Cyclone OMA watch

• 3 months later...
On 2/22/2019 at 10:50 PM, GUT2407 said:

And to be fair on average something like 10 Cyclones occur each year in waters off Australia, and the BOM say cyclone season is 1 Nov to 30 April, and when is peak cruise season???

It looks like peak cruise season overlaps cyclone season.  Guess I have to keep that in mind, although Australia cruise is a few years away for us.

12 hours ago, Tom47 said:

It looks like peak cruise season overlaps cyclone season.  Guess I have to keep that in mind, although Australia cruise is a few years away for us.

It is certainly no more affected than Hurricane season in the Caribbean.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is certainly no more affected than Hurricane season in the Caribbean.

While my DB and DSIL have taken several Caribbean cruises during hurricanes season, I have only taken one, last week of October and it was our first big ship cruise and with them.  They tried to get us to cruise with them for ten years, but I was afraid of sea sickness.

9 hours ago, Tom47 said:

While my DB and DSIL have taken several Caribbean cruises during hurricanes season, I have only taken one, last week of October and it was our first big ship cruise and with them.  They tried to get us to cruise with them for ten years, but I was afraid of sea sickness.

I suppose my point is that there can be storms no matter where you go but the ships do there utmost to avoid bad weather so that the passengers can enjoy the cruise (and spend more).

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I suppose my point is that there can be storms no matter where you go but the ships do there utmost to avoid bad weather so that the passengers can enjoy the cruise (and spend more).

Yes.  The worse seas we have been in were in July in the Coral Sea cruising from Luganville to Sydney. We had 12metre seas, but the Pacific Dawn heading for Brisbane encountered 14 metre seas.

Cyclones can be an issue in far northern Australia, but the ships detour to avoid really bad weather if the can. They don't want any damage to their ship and they want people to enjoy their cruise.

We try to avoid cruising to North Queensland or around northern Australia from (say) mid December to early March, but that is mainly because it will be very hot, very humid and likely raining a fair bit of the time.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:34 PM, MicCanberra said:

This is true.  DB and DSIL were on a Caribbean cruise and the ship left one port early, sending crew into town to pick up passengers.