Epic Interrupted

Briji04

5 hours ago, Mattnvick said:

Figured it would impact at least some people. So sad. No wonder he/ she is not happy. Its turning into  gong show.

They really thought pax that had been told to cancel due to late arrival were  going to view this as " good news" good news for who NCL? 

That announcer should keep her head well below the parapet. Im sure a lot of people would love to chat to her about why she  thinks this  is " good news" 😱 

That cruise director is Mandy Jones....had her on Epic in January. She's personable and walks around looking pretty, but she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. This is also probably her first time through something like this and she is trying to spin it positively.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

My friends are staying the night since they missed their flight and lost their hotel booking. Sounds like the need to get off, go thru customs and then get back on again Lol

I asked this before and didn't get an answer. Does anyone know why they have to go through customs if the ship never made any stops at foreign ports?

4 minutes ago, johare said:

I asked this before and didn't get an answer. Does anyone know why they have to go through customs if the ship never made any stops at foreign ports?

I have no idea, I do know my friends are not happy Lol

7 hours ago, blcruising said:

Based on my January Epic cruise, the terminal NCL uses in Port Canaveral is outdated and, in my opinion, not equipped to handle a ship the size of Epic.

Absolutely.  I cruise exclusively with NCL, and other than the Bliss and Joy, I've sailed on all of the mega ships.  Terminal 10 in Canaveral is okay for a port of call for the big ships, but embarkation last April aboard Epic was horrible.  They literally closed the security line until boarding began because they had no more room for passengers, leaving us standing there.  (Not that they communicated that.)

• Like 1

if you are a ship freak and want some insite to this incident

I'd offer this report of the Cel' ship that slammed the pier in Alaska in a similar way

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/MAB1736.pdf

the report offers many pilot did this and capt did that

but the report from NTSB ends .....

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the Celebrity Infinity’s allision with the dock was the master’s failure to plan, monitor, and execute a safe docking evolution.

It is the CAPTAIN/MASTER responsibility ........ as I said ... this comes with the job .. 

Edited by Capt_BJ

15 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

if you are a ship freak and want some insite to this incident

I'd offer this report of the Cel' ship that slammed the pier in Alaska in a similar way

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/MAB1736.pdf

the report offers many pilot did this and capt did that

but the report from NTSB ends .....

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the Celebrity Infinity’s allision with the dock was the master’s failure to plan, monitor, and execute a safe docking evolution.

It is the CAPTAIN/MASTER responsibility ........ as I said ... this comes with the job .. 

The stern, the stern!

funny thing happens when you drop an anchor when maneuvering to the pier  - which is/was common before thrusters - it changes the ship's "pivot point" ...... and YES .... the bow slows down but the butt SPEEDS UP ....

The anchor remains the 'emergency brake' for a ship ..... but kinda like a car where you slam it and all you did was lock the back brakes ... on a ship you locked the fronts

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

The captain on one of my NCL cruises held a Q&A and someone asked him who is responsible if something goes wrong, the harbor pilot or the captain.  The captain replied that he is always the responsible person, ie, it's his ultimate responsibility to control the ship.  So yes, he captain is "the man" as they say.

Edited by The Other Tom
  • Like 1

I suspect that in a Q/A session many folks dismiss this as hubris

but legally it is a BIG deal

the MASTER is the DUDE

4 years as the DUDE ..... "o sorry, the pilot did that"

NOT!!!!!!!!

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

funny thing happens when you drop an anchor when maneuvering to the pier  - which is/was common before thrusters - it changes the ship's "pivot point" ...... and YES .... the bow slows down but the butt SPEEDS UP ....

The anchor remains the 'emergency brake' for a ship ..... but kinda like a car where you slam it and all you did was lock the back brakes ... on a ship you locked the fronts

This is how I used to dock in Nikiski, AK circa 2009 - drop the outboard anchor and pin the bow against the dock to pass the lines

Sounds like my friend probably made her original 8:30pm flight back to the West Coast.

Lucky for her she ended up not canceling her flight, though she did book a second one for Sunday at a cost of $234, thinking she'd miss the Saturday one. It ended up being cheaper to just buy a new one-way ticket on a different airline than pay the ticket differential plus change fee on her original airline.

Presumably, NCL is still covering up to $300 in cost for those still affected by travel disruptions; even though she's not taking the Sunday flight, she's not getting the money back. Guess she'll see.

Edited by rabidstoat

They have said we could stay overnight on the ship.

However, we have had to send our luggage down, exit the ship, pick up our luggage, go through passport control, drop off the luggage with porters then go through security screening and sit In the terminal with boarding numbers to get back in the ship.  It. took two hours. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Briji04 said:

However, we have had to send our luggage down, exit the ship, pick up our luggage, go through passport control, drop off the luggage with porters then go through security screening and sit In the terminal with boarding numbers to get back in the ship.  It. took two hours. 

Just want to thank you for starting this thread and keeping us informed, sorry you have been through so much, we canceled, we are only an hour and a half from the port so no big deal for us but feel so bad for everyone else that has been inconvenienced, I hope everyone was kind to one another and the crew, you seemed to have had a great attitude, safe travels home tomorrow.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Briji04 said:

Yes, thank you Briji04 for keeping us updated so well.   I stuck with the upcoming cruise, and I hope to salvage a good time.  I'm expecting more than a few vocal people to be aboard.  There is another group here in my hotel and the front desk agent said they have done nothing but complain about everything concerning this cruise..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Briji04 said:

exit the ship, pick up our luggage, go through passport control, drop off the luggage with porters then go through security screening and sit In the terminal with boarding numbers to get back in the ship.  It. took two hours.

Well , at least you got to try out your land legs again :classic_tongue:  Seriously that had to be a pain in the arise. 

2 minutes ago, dad son team said:

Yes, thank you Briji04 for keeping us updated so well.   I stuck with the upcoming cruise, and I hope to salvage a good time.  I'm expecting more than a few vocal people to be aboard.  There is another group here in my hotel and the front desk agent said they have done nothing but complain about everything concerning this cruise..

I have to tell you that after spending the better part of the last eight days on board the Norwegian Epic...We’ve had a wonderful experience. Yes we were disappointed in not getting to our ports...and yes this was not the cruise we expected to have… But the crew could not have been nicer… The food across the board has been great… Except for solid wind, and a decent swell for the first few days the weather has been exceptional.  We are getting a 100% credit towards another cruise and our travel change expenditures are covered up to $300 for each of the two of us (DW). There will always be people that will ***** and complain when inconvenienced, and there absolutely were some other passengers that had experienced more issues than we did, but please....we could have been back in the northeast in the cold and at work. Just my $.02 having been on this cruise with all of the other CCer’s giving their respective inputs in this thread. I believe the half full crowd vs half empty crowd is fairly well represented and their respective thoughts are well articulated in the various posts here....And FYI, we are at the Waves Bar on the Epic as I write this at 10:11pm, Saturday night, where we will be spending the night in our cabin, and NCL is honoring our UBP package, and we are drinking with our fellow passengers...Cheers 🥂

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3