Carnival Sunshine Food Secrets

PHILnBETH

This sounds like a great topic!  We were on the Sunshine in 2015, and we will return in July!  I can't wait!  We'll be getting Cheers! this time (for the first time) so I'm also interested in drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) that might make this trip special!

We ate at JiJi's last time.  I got a little seasick that night, but it was still amazing!  

14 minutes ago, PHILnBETH said:

We're heading out on the Carnival Sunshine next month and we're wondering if anyone has any must try's or secret food items that you would recommend ordering.

Sunshine has breakfast pizzas at the pizza area on Lido. I never tried one, I meant to, they looked yummy! 

10 minutes ago, KimEadler said:

This sounds like a great topic!  We were on the Sunshine in 2015, and we will return in July!  I can't wait!  We'll be getting Cheers! this time (for the first time) so I'm also interested in drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) that might make this trip special!

We ate at JiJi's last time.  I got a little seasick that night, but it was still amazing!  

The Alchemy Bar has the BEST drinks. Try the Remedy or the Deal Closer. Oh and Red Frog Pub has a Rum Jumper, it’s yummy too! 

• Like 2

We always brought our lunch food back to the tables along the windows behind JiJi's and the Italian venues and in front of the Havana Bar regardless of where we got it ... Guys, the Deli, the buffet, Mexican, Asian, Italian.  😀  We could always get a table with a view and it was less hectic than the Lido Buffet tables.

• Like 1

On embarkation day ONLY they offer pretty good barbecue (pork and chicken, maybe beef too if I remember correct) on Deck 5 (Ocean Plaza Area)  at lunchtime. Worth checking out. Very few people know about it. And it gets you away from the lunchtime madness of embarkation day on the Lido deck for awhile. You can always check out Guy’s Burgers and Blue Iguana later. I highly recommend paying the modest up charge and going to Ji Ji Asian Restaurant for dinner. You get to try a lot of neat new things and they serve you plenty of food. You won’t be hungry after dinner at Ji Ji’s. Have a good time on your cruise.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 6:53 PM, pirate4me2 said:

Sunshine has breakfast pizzas at the pizza area on Lido. I never tried one, I meant to, they looked yummy! 

Well, technically any pizza can be breakfast pizza :classic_laugh: But seriously, I will definitely have to look for that!

Just got off Sunshine's Journey cruise. Fourth time I've sailed this ship, once as Destiny. Ji Ji's is a must! It was incredible first time, even better this last time. Make sure you try the duck + the pork belly. Also, as mentioned, Cuban Bites and Blue Iguana both very good.

16 hours ago, CRocks said:

Ji Ji's is a must! It was incredible first time, even better this last time.

We kinda went back and forth on whether or not we wanted to try it for dinner, but after everybody who mentions it says it's a must try, I recently went ahead and made reservations for the 2nd elegant night. We would like for my In-laws to join us, but they are not exactly "adventurous" when it come to "exotic" cuisine, their idea of Chinese food is fried rice and egg rolls. Do you or anyone else think they will like it?   

Schazzy, do an online search for Ji Ji Asian menu. Have your in laws take a look at the menu. Ji Ji serves family style so your group will pick 2 or 3 menu items from each menu category. Some things are more exotic than others. They’ll find something they like. This is the perfect opportunity to try something exotic sounding. It’s all very good. And the worse case scenario is your in laws don’t like it and go over the buffet and get something else. Trust me. They will love Ji Ji’s.

• Thanks 1

Lunch in the Havana Bar area. So good, but never really advertised much. It is not a whole buffet, but six or eight really tasty Cuban themed tasty treats that if I could have grabbed the whole trays and run off with I would have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We just got back from a 9 Day Western Charter on the Sunshine.

Jiji's was awesome.  If you can go with a larger group (we had 8 ) they serve everything Family Style and you get a great selection of items to try.

Everyone else in our group went to Cucina del Capitano the night we did the Chef's Table and they all raved about it.

The Chef's Table was great if you can get in.

I never made it to the Havana Cuban Bites, but others said it was very good.

They had the BBQ in the Ocean Plaza on 2 of the 4 Sea days, as well as on Embarkation.  It was only really noted in the list of food venues in the Fun Times for those days, so it was easy to miss.  This was really good with BBQ Beef, Pulled Pork, BBQ Chicken, baked beans, cole slaw, potato Salad, and a choice of 3 BBQ sauces.

For Draft Beer the Red Frog Pub (right near the BBQ!) was the best spot for me.  They had a decent selection and had one of my favorites - Newcastle Brown Ale, on tap.

As others have stated the Alchemy Bar (also near the BBQ!) is always a great choice.  Put your trust in the mixologist and you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1