Temperature on board

cairokid

We’re a group of 10 ladies who are going to the Northern Lights on Aurora in March. We’re taking lots of warm clothing for outside but are concerned about what to wear on board. A couple of people have mentioned that it is about 28 degs on the ship. Is that true? That is incredibly warm. 

I misread it - they said 26 not 28, but that’s still a heck of a lot warmer than normal comfort conditions. Someone else told me you can wear bare shoulders. She also said it was a similar temperature to a posh hotel, but I rarely go to posh hotels so that doesn’t help, 😀

They really need to turn it down for the northern lights otherwise we’ll be roasting and constantly having to change every time we get back to ship or want to go outside.  It’s more difficult to bring clothes for a massive range of temperatures.  Perhaps someone who has been on these winter Norway cruises can clarify please. 

We have cruised on Aurora within the Arctic circle and within the tropics. At all times the internal temperature has been normal around 20C. The cabins have a thermostat so you can set to whatever you want.

Brian

You can control your cabin temperature, but not the rest of the ship.  In very cold outside temperatures the ships heating will increase the inside temp., primarily to offset the cold winds that come through the opening of outside doors.  However it is very rarely uncomfortable, and not in the cruise lines interest to waste unnecessary energy, nor to make passengers uncomfortable, but you won't need fur coats and mittens inside the ship. 

I have not been on this particular cruise, but I always find that I am too cold inside cruise ships!  I have been on Mediterranean cruises in Mid July and have to go outside to warm up!!  

As always, I am sure that layers is the way to go. 

+  have a great cruise.  I need (not want) to do a Northern Lights trip one day:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

9 hours ago, cairokid said:

We’re a group of 10 ladies who are going to the Northern Lights on Aurora in March. We’re taking lots of warm clothing for outside but are concerned about what to wear on board. A couple of people have mentioned that it is about 28 degs on the ship. Is that true? That is incredibly warm. 

I’m pleased to reassure you that what you have been told is complete nonsense. We did the March Northern Lights Cruise on Aurora last year and are doing it again next month (probably on the one you are on). 

The temperature inside the ship is no different to any other cruise. I don’t know what the precise temperature is but 20 degrees, as someone else said, sounds about right. You will neither need jumpers (to stay warm) or t-shirts (to stay cool). You can just dress ‘normally’. There is one exception to this and that is anywhere near the access gangways on the lower decks when in port (lift areas, cabin corridors nearby, lower atrium etc) where it is perishing as an icy draught gushes through the open door. Public areas near there would be unusable during those times. 

We also found that the outside temperatures were somewhat exaggerated. We had people on our cruise claiming that it was something like minus 28 degrees outside. It was actually about minus 10 degrees. Also, there was very little wind (other than when at sea) so there was no added wind chill factor. When outside on deck or ashore we wore lined trousers, lined shirts, jumper, warm coat, hat (face protection needed), gloves with glove liners and two pairs of socks. We coped quite adequately for long periods dressed like that. 

Thank you Selbourne. That’s really helpful and I will pass it on to the others.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘lined shirts’ though. I’m borrowing some ski trousers from my daughter for outside and they are lined and padded, but was just going to wear 2 or 3 layers on the top part of my body.

2 hours ago, cairokid said:

Thank you Selbourne. That’s really helpful and I will pass it on to the others.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘lined shirts’ though. I’m borrowing some ski trousers from my daughter for outside and they are lined and padded, but was just going to wear 2 or 3 layers on the top part of my body.

I found some shirts at Cotton Traders that had a sort of T-Shirt liner built inside. I did wear a thermal vest under them as well (forgot to mention that previously) but layers will do the same job. 

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I’m pleased to reassure you that what you have been told is complete nonsense. We did the March Northern Lights Cruise on Aurora last year and are doing it again next month (probably on the one you are on). 

The temperature inside the ship is no different to any other cruise. I don’t know what the precise temperature is but 20 degrees, as someone else said, sounds about right. You will neither need jumpers (to stay warm) or t-shirts (to stay cool). You can just dress ‘normally’. There is one exception to this and that is anywhere near the access gangways on the lower decks when in port (lift areas, cabin corridors nearby, lower atrium etc) where it is perishing as an icy draught gushes through the open door. Public areas near there would be unusable during those times. 

We also found that the outside temperatures were somewhat exaggerated. We had people on our cruise claiming that it was something like minus 28 degrees outside. It was actually about minus 10 degrees. Also, there was very little wind (other than when at sea) so there was no added wind chill factor. When outside on deck or ashore we wore lined trousers, lined shirts, jumper, warm coat, hat (face protection needed), gloves with glove liners and two pairs of socks. We coped quite adequately for long periods dressed like that. 

Whilst in port at Alta and Tromso the temperature was cold but sunny and sensible layered clothing and good boots/shoes were a necessity because of the amount of snow. On our "In search of the Northern Lights" excursion in Alta when were taken away from the town and into the countryside and was out until midnight the temperature indeed did reach -26c and that is no exaggeration but you are unlikely to have those temps during the day. Looking at daily temperatures this week in Alta they average between -6c and -13c but it doesnt really feel that cold because of no wind or chill factor.

Edited by majortom10