EDGE AQUA CLASS REVIEW ....1/27/19, Eastern Carib...by Hcat

hcat

When you see my  Blu view photo you will cringe..( e mailed it awhile ago)

We heard an unsubstantiated rumor  (triple hearsay at least) that there was some  early idea floated to combine BLU and Luminae..and when that did not fly,, Blu got it's  present location where initially  more stores were to be located.  Sounds totally odd  and off the wall but  made great dinner conversation in BLU!

For folks new to AQ and late diners,  they will adore BLU !

We are going to get the thermal suite pass for our next non AQ cruise....open to change!

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

When you see my  Blu view photo you will cringe..( e mailed it awhile ago)

We heard an unsubstantiated rumor  (triple hearsay at least) that there was some  early idea floated to combine BLU and Luminae..and when that did not fly,, Blu got it's  present location where initially  more stores were to be located.  Sounds totally odd  and off the wall but  made great dinner conversation in BLU!

For folks new to AQ and late diners,  they will adore BLU !

We are going to get the thermal suite pass for our next non AQ cruise....open to change!

Very interesting about possibly combining Blu and Luminae and then sticking Blu in Tiffany country - it does make some sense.

9 hours ago, hcat said:

ACOUSTICS:

Sorry to say this  loud environment makes BLU a  much less attractive perk of Aquaclass!  All the good food and great service cannot overcome the loudness of the room.! 

(We are glad we  did not book AQ class for our next EDGE cruise)

I now realize we really lucked out in Blu table location!  As you said, some locations are better than others. So sorry the acoustics were so bad. Very interesting about the next-to-Tiffany shop-conversion rumor.

We arrived early and requested a table for our group of four+dog against a wall at a corner the first night. The staff offered an ideal location by the (non-view) window wall - where we were then seated almost every night, and the acoustics were not too bad there.

We really enjoyed our first Blu experience and will book it again on the other ships now that Luminae’s Sky Suite prices have almost doubled. We would have booked Blu for Apex in 2020, but the only Blu option is an IV, which I’m avoiding. So we booked a Sunset Veranda.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We were offered a chance  by Maitre D and hostess Roxanna ( both very lovely and hardworking people),  to try other spots in BLU but stayed put..We really liked our waiter Gede ( good day!) , our asst  Aria, as well as those we  loosely shared the area with.. Service was top notch..!

Not their fault  kitchen was so backed up...  one night some diners left early to make the 7 pm show...which was  reported be much less crowded!

Dinner times were adjusted  at one point so more could get to the 7 pm show

Places we almost tried for dinner..

Rooftop Grill

Just before we cruised, we cancelled the Lawn Club Grill after sev reports of it being  too windy,  flying salad and sewer odors.  We have a res for Nov and hope it will be wind shielded by then..not sure why sewer odors??? Anyone?

Fine Cut Steakhouse

We went to  confirm our res the evening before as we usually do..We learned we had been put in a later slot...no notice, no call, no note, no sorry?

We had booked that res way way early and expressed  surprise and displeasure . The maitre d was quite officious and said it was to enhance our enjoyment. And that a later time was  better and no big deal....Really?

The place was over booked, we had  no idea why we were bumped and  decided to cancel , which was done grudgingly as if we did something wrong

.  Place was noisy  anyhow.. just off the Grand Plaza  at prime time. It  had self generated noise..poor acoustics. The credit was  put on our acct promptly  most likely because I made them sign my orig paperwork with the notation " canelled"...Always get it in writing!  We may try  to book again in Nov but will follow reviews

Met someone at the Thermal Suite who was with a  family group of 6.  She was not happy that EDEN  restaurant did not honor their longstanding res for the 6 of them at the same time.  They were split 2 at one time and 4 at another, despite a confirmed linked  booking....After  being given a hard time they  cancelled & were waiting more than 2 days for their refunds.  She fit the new demographic , sailing on X for the first time and said it left a bad taste.. 

WHAT'S up with manipulating dining  res without consultation or notice?

The spa asked me to help them out and I switched an appt  They offered  me an extra 20 minutes  as a bonus!  Maybe the restaurants could try a nicer approach.. and add a small discount!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We Edgies need to stick together!  I fact, I think we all should get Edge necklaces so we can recognize each other on future cruises (Bo would look cute in his 😉).  I will put it on my bday list. 🙂

I am in 100  %..  I already love my "Hcat is Sailing on the EDGE" tote!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Places we almost tried for dinner..

Rooftop Grill

Just before we cruised, we cancelled the Lawn Club Grill after sev reports of it being  too windy,  flying salad and sewer odors.  We have a res for Nov and hope it will be wind shielded by then..not sure why sewer odors??? Anyone?

Fine Cut Steakhouse

We went to  confirm our res the evening before as we usually do..We learned we had been put in a later slot...no notice, no call, no note, no sorry?

We had booked that res way way early and expressed  surprise and displeasure . The maitre d was quite officious and said it was to enhance our enjoyment. And that a later time was  better and no big deal....Really?

The place was over booked, we had  no idea why we were bumped and  decided to cancel , which was done grudgingly as if we did something wrong

.  Place was noisy  anyhow.. just off the Grand Plaza  at prime time. It  had self generated noise..poor acoustics. The credit was  put on our acct promptly  most likely because I made them sign my orig paperwork with the notation " canelled"...Always get it in writing!  We may try  to book again in Nov but will follow reviews

Met someone at the Thermal Suite who was with a  family group of 6.  She was not happy that EDEN  restaurant did not honor their longstanding res for the 6 of them at the same time.  They were split 2 at one time and 4 at another, despite a confirmed linked  booking....After  being given a hard time they  cancelled & were waiting more than 2 days for their refunds.  She fit the new demographic , sailing on X for the first time and said it left a bad taste.. 

WHAT'S up with manipulating dining  res without consultation or notice?

The spa asked me to help them out and I switched an appt  They offered  me an extra 20 minutes  as a bonus!  Maybe the restaurants could try a nicer approach.. and add a small discount!

Wow! Sounds like they need to get their act together with reservations.  It probably wouldn't have been a problem for us, if they had asked, but when you pay ahead of time and they switch it without asking (and you have reasons for eating earlier), that is not appropriate (though the fine print allows it, I'm sure).

On some Edge cruises there have been restaurants sold out upon boarding. I imagine they have some squeaky wheels that they are greasing to the detriment of others (hoping they will be flexible). It sounds like they need to get their act together with the dining packages and pre-selling of reservations, maybe keeping more available so that there is more flexibility for those boarding without any reservations (and they probably are trying to keep their upper level suite guests happy too - they may make reservations with the shore concierge just prior to the cruise).

I imagine it was difficult with all new restaurants and maybe a new demographic to guess what restaurants and times would be in demand, so maybe now that they have some experience with what the demands are, they will be able to move forward with a better plan for selling packages and reservations. Let's hope it settles out over time.

9 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We Edgies need to stick together!  I fact, I think we all should get Edge necklaces so we can recognize each other on future cruises (Bo would look cute in his 😉).  I will put it on my bday list. 🙂

Wear your Sea Pass from Edge on a Lanyard during your next cruises.  🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

5 minutes ago, miched said:

Wear your Sea Pass from Edge on a Lanyard during your next cruises.  🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

LOL! Great idea, but even that wouldn't get me to wear a lanyard. A tattoo maybe, but never a lanyard! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, hcat said:

Wow.,,with my type 2,  that late hr would never work. I try  keep my food consumption window to 7 am  through 7  pm...but glad you enjoyed BLU..

Did you go to the early shows?  Much less crowded than the 9 pm!

We are not frequent show attendees.  We did go to 2 shows in the theater , both at 7 and to the performance in Eden that was at 10 or 10:30, time seemed to vary.

Edited by jelayne
Typo

CAN'T WAIT TO  REVIEW THE AMAZING THERMAL SUITES!  

As soon as dh returns from Golf, ,he will assist with photos.  Ever since we  bought a digital photo package on the ship which would not load,  and needed help from the photo guys and the awesome  Apple  tech on board, I have had issues!  Something about google chrome??? He  worked very hard  for almost an hour, and he did get the professional photos downloaded..They are awesome! But  now nothing else seems to work well..

I am using a Samusung android phone, Samsung tablet and downloads from my camera on our laptop .(one we use for records not photos ) This should have been so  easy,,,but is a struggle, I will never attempt another  photo review !  Thanks for your patience  and "assists "everyone!

,Can't wait to get back to NY and visit the Geeks to get it all back to functional,!

Edited by hcat

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

No worries, hcat! You are building suspense!! I am hanging on every word....😀

Ha ha ha.. Dh is working on it but I may have to ask for your help ( or forgiveness) a bit later.,,I will send you one now to post so I can start,,,

Thanks Vt..

EDGE  Thermal Suite Experience:

IT WAS  AMAZING  and AWESOME!  

The Aqua Class  booking includes the upgraded bathroom, fresh brewed teas etc,  only 2 per stateroom so theoretically quieter hallways, ;  BLU  and what is Collectively known as the Thermal Suite..

The Thermal suite  and spa is  accessed off the  Deck 14 Elevators near the Solarium.  There is a  beautiful front desk..behind  which  there is a spural staircase up to the Gym.  There is a  very comfy seating,/ waiting area to the right of the front desk.  

Through a hallway  to the left you can access the Relaxation Room with plush and comfy loungers, amazing sea views and the  juices... You can look out over the outdoor suite area..quite windy out there!   

The R room is a waiting area for those with booked treatments as well as a place for AQ guests to Relax. And be peaceful..quiet was observed during our visit.  .it is kept locked.   At times this R room may be a bit sunny but was perfect when we were there....so lovely!

Just an amazing space..so Zen!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok..so  as anticipated,  the photos i have downloaded to my phone  and tablet from my camera won't upload here..so I will continue on....

As you proceed back into the space,  there is  large  desert dry sauna to rhe left..It had amazing sea views..lots of seating and a safety timer. Only one other person was there ( the woman with the changed EDEN dinner res)

On the other side are the Special showers..Hope they are maintained better than on M and S Class. There is a hallway with group of treatment rooms,  very hot steam turkish bath,  salt room...(amazing,) aromatherapy..The hallways are slippery  Pls watch your step. We were sometimes the only ones or maybe one or two other guests.

An even bigger surprise was the ladies locker room, reg showers bthrm stalls..all accessible The decor was . Spa perfection as it was throughout  Imagine hating to leave the locker room!

The comp products here were not  the CO Bigelow we had in the AQ  stateroom  but seemed very nice!

Overall I rate this  thermal suite area a 10 plus compared to other X ships and many resort spas I have visited over the years...

.Call me SPA Girl..!

Spa services..these are extra charge services,  not AQ  benefits..but to me they are part of the total experience .

I had two  pre booked treatments at port pricing which has now been eliminated.  ( Use Elite duscount instead in the future) Just a basic  Swedish body massage and a Collagen Facial with masque  .no machines.

They were  both excellent..I allowed them to change my massage appt time so they gave me extra time. Yay me..  The therapist Eden..how fitting..was very good and I would ask for her if she is onboard in Nov.. I purchased a new product  frangipani monoi salt glow...body scrub.Love that line of frangipani monoi)  I usually buy my Elemis on line but liked Eden so I let her have the sale..and a nice tip!

The  facial was very good too. I  had a very experienced thrapist and I have a list of a few things to buy online...avoids conflict with dh!  I have regular facials at home but enjoy change now and then.

Thecyreatnent rooms were very nice, spa music, aroma etc..

One spa related fun event was the ladies daytime pamper party..so much fun and a chance to try products..no hard sell afterwards!  It was so entertaining and we had a ball!

The Gym 

not an AQ class item but rounds out the gym, spa , thermal, suites area..

.Located above the spa. with  sea views.   You   can acces by elev or take the spa staircase for extra exercise.

We only went once for our weight machine workput...We walked our tootsies off all week so skipped the treadmills.  The area is new, neat and clean  but had sev subtle floor level changes. We saw more than 1 person stumble.  The equipment was ok..fairly plastic compared to the gym we use at home ..it was not as comfortable,  but that had everything we needed and got the job done

They did push a health eval...sell sell sell ! 

I will try again to post  Thermal Suite photos..if not will ask Vt to assist when sge can..

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

I think loud restaurants are just a thing now

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/11/how-restaurants-got-so-loud/576715/

Until the zeitgeist changes to a different aesthetic with better acoustic muffling, that's the way it's going to be.

Thanks for sharing this  very interesting article.  We have a few restaurants at home that are so loud no one wants to go there except the bar crowd.. 

I find that the noisy din is stressful, curtails conversation,  upsets  proper digestion , and  I want to leave sooner...just to get peace.

Discos should be loud..not dining!

• Like 1