated, and so forth. 

I would absolutely love this type of cruise, but I just don't think it's possible. Then you have to think about all the country specific bans, documentation, etc. I just don't see it happening. 

Unfortunately these four fur balls will be left at home when we cruise. 

image.thumb.jpeg.479c3d04507690cbe541c0bc85645243.jpeg

As for dogs that are trained to be with humans, I grew up with my grandparents. My grandfather was blind, so we had a guiding eyes dog in our house for most of my upbringing. It was great to have a dog, but they were treated somewhat differently than our family pet dog. You can quickly distinguish a working dog from a non-working dog. Those little rat terriers that are yapping? That golden sitting in the booth next to their owner, the barking or lunging dog? Yea, they ain't no working dog! And shame on those POS humans for putting their dogs in that place. 

Also, to those POS's (and they are the worst of the worst humans), we actually can ask you questions about your service dog:

1. Is the animal a service dog required for a disability? 

2. What work or task has your dog been trained to perform. 

As you can see, I have no empathy for liars that claim their dogs for emotional support, or other reasons. I want my dogs around all the time too. But, I'm not so dull as to think they can be. 

How can you not love those faces......!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i love a four year old resuscitated thread as much as the next guy, but i have only read the new posts, so forgive me if this has been mentioned. also, i have no dog in this hunt (see what i did there?), except to say that i am disappointed and disheartened at the increasing acceptance of so-called-service dogs (service animals can only be dogs or horses, by the way) in supermarkets, retail stores, theatres and such. most of the time, they are not service dogs at all. it's a big problem for businesses, as they are limited, by law, by what they can do and say when a customer declares a dog a "service animal."

(again, i'm talking about imposters here and not genuine service animals.)

an emotional support animal is not a service animal; there are clear distinctions. and emotional support animals, such as your emotional support goldfish or hamster or giraffe, have limited legal protections and most of those apply to housing discrimination. (you can't be denied housing for you and your emotional support ocelot, for instance, even if your landlord or homeowner's association has a "no pets" policy.)

USA law changed a few years ago with regard to travel and airlines now have strict rules regarding service dogs and ESAs. In general, service dogs are allowed to fly with their owner, with proper documentation, and service animals must travel as pets.

i myself would love to cruise with a dog, but i agree with those who have posted that a cruise with dogs would be a logistical nightmare and pose a risk to the safety, serenity and health of the passengers.

• Thanks 1