Service dogs on board ship

NH Cruisers

I was perusing the RCCL boards and came across a thread about emotional support dogs on board.

In 18 or so cruises I have yet to see that.  Is that allowed on NCL ships?

Evidently it is not so rare on RCCL ships.  I never saw it.  But the folks are pretty irate, they got a photo of a little dog sitting in the buffet area in a seat.  It is alone and obviously doesn't appear to be a support dog.

Just wondering if any one has seen this in the past 15 or so years on NCL?

Yes we had one on an NCL cruise. Owner was in my solo group. Veteran needed the emotional support. The dog wasn't huge and crawled under table at meals. NCL provided a relief area. I don't like pets but found a way to deal with this scenario. 

Here's what the NCL site says:

Service Dogs

Norwegian Cruise Line accepts service dogs that are trained to perform a specific task. A service dog may be needed for many different conditions, which would be acceptable under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines.

In accordance with the ADA, Norwegian Cruise Line does NOT accept “Emotional Support” dogs as service dogs, they CANNOT sail.

• Guests must provide copies of the dog’s current vaccination records that show all shots are up-to-date (including Rabies), as well as a USDA or International Health certificate
  • Guests are responsible for checking with all ports of call for any special requirements they may have. Guests are responsible for bringing all food, medication and life jacket for the dog
  • A sand box will be provided

All guests traveling with service animals must book at least two weeks in advance to allow sufficient time to check with each port of call and provide Norwegian Cruise Line with all required documentation.

For additional information, call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com, or have your travel agent contact us.

• Like 1

Never seen one on NCL, MSC or Carnival.  Have seen a half dozen on different RCCL cruises, but I’ve heard they are cracking down on pets on board.

Like most, if you have a guide dog for the sight impaired, etc, I support that.  What I’ve seen, however, aren’t thos types of pets.  I’ve seen dogs paraded around in strollers, in little dresses, sitting in chairs at dining areas, etc.  There is no place on a cruise for those.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, YVRBassElectric said:

NCL terms specifically ban "Emotional Support Dogs" as they aren't covered under ADA (I think that's the law, I'm Canadian)

Service dogs that are trained for a specific purpose are allowed (Guide dogs for the blind etc)

The Veteran I referred to is managing PTSD, a medical or therapeutic diagnosis so perhaps my use of "emotional" isn't the right word as meant in the NCL policy. The dog sailed in November 2017.

As mentioned there was a notice in the Daily mentioning the animal. 

Edited by Nola26

You cannot always tell by looking at a person if they are disabled. Also you have no idea what the service dog is used for. Many times people assume the dog is an emotional support dog and get angry.  There are all types of certified service dogs.  Dogs can just hang next to their owner but alert their owner when their insulin is running low in extreme cases.  Everyone always assumes if its not a seeing eye dog, its not a legal certified service dog.  NCL has the policy of almost every business.  Most businesses do not accept or recognize emotional support animals.  However there are some that do.  Remember the airline that drew the line at the emotional support squirrel a woman wanted to board with.

My point is to not assume the person is not disabled because you don't see an outward disability and not assume a dog is an emotional support dog because you don't seen an outward disability.    If I saw a dog on a cruise ship, I would not assume its an emotional support dog because I would be surprised the cruise line would allow it.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

My point is to not assume the person is not disabled because you don't see an outward disability and not assume a dog is an emotional support dog because you don't seen an outward disability.  

I agree 100%.

The problem is compounded by the fraudulent people who take advantage of the system. There are people who will put their pet in a vest and claim that it is a service dog (it isn't). The general public can't tell the difference so these pets give real, trained service dogs a bad name. 

• Like 9

It's not always true, but most of the time it's pretty clear if a "support dog" is NOT a real "service dog", from it's behavior.

Service animals, including dogs, are very well trained.  They do not "act like pets", because... they aren't just pets, although there may well be a similar very close emotional attachment (as there is with law enforcement and their official canine partners, for example).

And other examples of "usually unseen" disability needs, besides the blood sugar detection, would be the ability to seek help.get attention/notify others if an owner has a seizure, or such.  There are many ways a service animal can assist.

But again, these dogs don't jump around on furniture, they don't run over to sniff people, or try to get petted or some treat or whatever.  

I remember quite a few years ago, there was a very different service animal on a flight, noticed at the gate waiting area.

There was a small animal carrier, and a sign that stated that a service monkey had completed training, and was being moved to live with its new owner.  (This is a real "thing", although far more rare than service dogs.)  I don't know how common carriers handle these, when there are real medical reasons, etc., for the service needed.  In this case, the monkey was indeed out of the carrier - but NOT wandering around! - in the waiting area, and most people were incredibly interested, and watching from reasonable distances.  Again, it was well trained, and didn't "do anything" or interact at all with other people there.

GC

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

The Veteran I referred to is managing PTSD, a medical or therapeutic diagnosis so perhaps my use of "emotional" isn't the right word as meant in the NCL policy. The dog sailed in November 2017.

As mentioned there was a notice in the Daily mentioning the animal. 

His dog was a service dog, not an emotional support dog, which is a totally different thing.  PTSD is a covered disibility by the ADA.

BTW, a service dog is allowed in any public building, whereas an emotional support, by law, is not allowed in any public building that doesn't allow all dogs.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 3

We had a service dog on board, his owner was a veteran, and I didn't see an obvious disability.  That didn't mean he didn't have a disability.  I never saw the dog perform any tasks, but that doesn't mean he didn't.  The dog's name was Moose, he was friendly and much better mannered than some of my fellow passenger.  The fact that he was onboard was noted in the freestyle daily.  I am glad that this individual was able to cruise and bring his service dog.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, misguy said:

We had a service dog on board, his owner was a veteran, and I didn't see an obvious disability.  That didn't mean he didn't have a disability.  I never saw the dog perform any tasks, but that doesn't mean he didn't.  The dog's name was Moose, he was friendly and much better mannered than some of my fellow passenger.  The fact that he was onboard was noted in the freestyle daily.  I am glad that this individual was able to cruise and bring his service dog.

Unless the Veteran was having an anxiety attack in front of you, I doubt you would ever see the dog performing his/her duties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

remember quite a few years ago, there was a very different service animal on a flight, noticed at the gate waiting area.

There was a small animal carrier, and a sign that stated that a service monkey had completed training, and was being moved to live with its new owner.  (This is a real "thing", although far more rare than service dogs.)  I don't know how common carriers handle these, when there are real medical reasons, etc., for the service needed.  In this case, the monkey was indeed out of the carrier - but NOT wandering around! - in the waiting area, and most people were incredibly interested, and watching from reasonable distances.  Again, it was well trained, and didn't "do anything" or interact at all with other people there.

Monkeys, how ever well trained, are not recognized as service animals under the ADA. Only dogs and miniature horses are recognized.

4 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Monkeys, how ever well trained, are not recognized as service animals under the ADA. Only dogs and miniature horses are recognized.

I understand that, which is why I emphasized the past history.

However, as an aside, I assume that some of these monkeys still are trained for certain tasks that could not possibly be done by a dog (and certainly not a miniature horse).

I was simply adding more information about how there are a variety of tasks that service animals can do, including those I also mentioned, such as detecting seizures, along with many other helpful or even life-saving tasks... that it certainly isn't just things like "seeing eye dogs"...

At no time did I suggest service monkeys are required to be allowed anywhere at all per ADA.

[However, whether various common carriers or hotels/etc., are willing to deal with these (when properly documented) is an open question.  That's totally different from what they are *required* to do under ADA.  I happened to find it fascinating what some animals could in fact be trained to assist with, and just mentioned that there was such a thing as a service monkey.  I was not the only person who was fascinated at the airport that day.  Also, note my mention of the carrier, and how the monkey was being "moved" to a new owner.  It was not "in service" then, anyway, so ADA or no ADA, there wasn't an issue.  It was no different than, say, carrying on board a pet cat in a carrier, which has been allowed for many years, and I suspect it still is, having seen several very recently.  They aren't allowed by ADA as "service animals", but they can still be brought on board in a proper carrier, etc., depending upon the rules of each airline.]

GC

2 hours ago, Battle Bots said:

Emotional support is a total joke and a sham which is why it is not covered by the ADA which recognizes legitimate disabilities.

Could agree more. Those owners don't want to spend the money for boarding or have decided they can't survive in public without little ______________. 

A service dog has one duty and that is to serve it's owner.  It is also spayed/neutered because it can't have other duties. A service dog is not to be petted. In a news item recently, there was a couple with 2 dogs at the airport wearing service animal vests. The female had pups in baggage claim. Those were not service dogs.

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction

6 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

His dog was a service dog, not an emotional support dog, which is a totally different thing.  PTSD is a covered disibility by the ADA.

BTW, a service dog is allowed in any public building, whereas an emotional support, by law, is not allowed in any public building that doesn't allow all dogs.

Thanks, the dog had definitely gone through specific training. I don't recall if it wore Service Animal "clothes", but maybe. The Veteran was grateful for this solution, brought back a level of balance and independence for her.

30 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

Thanks, the dog had definitely gone through specific training. I don't recall if it wore Service Animal "clothes", but maybe. The Veteran was grateful for this solution, brought back a level of balance and independence for her.

True service dogs are not required to wear a vest, etc.  and I have never seen a true service dog in an outfit, in a stroller, sitting on a chair, being fed from a table, etc..

• Like 1