Tourist1292

Here are the latest update including December 2018 scores:

Constellation: 99 (4/2/2016)

Eclipse: 100 (11/26/2017)

Edge: 90 (12/9/2018), another reason to save your money

Equinox: 99 (12/22/2018)

Infinity: 99 (11/10/2018)

Millennium: 98 (8/23/2017)

Reflection: 97 (12/21/2018), down from 100 in March.

Sihouette: 97 (4/2/2018)

Solstice: 98 (10/2/2018)

Summit: 96 (8/19/2018)

Edited by Tourist1292
  • Thanks 1

While the scores are a good starting place for evaluating ships, it is helpful to remember that this inspection score is a "snapshot" of the ship's operation at that moment.  For someone like me who has been on the receiving end of a USPH inspection score, what is more important is consistency of scores, which shows a much better inculcation and adoption of the USPH culture into everyday operations, than an up and down record of scores, which can be indicative of a "test prep" mentality where "best behavior" is only pushed just before inspections.

• Like 3

The scores do go and down inspection by inspection but within a rather narrow range. The inspections were unannounced, so there is little preparation can be done. The full reports are available on CDC's website with correction reports if one is interested. One can search the inspection history of each ship for all the previous scores.

2 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

The scores do go and down inspection by inspection but within a rather narrow range. The inspections were unannounced, so there is little preparation can be done. The full reports are available on CDC's website with correction reports if one is interested. One can search the inspection history of each ship for all the previous scores.

But, the "passing" range is also narrow.  A drop of 3 points, as Reflection is noted to have done between two inspections in the same year, represents a 20% lower passing score.  And, while I'm fully aware that the inspections are unannounced (have undergone many of them), ships always know when an inspection is "likely", and the inspectors are quite aware that "test prep" goes on, and have the questions and areas of inspection that they key on that will show whether or not the "culture" of sanitation is ingrained into daily behavior.  This is one reason they require a meal service during the inspection, so they can question the staff on procedures during the stress of a meal service, to see how ingrained the procedure is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But the ship I chose to cruise on in 5 weeks, Edge, got a score of only 90, the lowest of any Celebrity ship. Clearly the management and crew training is not consistent across the fleet! Very disappointed.

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

But the ship I chose to cruise on in 5 weeks, Edge, got a score of only 90, the lowest of any Celebrity ship. Clearly the management and crew training is not consistent across the fleet! Very disappointed.

But even with a score of 90, USPH inspectors will tell you that that ship is cleaner and safer than 99% of land based restaurants, as most USPH inspectors are former state/local health inspectors, many from NYC.  The score, and its possible deductions cover far more areas of the ship than a restaurant's health inspection does.  Not saying 90 is a great score, just that it should not cause undue concern, as there were very few food safety issues, and none were egregious.

• Thanks 1

It is really interesting to read the detailed reports and the actual reasons for the deductions.  I think most passengers would be surprised at what can cause point reductions and the inspections certainly keep the crew on their toes.   I recall one late night on HAL's Prinsendam when we were ending a long 2 month cruise in Port Everglades.  In the Crows Nest bar, a bar tender who was a friend was crawling on his hands/knees carefully cleaning every inch of the inside of the lower cabinets.  That old ship would usually get very high scores which was made more difficult by the age of the vessel.  No way are there similar standards for land-based restaurants.

Hank

Honestly i’m pretty sure when I have been ill on previous cruises it had little to do with the cruise line and a lot more about the personal hygiene of the passengers. If I had my way I would block entry to the buffet unless you used the hand sanitizers, it’s dreadful to see so many people that simply don’t care what they pass on.