Edge Infinite Veranda - curtain question

DebInAntigua

Ok, so I've become convinced that I should plan to bring some sort of sheer curtain to hang from magnetic ceiling hooks so we can have some filtered sunlight, but with a bit of privacy.

Does anyone know the actual height and width dimensions of an Edge IV cabin, near the veranda area?

I confess:  We religiously travel light.  One carryon size bag each, and a personal bag (tote/handbag or a small day pack).  Wash clothes in sink or other methods.

Maybe that's why I don't get this whole thing.  You pay extra for a veranda, then you have to buy stuff to make it habitable?  And you have MORE stuff to lug in your suitcase?  And fool around to set this up?

Sorry, but I can't help but wonder why folks just book a different type of cabin or another ship instead.

Edited by jkgourmet

As I recall the width of the veranda itself is about 7'4"... that is measured on the floor from wall to wall. the only privacy issue is while in port... pulled up next to another ship. Since the walls of the veranda are walls not 3/4" plexiglass... you have good privacy from cabins next to you. I wish I could find it ... but someone did post a photo of a black out curtain that was hung using magnetic hooks from the ceiling.... it did not cover the whole area..but just enough to block out light for a sleeping partner. What we did while in port was to lower the shade ...not all the way...but enough that I felt I had enough privacy. 

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

That was The post I referenced.  Follow that link for photos.

Thanks.. I missed it... I hit the main thread.... overlooked this post. This actually looks quite nice. Perhaps on Apex they could build in hooks and have curtains available for those who want either privacy or darkness

2 hours ago, kearney said:

As I recall the width of the veranda itself is about 7'4"... that is measured on the floor from wall to wall. the only privacy issue is while in port... pulled up next to another ship. Since the walls of the veranda are walls not 3/4" plexiglass... you have good privacy from cabins next to you. I wish I could find it ... but someone did post a photo of a black out curtain that was hung using magnetic hooks from the ceiling.... it did not cover the whole area..but just enough to block out light for a sleeping partner. What we did while in port was to lower the shade ...not all the way...but enough that I felt I had enough privacy. 

Unless you mistakenly book a an I V  near a jut out. No privacy on mine

12 minutes ago, Caymus88 said:

Oh I forgot.... you guys look right into the suite veranda as I recall.... yeah your gona want a bit more coverage. 

6 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Sorry, but I can't help but wonder why folks just book a different type of cabin or another ship instead.

You have to realize that many of us booked as much as two years ago, when booking first opened, prices were somewhat reasonable and before any of these problems were known. To rebook another style cabin closer to the sail date, with the crazy insane prices, is cost prohibitive. So the desire to sail on Edge has necessitated some creative, cheap solutions. 

• Thanks 1

If they simply went back to queen-sized beds, use that foot gained from the reduced bed width to give us back an additional foot of depth in the infinite balcony, and put blackout curtains on the inside of the folding doors, much of this frustration would go away. Sorry, I'm being too logical...

34 minutes ago, twodjs said:

You have to realize that many of us booked as much as two years ago, when booking first opened, prices were somewhat reasonable and before any of these problems were known. To rebook another style cabin closer to the sail date, with the crazy insane prices, is cost prohibitive. So the desire to sail on Edge has necessitated some creative, cheap solutions. 

Valid reason and Good point.  👍👍

Note to self:  be very hesitant before booking on a new ship.

7 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

I confess:  We religiously travel light.  One carryon size bag each, and a personal bag (tote/handbag or a small day pack).  Wash clothes in sink or other methods.

Maybe that's why I don't get this whole thing.  You pay extra for a veranda, then you have to buy stuff to make it habitable?  And you have MORE stuff to lug in your suitcase?  And fool around to set this up?

Not many choices on EDGE for a true balcony. Only .Sunset Verandas, suites or hull balcony.. by the time we   all figured this out,  too  expensive to relocate cabin or change ships.  The big draw was EDGE itself,....We did okay with the Sunroom style veranda,.def not a balcony..clearly misnamed!

3 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

Wow.,.

Glad we moved our AQ  cabin awhile  before our Jan EDGE cruise.,  We based the move on possible lack of a view out to  one side,.We were 2 doors from the jut out and at one point the cabin one door closer was re classified obstructed view..so we moved,

Never thought about others looking in!  We had that issue once located next to a suite,. We had a tiny pie shaped  balc and they could see right into our cabin,..Glad we moved..Sorry you got snagged!

Edited by hcat