MDR attire for men

Mommawo

On 2/5/2019 at 10:40 AM, Mommawo said:

Other than formal nights would dressy shorts and polo shirt be acceptable attire for a man ? I noticed someone say no jeans.  Hubby would normally wear nice jeans and a button up shirt out to dinner. Soooo what exactly is the dress code ? Don’t wanna break the rules we are rule followers lol but does he have to wear  khakis every evening?

Shorts will be fine.

For formal night, I wear new Levis (wife refers wranglers, but I was raised with 501s), a dress shirt w/tie and a sport jacket. She wears a nice dress. I believe that is very acceptable. We have seen military in class A uniforms, Pipers in full dress kilts etc. I have a Class A uniform, but I'm vacation and that things is hot and bulky.

Casual nights, we just wear nice clothes, (for her that is something new and for me that is something clean). I hope this helps.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:48 PM, JennyB1977 said:

Enforcement of the below is spotty at best. Dress for your comfort and enjoyment. Keep in mind, if you don't follow the rules, you may be asked to change.

From Carnival.com:

Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire.

Lido Restaurant 

For those who want casual attire for dinner, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly and has a more relaxed theme. Daytime Attire may be worn. 

The Steakhouse

The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the Main Dining Room(s); if the evening is specified as 'Cruise Casual', shorts are notpermitted.

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings / Formal Nights

The length of the cruise determines the number of  'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

I've been on 39 CCL cruises I eat in the MDR. I have never seen somebody asked to leave because of the way their Dressed and I've seen it all.

Gary  

Edited by shipbound2
sentence structure
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, shipbound2 said:

I've been on 39 CCL cruises I eat in the MDR. I have never seen somebody asked to leave because of the way their Dressed and I've seen it all.

Gary  

Thanks for posting that. It helps a lot 

OK, here are the Facts!.......you are on vacation.  You will see all kinds of stuff in the MDR..  some amazing, some perfectly suitable, and some nasty!!  Are Jeans ok, yes yes..  if they are clean and presentable yes.  Are nice shorts and a polo ok, HELL YES, because it is what I wear every evening into the MDR.  Khaki shorts and a button down or nice polo!!  Always have, always will!!!!!

Tell you hubby to pack his jeans or shorts and enjoy the cruise!!!!!!!!!

COPIED AND PASTED FROM CARNIVAL FAQ

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, roundrockhorn said:

Only been on one cruise, back in 2015. That being said, I wore a pair of jeans and a collard shirt. Shoes were a black pair of Reebok's. On Formal night, I wore a coat and tie with slacks and dress shoes. I think your husband would be fine in a pair of nice jeans. Don't think shorts are allowed, but others have said that some ships don't really enforce that. 

This is just my experience. Others may have more\different info than I do. Hope it helps. 

"Collard shirt"?

col·lards

Dictionary result for collards

/ˈkälərdz/
noun
DIALECTNORTH AMERICAN
noun: collard
  1. a cabbage of a variety that does not develop a heart.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, Mommawo said:

Other than formal nights would dressy shorts and polo shirt be acceptable attire for a man ? I noticed someone say no jeans.  Hubby would normally wear nice jeans and a button up shirt out to dinner. Soooo what exactly is the dress code ? Don’t wanna break the rules we are rule followers lol but does he have to wear  khakis every evening?

From what I heard, neat jeans without rips would be allowed. My hubby is the same way, as he’d prefer to always just wear jeans or shorts, but I’m packing him khaki pants and polos for dining room. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, Mommawo said:

Khakis are definitely not required every night. To be honest, my husband usually wears a t shirt and khaki shorts to dinner on casual nights. On elegant night he wears a suit. I would say the vast majority of people wear something similar, except for the husbands of wives who go all out every night, they are usually better dressed. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 2:27 AM, CA_Cruzing said:

I wear clean underwear. Not that you asked but I thought it important to share. 

Your mother always said to wear clean underwear in case you get into a car accident and need to go to the hospital.  The closest thing to a car accident on a cruise ship would be if you got run over by someone in a wheelchair on HAL as they were rushing to make bingo or their dinner at 5:00.

• Haha 1

DH wears a teeshirt and 'church jeans' (dark wash, usually pressed) to dinner every night. On elegant night, he wears a polo. Otherwise..eh. I've seen it all, including a "formal" onesie on a collage age woman (it was linen, I think, and had a flower print. It looked like something that a toddler would wear for Easter, otherwise) and a guy wearing a MAGA hat with a shirt with something foul printed on it. Nobody was turned away.

My son usually wears a hoodie year round...and onboard ship is no exception. I don't know if it's just because it's bloody cold on board when you're inside or it's a comfort thing (because he's autistic) or both. Probably both.

I usually wear a nice blouse, 'church jeans', nice shoes and one of my handmade shawls for elegant night. Not that y'all asked, but there it is. 😄

• Like 1