New Attraction - St Thomas Cycle Boats!

Ms411

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you're on Royal Caribbean ship, the dock for the cycle boat is across the street - about a 5 minute walk to the ship.

All other ships dock about 4 miles away so you'll need a taxi to get you back by 4:30. You'll need to ask the boat captain if he can have a taxi waiting when the boat returns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anne Marie was our fearsome and awesome captain who got run over by a car a few days prior. She was very engaging and had lots of fun stories.  She was not your typical tour boat captain - part pirate for sure. However, we never felt unsafe. She knew was she was doing along with her first mate Valley. 

Pedaling is completely optional. There is a motor and I don’t think any of our pedaling  helped at all.

The rum punch  was much better than we expected, however be forewarned. It’s very effective.  

The ride from the dock to water Island was about 35 minutes. Water Island wasn’t the best beach stop in the world, but it was fun for an hour and a half.  The ride from the dock to water island was about 35 minutes.   Pretty small but not overcrowded. We got drinks and (very rare) hamburgers at Heidi’s. One of apparently two bars but we never made it to the other one. 

There were several other large tour boats that had 100+ people on them from the cruise ships. Personally we prefer smaller numbers so this was great for us. We maybe also lucked out and had a fun group on our the cycle boat. But also maybe this is also a tour more outgoing people sign up for since it is smaller and possibly more active if you choose it to be. 

I would definitely do this over a big tour boat to water island. And it would be a ton of fun if you had your own group of 10 or so. 

there are 10 cycles and I guess the max of 16 would mean the other 6 would be sitting on the back bench or standing around.  

Edited by cindivan

46 minutes ago, cindivan said:

Anne Marie was our fearsome and awesome captain who got run over by a car a few days prior. She was very engaging and had lots of fun stories.  She was not your typical tour boat captain - part pirate for sure. However, we never felt unsafe. She knew was she was doing along with her first mate Valley. 

Pedaling is completely optional. There is a motor and I don’t think any of our pedaling  helped at all.

The rum punch  was much better than we expected, however be forewarned. It’s very effective.  

The ride from the dock to water Island was about 35 minutes. Water Island wasn’t the best beach stop in the world, but it was fun for an hour and a half.  The ride from the dock to water island was about 35 minutes.   Pretty small but not overcrowded. We got drinks and (very rare) hamburgers at Heidi’s. One of apparently two bars but we never made it to the other one. 

There were several other large tour boats that had 100+ people on them from the cruise ships. Personally we prefer smaller numbers so this was great for us. We maybe also lucked out and had a fun group on our the cycle boat. But also maybe this is also a tour more outgoing people sign up for since it is smaller and possibly more active if you choose it to be. 

I would definitely do this over a big tour boat to water island. And it would be a ton of fun if you had your own group of 10 or so. 

there are 10 cycles and I guess the max of 16 would mean the other 6 would be sitting on the back bench or standing around.  

Thanks for the review, sounds like a great time. What's that buggy cost pp?

Thanks Todd

8 hours ago, Ms411 said:

She got run over by a car a few days prior????? Explain that one, please! Thanks for posting!

OMG!! Ms411 you are hilarious!! "she got run over by a car" that's the best one ever, and you all think I'm bad. 

Looking forward to the explanation too.

Thanks for a great thread!! 

On 11/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, TTEllis said:

Thanks for the review, sounds like a great time. What's that buggy cost pp?

Thanks Todd

I think there is different pricing for different times.  Ours was $77 per person after taxes. 

Edited by cindivan

On 11/15/2019 at 11:46 PM, Ms411 said:

She got run over by a car a few days prior????? Explain that one, please! Thanks for posting!

She had some abrasions on her face and one of the first things she said was “let me address the elephant in the room” or similar and explained why it looked like she had been in a fight. 

She explained she was walking in a parking lot (and admitted she was texting while walking) when a car hit her and drove off. She was knocked out and luckily a friend saw what happened and helped her. 

it didn’t affect her driving. 

As I mentioned before she was part pirate part captain. 😏

Edited by cindivan

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sailing on the Celebrity summit and thinking about this Cycleboats excursion.. We were in St Thomas last year and did the Celebrity excursion to Sapphire Beach.. It was so rushed and such a disappointment.  This sounds really fun, but my other choice is to just take a cab to Sapphire Beach on my own and rent chairs and relax...Opinions

You have more flexibility if you DIY to Sapphire or any other beach. The cycle boat goes to Honeymoon which can get crowded because so many boats go there. Get to Sapphire early so you can settle in a good spot for the day.

Apples or oranges?

Cycle boat is more interactive with other guests and captain.  And a five minute walk from ship, fun bar next to the boat where we had a few drinks before the boat took off. 

Sapphire beach on your own might be more relaxing and private?  Not sure how hard it is to get chairs etc. 

I think both sound fun. Depends what you are in the mood for. 

Edited by cindivan