Sensation 2/7 Missed Cozumel

NYCcruiser86

Does anyone in the hive mind here know why Sensation canceled her call on Cozumel earlier today (today is Saturday 2/9)? We're scheduled to do this same itinerary in a few weeks and would hate to miss Cozumel only to have it replaced by Nassau! Anyone onboard have any updates here? On MarineTraffic.com she made a very clear U-turn around 4:45AM. Not sure on her new destination but guessing Nassau to comply with Jones Act. 

Thanks!

Hi

I know this response doesn't answer your question, but isn't this one of those situations where no matter what the reason is, there is nothing you can do about it.

At best it won't impact you at all. At worst you will get an email saying that due to mechanical issues your cruise is cancelled, and if it is something in between like your cruise will go to Nassau instead of Cozumel, it will upset you for the next two weeks. There is no point being upset. Changes in itinerary are common enough. If you were on the ship now and your itinerary were changed, there would be nothing you could do about it and being upset wouldn't help anything, just as the same would be true if they told you now that your itinerary will be changed. 

You have to be prepared to make the effort to enjoy your cruise no matter what. Sometimes for inconveniencing their clients a cruise line might offer some compensation. Sometimes people feel it is generous and sometimes they don't. If however you let unfortunate changes impact your enjoyment of the cruise then your vacation will be ruined. Insurance is designed to protect your monetary losses, but you are the only person in control about how you will feel about situations.

have a great cruise (hopefully)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NYCcruiser86 said:

Not sure on her new destination but guessing Nassau to comply with Jones Act. 

The Jones act only applies to commerce between two US ports.  Since it is a Caribbean cruise, with foreign ports, it wouldn't apply.  Unless I am missing something.  

5 hours ago, latitude918 said:

The Jones act only applies to commerce between two US ports.  Since it is a Caribbean cruise, with foreign ports, it wouldn't apply.  Unless I am missing something.  

If it's the itinerary I think it is the ship only goes to Key West FL and Cozumel so if they miss Cozumel they wouldn't hit any foreign ports.

Not sure how the govt would view this if it was a medical emergency in regards to the PVSA if they didn't visit a foreign port.

So, it's not technically the Jones Act (although that it was it is commonly referred to), but rather the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Either way, the same general principle applies to all non-US flag vessels. They have to visit a foreign port if they are beginning and ending in the US. The enforcement of this act is one of the reasons why there are no longer cruises to nowhere from US ports (side non, Carnival story: we were on a preview cruise on Harmony OTS, which was initially scheduled as a cruise to nowhere. We ended up going back and forth to Nassau (from FLL) to comply with the law).

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/~/the-jones-act-%26-the-passenger-vessel-services-act 

6 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

A crew member got very sick. My guess is that he or she needed hospitalization and Nassau was closer. 

I completely understand and agree with the reason for switching ports.

But I just cringe knowing there are people on board right now demanding refunds and free cruises because they missed their main port of call, and their lives are ruined now.  People who will say mean things about that poor sick crew member.

:classic_sad:

57 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I completely understand and agree with the reason for switching ports.

But I just cringe knowing there are people on board right now demanding refunds and free cruises because they missed their main port of call, and their lives are ruined now.  People who will say mean things about that poor sick crew member.

:classic_sad:

Oh, there already has been. One woman complained on their social media page because she’s missed Cozumel twice now. Once because of this and the other time because someone fell off the ship and they had to stay back to search for the person “whose body was never found.” Not one mention about how sorry she was that these things happened. Only how she will never make it to Cozumel. Some people are so heartless. It’s sad. 

19 hours ago, dctravel said:

So, it's not technically the Jones Act (although that it was it is commonly referred to), but rather the Passenger Vessel Services Act. They have to visit a foreign port if they are beginning and ending in the US. The enforcement of this act is one of the reasons why there are no longer cruises to nowhere from US ports

When did this go into effect? In 2013 we had a 5 day cruise from New Orleans shortened to 3 days due to fear of a storm coming in (it missed) keeping the cruise before from coming into port on schedule. We had a 3 day cruise to nowhere.

14 minutes ago, grantbob said:

When did this go into effect? In 2013 we had a 5 day cruise from New Orleans shortened to 3 days due to fear of a storm coming in (it missed) keeping the cruise before from coming into port on schedule. We had a 3 day cruise to nowhere.

carnival might of gotten a wavier to not pay PVSA fees for missing a port due to weather or just ate the costs and paid for everyone fee