New Year Cruise to Bruges & Amsterdam J921

Freddyboy

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't get why P&O simply didn't make the passengers pay the extra 8 Euros.  It's hardly a lot of money?

I agree....I have been affected twice this year....two different cruise companies....with the POC being changed from Amsterdam....I would gladly have paid the 8 Euros on both cruises for the convenience of being in easy walking distance of Amsterdam without all the " faffing" with shuttle buses

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't get why P&O simply didn't make the passengers pay the extra 8 Euros.  It's hardly a lot of money?

I agree. However from what I have read (and which I posted on another thread) the maritime news websites are all reporting that the cruise lines are taking a stand against the passenger tax being introduced. MSC in particular are being very vocal on what they think about it. There is a hole in the city budget which this new tax will fill.

Obviously the cruise companies who are loyal in visiting Amsterdam do not feel it is right and hence have all pulled out (I know CMV are also now not docking in Amsterdam itself).

I guess they are trying to force Amsterdam into reversing their decision, and time will tell.

The way P&O have handled the situation with their passengers is the bigger problem here. More communication and being up front with the operational side of things would have been appreciated by everyone, as well as giving those an opportunity to switch cruises or cancel, is all that was needed (like MSC have offered). It doesn't seem like too much to ask for!

Edited by CarlaMarie

We are due overnight in Amsterdam on Fred's Boudicca early April and no change mentioned to us.  We have had late changes announced before by Fred so checked the port site, but Amsterdam also think we are still docking there, so looks good at present.

Fred could be rubbing his hands with glee about this as he now markets heavily on going to more unusual locations and docking closer to the places visited in his smaller ships.  That is what keeps us booking with him more often than not, despite his increased prices, though prices are not that bad if you book when his offers are on e.g. 3 for 2.  Run of the mill cruises are cheaper with P&O though and we do go for them at times - share benefit and the free parking helps too.

Have tried MSC and decided they are too downmarket for us, but each to their own.

Edited by tring

• 2 weeks later...