MDR attire for men

Mommawo

Other than formal nights would dressy shorts and polo shirt be acceptable attire for a man ? I noticed someone say no jeans.  Hubby would normally wear nice jeans and a button up shirt out to dinner. Soooo what exactly is the dress code ? Don’t wanna break the rules we are rule followers lol but does he have to wear  khakis every evening?

Enforcement of the below is spotty at best. Dress for your comfort and enjoyment. Keep in mind, if you don't follow the rules, you may be asked to change.

From Carnival.com:

Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire.

Lido Restaurant 

For those who want casual attire for dinner, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. Daytime Attire may be worn. 

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are notpermitted.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings / Formal Nights

The length of the cruise determines the number of  'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings
  • Like 1

Only been on one cruise, back in 2015. That being said, I wore a pair of jeans and a collard shirt. Shoes were a black pair of Reebok's. On Formal night, I wore a coat and tie with slacks and dress shoes. I think your husband would be fine in a pair of nice jeans. Don't think shorts are allowed, but others have said that some ships don't really enforce that. 

This is just my experience. Others may have more\different info than I do. Hope it helps. 

13 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

Other than formal nights would dressy shorts and polo shirt be acceptable attire for a man ? I noticed someone say no jeans.  Hubby would normally wear nice jeans and a button up shirt out to dinner. Soooo what exactly is the dress code ? Don’t wanna break the rules we are rule followers lol but does he have to wear  khakis every evening?

I wear jeans and a polo on non-formal nights. Dockers and a button down on formal nights.

I have seen anything and everything in the MDR from jeans, shorts, flip flops, dress slacks, etc.  I typically wear khakis and a polo or dress shirt to dinner every night.  The wife and I think of cruise dinners as a nice night out.  We are usually getting great service and want to dress for the occasion.  For formal nights I have done both a Tuxedo and just a suit.  

6 minutes ago, Lechon said:

just wondering where does a hoody fall into all this, LOL...

I would guess good for casual but not elegant. Of course last cruise I had a table next to me where on elegant night half of them were wearing shorts and t-shirts and the other half were wearing wind suits.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I wear jeans and a polo on non-formal nights. Dockers and a button down on formal nights.

48 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I would guess good for casual but not elegant. Of course last cruise I had a table next to me where on elegant night half of them were wearing shorts and t-shirts and the other half were wearing wind suits.

Well that’s classing  it up with the wind Suits

well, suits are in the rules...i guess they didn't say what kind.:classic_blink:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/5/2019 at 2:59 PM, Mommawo said:

We just got off the Ecstacy last week. Had one formal night. Saw one man with a sports jacket. Most people wore there best Walmart attire. I wore dress pants and a nice shirt. Alot people had on there nicest work tee shirts and shorts. Anything goes!

Well that’s classing  it up with the wind Suits

Nice shorts are fine.

Jeans are fine.  Jeans are probably even fine with a decent t-shirt.

I usually just do jeans or khakis with a collared polo shirt if I am doing the MDR.

I leave my confederate flag shirt and MAGA hat for other dining venues.

(kidding)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, bowlinmoe said:

Nice shorts are fine.

Jeans are fine.  Jeans are probably even fine with a decent t-shirt.

I usually just do jeans or khakis with a collared polo shirt if I am doing the MDR.

I leave my confederate flag shirt and MAGA hat for other dining venues.

(kidding)

Hahahhaha dang I can’t wear those!!!???? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Ball cap turned sideways , paints down to your knees with a wife beater T shirt. you're good to go.:classic_blink:

Bwahahahaha yeah hubby wouldn’t be caught dead in that. But thanks for the laughs this morning as I sit with my coffee in my massage chair picturing hubby in that 

7 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

Bwahahahaha yeah hubby wouldn’t be caught dead in that. But thanks for the laughs this morning as I sit with my coffee in my massage chair picturing hubby in that 

Good Morning :classic_biggrin: !  Spewing coffee on my monitor screen is about the only way I will clean it regularly 😀

I love it when people have a sense of humor on these boards.   Just for the heck of it find a Ball Cap and place it on his head side ways and then say , NAAAA ! :classic_laugh:

Edited by BoDidly
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Good Morning :classic_biggrin: !  Spewing coffee on my monitor screen is about the only way I will clean it regularly 😀

I love it when people have a sense of humor on these boards.   Just for the heck of it find a Ball Cap and place it on his head side ways and then say , NAAAA ! :classic_laugh:

Lol I appreciate a sense of humor as well.  Sometimes I think I probably offend people in here being silly. 

My hubby wears slacks & collared shirt on formal nights if he doesn't go all out with a suit.  The other nights, he wears jeans with a collared shirt.  He wears black tennis shoes with his slacks if he's not going all out.  I know that our friend wore cargo shorts in the dining room.  One of those nights was formal night & I think the only reason he was let in was because there were 6 of us and he did not have any pants to change into.  The maitre d just stated loudly that if luggage was lost, there was nothing he could do.  Once we sat down, no one could see his legs anyway between the tablecloth & the other 5 of us at the table.

• Like 1

On elegant night I'll wear a suit and tie.

On casual nights I'll wear dark jeans or slacks with a polo or button down, or I'll go a little more comfortable with some chino shorts, short-sleeve button down, and boat shoes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

You gonna leave wine out and mark it?

I’m not going to risk losing good alcohol. I was thinking a little water...a little crystal light...in the empty bottle. 

Edited by Saint Greg