Room service, ??????s

dundeene

I tried the search feature without much clarity. . . .

• It sounds like you can order breakfast room service with a mimosa in a NS, but does the meal come from MDR or Pinnacle Grill?
  • Can you have dinner from Pinnacle Grill delivered by room service?
  •  Dinner from Canaletto delivered by room service?
  • If you have the SBP can you have wine delivered with room service dinners?
  • Can they deliver from the Dive-In?
  • Can you have GDR food delivered on Gala night?
  • Is there an additional fee other than tip?

Am I a hermit unwilling to leave my cabin? No

We have an aft wrap on deck 5 on Westerdam for an Alaska cruise. We have never been to Alaska and expect to "live" on the balcony on sea days. I don't want to miss the amazing scenery.  

Thank you for all the help you have provided so far.  The old search function seemed to work better;)

I'll try to answer what questions I can.

Dive-in can be ordered, but there is a charge.  $4.95, I believe.

Room service meals come from an area of the MDR Galley that is devoted to the preparation of such.

There is no Room Service Service Charge as there is in a hotel, but there is a charge for any items that are not on the regular Room Service Menu.  A gratuity in relation to the size of your Room Service order ought to offered to the Room Service Steward.

You indicated that you expected to "live" on your balcony during the duration of your cruise.  If it is windy and cold, as it can be in Alaska, you may change your mind.  The best place to "live" on an Alaskan cruise is in the Crow's Nest and out on the open decks.  Staying on your balcony will give you a more limited view and reduce your chances of seeing wildlife.

24 minutes ago, dundeene said:

I tried the search feature without much clarity. . . .

• It sounds like you can order breakfast room service with a mimosa in a NS, but does the meal come from MDR or Pinnacle Grill?
  • Can you have dinner from Pinnacle Grill delivered by room service?
  •  Dinner from Canaletto delivered by room service?
  • If you have the SBP can you have wine delivered with room service dinners?
  • Can they deliver from the Dive-In?
  • Can you have GDR food delivered on Gala night?
  • Is there an additional fee other than tip?

Am I a hermit unwilling to leave my cabin? No

We have an aft wrap on deck 5 on Westerdam for an Alaska cruise. We have never been to Alaska and expect to "live" on the balcony on sea days. I don't want to miss the amazing scenery.  

Thank you for all the help you have provided so far.  The old search function seemed to work better;)

You have my favorite stateroom on every HAL vista class ship and you can indeed spend most of your time on your balcony.  Note that your balcony can hold about 50 of your good friends, you be outside with no wind on the aft portion, and have perfect photo opportunities.  The balcony table takes a 70" round tablecloth and is a good place to keep a big plate of nachos from the Taco Bar as you are looking for sea life.

Here is a link to the Room Service Breakfast card for NS:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-Breakfast-PSNeptune-Suites.pdf

Here is the Room Service menu that indicates some items from the PG:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

You can order from the Gala Night menu and have it delivered by Room Service.  See the Concierage to arrange.  This is also applicable to any MDR dinner meal.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

I don't disagree with Crew News post.  But, one reason I enjoy being on the open decks or in the Crow's Nest is to be able to hear the commentary by the EXC Guide or any other such person that is aboard for that purpose--maybe NPS Ranger.  Remaining on one's balcony, unless your hearing is better than mine (quite likely), much, if not all, of what is said is missed.  Sometimes, the commentary is piped in through the TV.  But, that is an unsatisfactory situation--popping in and out of the cabin to hear what is being said.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't disagree with Crew News post.  But, one reason I enjoy being on the open decks or in the Crow's Nest is to be able to hear the commentary by the EXC Guide or any other such person that is aboard for that purpose--maybe NPS Ranger.  Remaining on one's balcony, unless your hearing is better than mine (quite likely), much, if not all, of what is said is missed.  Sometimes, the commentary is piped in through the TV.  But, that is an unsatisfactory situation--popping in and out of the cabin to hear what is being said.

Advice from my sister was to bring a cordless baby monitor.  She placed it near the TV with the receiver on the balcony.

We do plan to head out front as we near the Margerie Glacier, but for the sail in and out we expect to be mostly on our wrap balcony.  I understand from others who have sailed in our cabin that the view will be very good. We are also bringing very good binoculars to spot whales and other wildlife.

Being from a very cold midwestern state, we can be comfortable outside at temperatures far colder than we expect for Alaska in May;) I'll have my zephyr base, hot-chillys, wool socks, mittens etc. 

With a cup of hot chocolate, I expect to enjoy the scenery.

• Thanks 1

Good answers to your questions. Regarding the wine via room  service, I don't think the SBP covers room service. I know when we had the SBP I had to pay for two sodas ordered from room service.

We had a aft wrap for an Alaska trip in May. We were comfortable with a sweater except for Glacier Bay when we needed a little more.

I think it is partly what you are used to. . . . 

I am from the area where IA, SD, MN come together.  It can get really cold with brutal winter winds. We go about our business unless the windchill drops below  -35, when the school buses start to have mechanical issues. 

On a 50 degree day in late March, all the kids break out the shorts and tees! I think May in Alaska will feel very comfortable for us.

Edited by dundeene

8 hours ago, dundeene said:

With a cup of hot chocolate, I expect to enjoy the scenery.

The baby monitor idea is straight up genius!

Alaska cruise tip: Bring an insulated travel mug from home (or buy one underway).  It beats trying to re-fill those tiny coffee cups on the ship 50 times, and it stays hot for hours.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dundeene said:

Advice from my sister was to bring a cordless baby monitor.  She placed it near the TV with the receiver on the balcony.

We do plan to head out front as we near the Margerie Glacier, but for the sail in and out we expect to be mostly on our wrap balcony.  

Brilliant! 

We had a huge aft wrap Neptune in Alaska for our 10th anniversary cruise. I tell folks we could have 40 of our closest friends and a band on that balcony it was so huge. We spent every available moment on it sometimes snuggled up on longers in coat hat and flannel deck blankie mug of hot coffee in hand. The experience was fantastic. You will love it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

We have ordered items for room service (breakfast and dinner) that are not on the room service menu and never have been charged.

Me either.  In fact, most of my breakfast room service order isn't on the menu.  No problem.  I usually get everything I order with no charge.

• Thanks 1

Same for us.  75% of the items on our breakfast order door hanger tag are write-ins.   We have never been charged extra, (but we make sure to tip the delivery guy) and we also have never had any items refused that we have written in.  And that includes Eggs Benedict, (Canadian bacon version, not the one with salmon.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAD2005 said:

Same for us.  75% of the items on our breakfast order door hanger tag are write-ins.   We have never been charged extra, (but we make sure to tip the delivery guy) and we also have never had any items refused that we have written in.  And that includes Eggs Benedict, (Canadian bacon version, not the one with salmon.)

I don't eat salmon, so that is exactly the change I wanted to make at breakfast.