MSC Seaside questions pleaseeee

Itsbeentoolong

Hey guys, 

Wanted to do something special for my 40th and as I love the sea, snorkelling in the Caribbean was my first choice.

the Seaside and one of the small MSC ships are the only ships around the Westen side in September so I have little choice but to look at MSC which I normally wouldn’t but as the islands are the most important I’m happy to give them a try. After reading some reviews I have a few questions. 

1) When’s the best time to book? It’s for September 2020 so I’m only getting a £100 early booking discount but reading the reviews others are getting all sorts of good deals. Drink packages, upgrades, suites the same price as balconies...I want some of that 🙂 

2) Has anyone travelled on the Seaside with small children, I’ll have 2 and a half year old twins at the time, I wouldn’t think about the long flight normally but once they go to school properly we might not get this chance again. Is a balcony cabin suitable for a family of 4 and will their double buggy get around the ship? Probably only use it when we’re getting off the ship. 

3) Is the smoking as bad as I read it is? I have nothing against smokers do what you’re doing but is there enough places to get away from it?

4) What’s the dress code like on MSC? Before kids I loved dressing up but I think it’ll be too much now...more than twice in the 14 nights. The non formal nights are smart jeans and a polo top okay?

5) Is there a daily service charge with MSC it is it just they add the 15% to everything? 

I dare say they’ll be more but that’s enough for now 🙂 

Thanks  

Dean

I was on the seaside January of last year when it was brand new...I've heard that they changed a lot of things due to problems mainly with service,  but I do have some thoughts.

I believe that right now MSC is offering a "Drinks on us" and free wi-fi for the Seaside (just remember, the drinks on us is not as good as it sounds.)  Now probably is the best time to book. 

I don't recall smoking being a big problem.  It is a huge ship and there are quite a few smoking areas, but I think they can be avoided with some planning; and they are mostly outdoors.

As for dress code, its essentially the same as other cruise lines.  As long as you look decent you should be fine.  I would suggest slacks as opposed to jeans on formal nights, but as long as the jeans are clean and in good shape I think you will be fine.

As for the service charge, I think it's comparable to other cruise lines.  There is the daily gratuities (which they call service charges.)  And I don't recall ever having a gratuity added to any drinks I purchased, unless they were sneaked onto the final bill.

Hope that helps a bit.

daily service charge is $12.50 per person per day you only pay 15% on the drinks if you do not take out a drinks package DOU is available from some TA it seems but if you book direct it is not available with the DOU package you pay the 15% on top of the drink price on the easy, premium, premium plus you do not

Thank you 

6.25 for a 2 year old seems a bit steep especially when you have 2 :classic_wacko:

I wont be wearing jeans on formal nights, just smart casual 

Travel agents in the UK aren't offering anything yet, the deal is Winter 19/20 so i guess I'll wait a few months and hope it moves onto summer 2020.

31 minutes ago, Itsbeentoolong said:

Travel agents in the UK aren't offering anything yet, the deal is Winter 19/20 so i guess I'll wait a few months and hope it moves onto summer 2020.

The promotions that have been mentioned here are for US bookings and, you're right, there's nothing (yet) for UK bookings.

I really wish people wouldn't assume that we're all going to get the same promotion that runs in their country!  One of the first things I do before responding to certain questions is to check if the person posing the question has indicated where they're from so I can give an answer relevant to them - MSC has different policies for different regions.

2 hours ago, Itsbeentoolong said:

Thank you 

6.25 for a 2 year old seems a bit steep especially when you have 2 :classic_wacko:

I wont be wearing jeans on formal nights, just smart casual 

That's a bargain.  We've sailed with young kids and they are messy.  Room steward now has extra beds to make up.

Other lines used to give discount for kids then went full price.  MSC has some of the lowest fees out there.